DS turning 16 in a couple of months...DBS?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default DS turning 16 in a couple of months...DBS?

DS has just had a letter with his NI number in it from HMRC, which made me think about him needing a DBS when he turns 16 ( in a couple of months ) I KNOW there have been threads about this before, but I can't find them !!!

Do I need to be proactive and get this done, so that he has it when he turns 16, or do I have to wait until he is 16 in order to apply? Do I go through Ofsted or ??? and do I need to do the update thing? ( I have a CRB myself!, and although I have a DBS for school and chaperoning, I don't need the annual update thing! so I don't really know what it is for. )

What happens if his DBS has not come through and I get inspected, and he is already 16? I don't 'think' I am due an inspection for at least another year, but you never know. although DS is in the house after school and in the holidays, he rarely comes near the minded children! ( although, he is really good with them when he does, or if I make him come out with me! )

Thank you in advance!

xx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can't do it until he turns 16. Ofsted will send you a letter to tell you to start it.

As long as it's started if you are inspected that is all that matters.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes Kiddleywinks, loocyloo liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was inspected but hadn't received it through, she could see it had been started, so no need to worry

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks both.

So I wait for a letter from Ofsted? ... !

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

as others said they contact you as soon as he turns 16, cam a day or two after my daughters birthday but also dont forget to fill in the other form, the name escapes me but could be ey2? sure someone will verify. i totally forgot to do this and got a letter saying i had 7 days to complete it or reg suspended

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

yes Ofsted will be in touch after his birthday.

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysright View Post
    as others said they contact you as soon as he turns 16, cam a day or two after my daughters birthday but also dont forget to fill in the other form, the name escapes me but could be ey2? sure someone will verify. i totally forgot to do this and got a letter saying i had 7 days to complete it or reg suspended

Ooo thanks ... do Ofsted tell you this in same letter about dbs?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Ooo thanks ... do Ofsted tell you this in same letter about dbs?
    Yes everything is in the letter. You ds will we'd his own gateway though. You can't use yours.

What I did find easier was for them to use their phone number but my email address so I didn't rely on ds remembering to do or tell me something
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

13. Likes loocyloo, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Yes everything is in the letter. You ds will we'd his own gateway though. You can't use yours.

What I did find easier was for them to use their phone number but my email address so I didn't rely on ds remembering to do or tell me something
    Brilliant! Thank you!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought I'd post an update for anyone else with a nearly or just 16 yr old ....

I hadn't heard anything so I emailed and asked about getting DBS for my 16 yr old! From reading this response ( below! ) I read it that Ofsted won't be sending me a letter and that it's down to DS to do it himself! ... which of course he won't, so I'll have to do it! Job for tonight I think!

Thank you for contacting us.

Anybody aged 16 years old or over who lives at a childminding setting must undergo suitability checks. They should first submit an EY2 form through their own account at Ofsted Online.

They should then apply for an enhanced criminal records disclosure. We recommend using the Ofsted DBS Application website, since this will make the application process more straight-forward. You can refer to that website for the full guidance on the DBS application process.

Please note that the Ofsted DBS Application website includes the option of subscribing to the Update Service. This is an annual subscription that will keep the disclosure information on the certificate up-to-date. Ofsted recommends that everybody subscribes to the Update Service. However, this is not compulsory.

Once your household member has submitted their EY2 form, we will complete any other checks that are necessary and will write to you once these are complete.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

me again!!!

so, I've now filled in all the forms ( with DS! ) ... located 2 forms of ID ... but h needs 3 ... he has nothing else, as his banking is all done online! So I'm going to have to ask his head teacher to write a letter!

again, it said you don't NEED to sign up to annual update thing, but they recommend it ... why? what is the benefit? I can't see DS needing or wanting or doing anything that requires him to have a dbs in the near, or not so near future. any thoughts anyone?

Thanks x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There doesnt seem to be any reason to sign up to the dbs update because its still not transferable with it being hone based.

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

loocyloo thank you for keeping us informed as my youngest son also turns 16 this year. With regard to the dbs update service I recently contacted my local early years adviser as we have 2 in this house on the update service that are due for renewal soon and I was concerned. She responded saying that they consulted Ofsted on this and their response was 'if the dbs is done via capita the dbs update service can cease however if the dbs was done through any other organisation it has to be maintained and subscribed to he annual update service'.

I'll follow their advice as they are my local early years advisers and fortunately both mine are through capita. Not sure what other early years teams are advising.

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

AND today! ... I got the letter telling me DS needed to do EY2 and DBS!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

AND today! ... I got the letter telling me DS needed to do EY2 and DBS!
    And when did your ds turn 16? Storing all this info for later in the year so I don't panic.

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He was 16 on the 21st ... letter dated 21st ( which was a Saturday ) ... arrived on 28th!

😊

I definitely agree with the post saying put your email ... already had 2 emails telling be I had messages ( both saying things were being processed! )

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He was 16 on the 21st ... letter dated 21st ( which was a Saturday ) ... arrived on 28th!

😊

I definitely agree with the post saying put your email ... already had 2 emails telling be I had messages ( both saying things were being processed! )
    So much easier than hoping they remember ir is that just with my eldest boy

26. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just to update to say .... i am STILL waiting for a response from Ofsted about DSs EY2 form!

i emailed to ask about it, and email response confirms they have his received his submitted EY2 and will be in touch 'if they need to' ??? !!!! surely he or i need a response !!!! glad i'm not a new childminder waiting! they had his DBS a month ago! that only took about 4 weeks!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodness. Thanks for keeping us updated. My turn soon.

29. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FINAL UPDATE !!!

I had an answerphone message from Ofsted last wednesday, saying they would call again ( but nothing that made it sound like an inspector calling about an inspection! Phew! ) and then YESTERDAY, 11 weeks after DS filled in his EY2 form, I got a letter saying he was a suitable person! ( They also said they would be writing to DS to tell him ... but nothing yet )

DD doesn't turn 16 for another 2 and a bit years ... just wondering if i should start applying for her now !!!!

31. Likes Maza, BallyH liked this post