Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do your mindees sleep?

Hi

I'm new to childminding and this is my first post so hello from me
    I have 2 little ones on my books currently that are a year old and another that is 10 months. not on the same days though. I have a travel cot with video monitor set up in my bedroom for them to have a good sleep. Is this ok? I've read a few things recently that it's not as if you had to evacuate etc. But as a mummy I'd want my child to have a good sleep in a cot rather than a push chair especially if it's their main sleep of the day.
    I don't have the room to have a cot set up down stairs.

Your thoughts and advice please x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is okay. I have 1-2 sleeping in cots upstairs with listening monitors. Sometimes one in a buggy downstairs or in a travel cot downstairs. As long as in sight OR hearing at all time, and if you have thought about how you'd get them out in an emergency, then that is fine. I have had several parents comment how well their little ones sleep here compared to a noisy nursery. A quiet bedroom is perfect, just risk assess like you would any other aspect of your day.

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

After the initial baby stage, I tended to have all asleep/ resting at the same time, upstairs in proper cots and beds, from 10months -4. As Moggy said, my parents also were amazed at how they slept here compared to with grandparents day or nursery, on mats or in buggies.
    Because we all went up after lunch it meant I was upstairs too, so the sleeping babies and toddlers were in my ear and eye shot ( through the gap in the door). The older children rested with an audio story and their own interest resting box for quiet play.
    I did have 4 bedrooms and beds not in use by family- I sat on the landing on our rocker and started their diaries with a quiet 10 minute coffee after lunch, then played quietly with the older children who just had a rest. On two days this was our phonic focus time with reading games or we played games that a younger child may not have been able to join in-grown up children time.
    They all loved the routine and if for some reason it didn’t happy they were put out and disappointed.
    I think it is good for children to play quietly on their own sometimes too.
    When I had babies I did prefer not to be too far away when they slept, and since we were all upstairs It was very easy to check on them regularly.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have babes up to about 18mths asleep in lie flat buggies in the garden. If it's REALLY bad weather, I pop the buggy somewhere downstairs. 18mth to 2ish yr olds, (depending on child) genetally go in travel cot and over 2s sleep on mats with snuggly blankets. Travel cot(s) and sleep mats go in dining room. If I have a 'screamer', then I put that child in sitting room.
    Children who don't sleep anymore, usually have 30mins rest/quiet time on a sleep mat and then I get them up to play quietly in the playroom whilst I prep tea/do diaries and then we play together.
    Everyone has a sleep/rest after lunch and that is when I sit down with a hot cup of tea and have 15 mins to myself before I start tea prep & diaries.

Mine all sleep well, and one of my babes sleeps much better here than he does at home (during the day) and I think it's because he can't move around in buggy and so goes to sleep and doesn't wake himself up. He then sleeps better at home those nights as not over tired.
    Last edited by loocyloo; 23-11-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissKK View Post
    Hi

I'm new to childminding and this is my first post so hello from me
    I have 2 little ones on my books currently that are a year old and another that is 10 months. not on the same days though. I have a travel cot with video monitor set up in my bedroom for them to have a good sleep. Is this ok? I've read a few things recently that it's not as if you had to evacuate etc. But as a mummy I'd want my child to have a good sleep in a cot rather than a push chair especially if it's their main sleep of the day.
    I don't have the room to have a cot set up down stairs.

Your thoughts and advice please x
    Same as other posts I sleep my babies up to the age of 2 upstairs in a travel cot. If they still need a sleep after that age they still go up if they need to or just nap on the sofa downstairs.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our children mostly sleep outside under cover - we have 2 covered areas and lots of lie flat supportive buggies so we can set off for school without disturbing anyone

8. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My babies all sleep in a travel cot in my sons room. When he was a baby in a cot himself they used his cot.