Children moving on?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Children moving on?

When you look after children that could move on to another setting, for instance to somewhere to get their 15 or 30 hours if you don't provide it or to a pre-school their parents wanted them to attend, do you just leave it up to the parent to tell you their plans when they are ready or do you ever pre-empt it by asking what they plan to do? Ive got some children approaching that age and would like to know how much longer they will stay on with me, i have no idea what their parents plan to do, i dont feel i should ask them though. What do you all do?

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    When you look after children that could move on to another setting, for instance to somewhere to get their 15 or 30 hours if you don't provide it or to a pre-school their parents wanted them to attend, do you just leave it up to the parent to tell you their plans when they are ready or do you ever pre-empt it by asking what they plan to do? Ive got some children approaching that age and would like to know how much longer they will stay on with me, i have no idea what their parents plan to do, i dont feel i should ask them though. What do you all do?
    I normally just ask what their plans are!

Generally, every summer I ask all parents to fill out a form with their childcare needs/requests for the next academic year. It is a useful starting point to discuss preschool/nursery etc and what I am prepared to do in the wrap around game! I do tell parents that although they might say they will still need me, filling out the form doesn't commit them any further than their contract does ( just helps me plan) and as always, to talk to me about any changes.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I could be in the minority but I never ask directly. I maybe start talking about the possibility e.g. 'so when will (said child) be going to pre school?' or on those lines and wait to see how the conversation goes. I keep all possible senarios in my head until things are definite but I'm lucky that my daughter works with me so I'm not so restricted on numbers as when I worked by myself. I recently had one 8 year old say they were moving and when I relayed this to mum she said 'oh not for about 10 years'! A year later they left! Just go with what feels right and how your relationship is with the parents.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to put this occasionally on my quarterly newsletter

" Changes in Requirements - If you are anticipating needing to alter the days or times you require my services due to change of employment, Nursery placements or other circumstances, can you please let me know ASAP to ensure that I can make arrangements to meet your needs or advertise places to ensure I continue to work to a viable capacity."

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like Chris I used conversation over time to gain info about a timeline and children's education/ care plans. Because we chatted and shared info all the time, our relationship led to sharing info about the future.
    Once when I took on a child at 3 it was natural to talk about nursery and school plans on entry.
    But I am now friends with most families I have worked with in childminding, that developed through my presence in their children's life.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always known roughly when a mindee was about to leave - starting nursery or school in September/house on the market/new baby due - and so it was easier to broach the subject. I would usually do it by email so that I didn't catch anyone off guard, and also so that they had time to check exact dates in their diary. I would put something like "As soon as you know for definite date when x's final day here will be could you let me know please". I would tag it onto the end of one of the regular emails about menus or invoices etc. I think some parents appreciated me opening the subject to be honest.

Like lots of us, I used to plan a special little tea party or outing on a child's last day, so it was important for the child that I knew when they were going (you could always 'big up' that reason that if you feel at all awkward), as well as needing to advertise and budget etc.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If parents don’t mention anything, I ask.

It’s an easy conversation to have when the child is approaching 3 as you can ask if parents have any plans for when their child is eligible for funding. Having said that, I chat a lot with most parents so I tend to know what their plans are anyway. I have a little boy turning 3 next month. Parents have changed their mind endlessly on what they are going to do in January when his funding starts. He was going to have 30 hours with me, then he was going to nursery, then staying here, now splitting his time between here and nursery. I’ve told them what I’m prepared to do so they’ve got the facts they need to hopefully help them make a decision. I’ve also given them until the middle of November to make up their minds.

I find that with some parents they expect you to be able to do whatever they decide and it doesn’t even occur to them that you might not want to, or be able to, do it. That’s why I ask. There’s no point them making plans then finding out it won’t work for me. I’d rather discuss it early and work together with them to find a plan that suits all of us. Or if they’re planning to leave completely I like to know as early as possible so I can fill the space. I couldn’t do with just hanging around waiting for them to say something!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For me I find it depends on the relationship with each family and the length of time I've had their child. Too soon sometimes isn't soon enough. I've got a 22mth old child who's been with me a year, 3 full days a week. Sister does 3 days wrap around care. I brought up the subject of the 30 hours recently as I've not yet decided if I want to do it plus if the child is then sent to a preschool/nursery that will take the 30 hours funding I may not be able to hold a space for the 3 days school wrap around care that his sister currently has. So I felt the parents and I needed to start talking now so that we understand each others needs and expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, its really helpful to hear what you all do. Its some way off right now but i think i will just ask outright what their plans are. Thank you! x