Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jobs after childminding!!!

After some advice please.

I have been childminding for 2 years now. Over this time I have had my fair share of parents that treat me great when I am bending over backwards for them but as soon as I can't do something then, all hell breaks out. My own daughter has been having problems at school with bullying and when I have spoken to her she doesn't want me to do this job any more. It is putting a strain on our family life with all the paperwork, the hours I work.

At present we are in the process of looking for somewhere else to live away from the Birmingham area, due to harassment and threats to our property from neighbours. As we are in rented accommodation (been in the property for about 9 years), this landlord doesn't have a problem with me working as a childminder but we are struggling to find somewhere else that will accept me doing this as a job.

I am level 3 qualified in childcare, level 3 teaching assistant trained (been a teaching assistant in a secondary school and don't want to do that again, as I know at the moment there are lots of cuts happening to TA's) what other jobs would I be trained enough to do??? I am interested in being a childminder support worker, family support worker but do I need any more qualifications, what qualifications would I need to become a Social Worker (anything to help or work with children)

Can anyone please give me some advice and guidance please.
    Thanks

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This link shows you what qualifications are needed to train to be a social worker at Birmingham university :
    Social Work BA - Undergraduate degree programme study - L501 - Department of Social Policy and Social Work - University of Birmingham

You are right in thinking that a TA's job in schools under the current funding issue is precarious....most of my local schools are cutting back or not replacing TA's and teachers. Birmingham in particular has issues. Sorry to be doom and gloom.

Private nurseries in private schools might be the way to go. A local private school has taken on TA's in prep of the 30 hour funding...they are the best bet for not having their funding cut..they have also put up fees for next term - so they are in a position to load shortfalls to parents.

A friend of mine volunteered for homestart and now has been offered a job recently, but their funding is also not wonderful.

What about offering to run an after school club?

Sorry to hear about the bullying issues and home troubles , I really home it all improves soon.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    This link shows you what qualifications are needed to train to be a social worker at Birmingham university :
    Social Work BA - Undergraduate degree programme study - L501 - Department of Social Policy and Social Work - University of Birmingham

You are right in thinking that a TA's job in schools under the current funding issue is precarious....most of my local schools are cutting back or not replacing TA's and teachers. Birmingham in particular has issues. Sorry to be doom and gloom.

Private nurseries in private schools might be the way to go. A local private school has taken on TA's in prep of the 30 hour funding...they are the best bet for not having their funding cut..they have also put up fees for next term - so they are in a position to load shortfalls to parents.

A friend of mine volunteered for homestart and now has been offered a job recently, but their funding is also not wonderful.

What about offering to run an after school club?

Sorry to hear about the bullying issues and home troubles , I really home it all improves soon.
    A few childminders I know after giving up childminding went to work for the council in their Family Information Service. If there is this department where you live it might be an option. As far as I am aware they received training on the job and I don't think there was any particular qualification needed other than their childminding experience but this was a few years ago. With your qualifications I can't see it would be a problem with council work.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw36 View Post
    After some advice please.

I have been childminding for 2 years now. Over this time I have had my fair share of parents that treat me great when I am bending over backwards for them but as soon as I can't do something then, all hell breaks out. My own daughter has been having problems at school with bullying and when I have spoken to her she doesn't want me to do this job any more. It is putting a strain on our family life with all the paperwork, the hours I work.

At present we are in the process of looking for somewhere else to live away from the Birmingham area, due to harassment and threats to our property from neighbours. As we are in rented accommodation (been in the property for about 9 years), this landlord doesn't have a problem with me working as a childminder but we are struggling to find somewhere else that will accept me doing this as a job.

I am level 3 qualified in childcare, level 3 teaching assistant trained (been a teaching assistant in a secondary school and don't want to do that again, as I know at the moment there are lots of cuts happening to TA's) what other jobs would I be trained enough to do??? I am interested in being a childminder support worker, family support worker but do I need any more qualifications, what qualifications would I need to become a Social Worker (anything to help or work with children)

Can anyone please give me some advice and guidance please.
    Thanks
    A couple of childminders I know started up franchises for children's activities ... one did creation station - an art club type thing and another has done gym tots or similar. I've vaguely looked into children's music classes as an idea for the future.
    A nanny I know runs children's parties at weekends, sometimes dressed as a princess!