Making formula milk with cold water!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Making formula milk with cold water!

Hi all,

I have a 5 month old once a week, who has one bottle while in my care. His parent makes his bottles with cold boiled water and just adds the formula. I am totally aware that this is wrong as it does not kill the bacteria in the powder, my dilemma is do i continue to do as the parent requests and use the water they provide, or should I follow the safety guidelines and make with my own boiled water left no more than 30 minutes, thus ensuring the bacteria is killed. Then cool right down with running water until cold?

What would you do, I don’t want to go against what the parent does, but I also don’t want to go against safety guidelines?

Many thanks all.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would explain that you need to follow the instructions on the tin of powder, so would ask them to send a sterilised bottle and a some powder. That way you can make the bottle up when needed.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to sterilise my boys bottles in a microwave steriliser then put the boiling water in and seal them tight. They'd cool and then, when required/needed, we'd add the correct amount of baby powder to the cool/cold water and shake. We were following the manufactures instruction and every child was safe.

Although this was a few years ago. 2 x 6ft lads and one catching up.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    I use to sterilise my boys bottles in a microwave steriliser then put the boiling water in and seal them tight. They'd cool and then, when required/needed, we'd add the correct amount of baby powder to the cool/cold water and shake. We were following the manufactures instruction and every child was safe.

Although this was a few years ago. 2 x 6ft lads and one catching up.
    With my children we used to make the bottles up at night, ready for the next day. They'd stay in the fridge until needed then we'd heat them up in a jug of boiling water. That was a long time ago though! Like your children, mine never came to any harm doing it that way, so I was surprised when I read the tin of milk for my baby mindee and it said to make them when needed with fresh boiled water and cool them down.

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got so frustrated with all the 'this is how you make up bottles' information always changing, that now I ask that babies on formula come with the ready made cartons and sealed sterilised bottles ( sterilised at home ) And I encourage them to have the formula at room temperature!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I got so frustrated with all the 'this is how you make up bottles' information always changing, that now I ask that babies on formula come with the ready made cartons and sealed sterilised bottles ( sterilised at home ) And I encourage them to have the formula at room temperature!
    I also ask for the cartons and yes also introduce them to having it at room temperature. Much more convenient.

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I boil the water let it cool for a bit then add powder. Then put in jug of cold water until cool enough for the baby.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help everybody, I think I am right to follow the manufacturer instructions. I breast fed my first children, then my last was prem so was syringe fed then had formula, but I had the fantastic Tommie tippee machine so I have never ever made a bottle with a kettle!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Food standards agency give clear guidance on exactly how to make up bottles,you can also print guide off for parents. Also remember its the person who gives the food or drink that makes you ill who is liable not the person who supplied it. So you need to show due diligence and protect yourself xx

14. Likes FloraDora liked this post