Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bright children

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bright children

I didn't know what to call this post!

I have a just 3 year old who is very bright, can tell me most of his letter sounds (as learnt at home) and recognise numbers to 20. I don't have a problem with this, I can see his parents spend a lot of time teaching him stuff. But he often tells me something that is incorrect but he is adamant that it is correct because Mummy or Daddy has told him so. For example he says twenteen instead of twenty because apparently Mummy told him (after I told him it's twenty) that it can be twenty or twenteen. I carry on saying twenty with him trying to correct me! He does it with other things too with other children - for example my son is learning his phonics sounds at school in reception. My son says them as he's learnt them, and 3 year old he has been taught at home which don't tally up. What would you do?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

do you mean the three year old is pronouncing the letter sounds differently to how your son is being taught to pronounce them?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The twenteen thing- I'd either laugh it off, as in 'well I say twenty' and move on. Maybe mum thinks it is one of those cute things they say and doesn't want to correct him. Or bring it up as a 'next step', especially if you discuss these with parents, along with other next steps as something to work towards,

The phonics thing- I'd speak to parents as part of a regular progress review and talk about what school he'll go to- then say you'll check which phonics/reading programme they use. Then share this with parents and make sure you're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

It all might just be the child thinking he knows best or wrongly repeating what he's heard, so I wouldn't make too much of it, but just make sure you are the one getting info from parent and not via a 3 year old!

4. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t make a deal of it ‘ just keep modelling the correct pronunciations. At just 3 there are so many other things for him to be exploring and learning from different environments and these are what I’d be focusing on.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. We do focus on many other things. He just loves letters and numbers so he points them out where ever we go. I also get corrected on many other things because his parents have told him so, in fact he has told me his parents know more than me. I know, it's part of working with young children!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisha View Post
    Thanks guys. We do focus on many other things. He just loves letters and numbers so he points them out where ever we go. I also get corrected on many other things because his parents have told him so, in fact he has told me his parents know more than me. I know, it's part of working with young children!
    Bless.

One of my mindees told her mum yesterday ' you don't know. Loocyloo knows everything! ' mum was laughing (thankfully) and I said that I introduced them to the wonder of Google to find out everything!

9. Likes FloraDora, Dragonfly liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Bless.

One of my mindees told her mum yesterday ' you don't know. Loocyloo knows everything! ' mum was laughing (thankfully) and I said that I introduced them to the wonder of Google to find out everything!
    Don't seem to be able to like this post, but I like!