Ofsted inspections during cold weather with babies
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted inspections during cold weather with babies

Morning everyone, hope you are all keeping warm. I 've been thinking, if you have an inspection when it's very cold are we expected to take non walking babies outside in the garden?
    We get out and about everyday but usually they are wrapped up in a pushchair?

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say a definite no.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe wrap the babies up warm in all in one suits and cosy toes in buggy and tell Ofsted that they are welcome to join you on a walk round your local area to look at your neighbours Christmas decorations and to delivery Christmas cards - if they say "No", tell the children you will do it when the nice lady (or man) has gone home as all the neighbours look forward to seeing you out and about. Then it's "them" who said no to going out, rather than you!

4. Likes moggy, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I wouldn't risk not having the 'box ticked' by not offering it on the day. I know we don't do it to get the box ticked, but, the reality is that they do have boxes to tick. Yes, you can have lots of photos to show them of children learning in your outdoor area, but it is not the same as actually seeing it in action for themselves.

The inspector will want to check your garden anyway, to check that it is safe and suitable, and so you would probably want to go out with him/her to talk them through it and have your mindees in tow. Make sure you have suitable clothing at yours just incase the parents forget to send it on that day. It was snowing when I had mine and I couldn't find one mindees snowsuit in his bag. Fortunately I had spare. I would have hated to not be able to get the outdoor box ticked because someone else forgetting to send appropriate clothes. I found the suit when the inspector left - I think I was just so stressed that I couldn't see for looking, lol.

Ok, so thunder and lightening, no, gale force winds, no, torrential rain - probably not, unless you had a sheltered area. Remember though, inspections last for several hours and so there may be a gap in the rain/wind/storm where you could get outside briefly. The children might also benefit from just a short period outside and would be calmer when you got back inside - less stressful for you! Do you have a thick ground sheet/picnic rug where you could put the baby down to play and explore? Not for very long, of course. Babies love watching branches swaying in the breeze.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a travel cot that I save for using outside. I find it really handy to put the non-walkers in when the ground is really cold or muddy. I've even put those microwave hotwater bottles in with them if it's cold - something warm for them to play with!

7. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My crawlers were out playing yesterday , wrapped up warm and dry , extra socks over mittens for little hands. Admittedly we haven’t had the worst of the snow , it was about 1 degree here. They were fine for a short period and loved being out with the others , they love the excitement in the others voices more than anything.
    I don’t really count being out in the buggy as outdoor time , it’s necessary of course and they do get fresh air but I try and have places to go where they can get out into the environment and be involved.

9. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo, Maza liked this post