30 hours funded and tax credits
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 30 hours funded and tax credits

Does anyone know much about a parent claiming tax credits and using the 30 hours funding for their 3year old?

I have a mum who is a single parent claiming tax credits, including the childcare element. Her child will turn 3 soon so she was hoping to be entitled to the full 30 hours funding, split between me and nursery. He’s here for 36 hours a week. I’ve told her she needs to look into it carefully as I’ve heard some people saying it’s not worth claiming the additional 15 hours as tax credits will be stopped. I can’t seem to find any definite information on this.

Does anyone know how it works?

Would she lose all her tax credits if she claimed the 30 hours funding, or just the childcare element?
    What happens during school holidays? Can she claim tax credits for the full childcare costs then when there’s no funding?
    Could she claim 30hours funded and the other 6 through tax credits?

It all seems a bit unclear to me

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When she goes onto the government site, she needs to make sure she ticks the correct box - this wasn't very clear initially, so they've added a section that gives 2 choices:
    Keep my tax credits and only apply for 30 hours free childcare, or
    stop my tax credits and apply for both tax free childcare and 30 hours free childcare

By keeping her tax credits, she will be able to claim for any additional childcare costs, including hours not in term time, plus receive her 30 hours.

This will mean that her tax credits received will go down as a result of claiming for less childcare payments.

Currently claiming for 36 hours with you so will be in receipt of approx 70% for your fees.

Starts claiming 30 hours funded childcare at nursery - won't be entitled to claim via tax credits anymore
    Can continue to claim 70% of the 6 hours she pays you, plus any holiday hours out of term time

Hope that makes sense

3. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, that makes it a lot clearer.

5. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They need to go on the childcare choices website and they have a calculator to help parents work out their best option.
    Pixie Dust

7. Likes Mouse liked this post
    nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

i think you can average it out as well so if she needs to pay for 6 hours per week and then 13 weeks school holidays the tax credits can take this into account and parents receive equal payments

9. Likes Mouse liked this post