Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Company childminder

Hi there.
    I own a smallish company, and we are hoping to start providing childcare for our staff. We intend to use domestic premises, and there will not be more then 3 minders at any time. Having read through the guidance and legislation, it appears that technically we (i.e. the company) have to register as a "childminder" and not as a "childcare provider on domestic premises" (since we will have fewer then 4 staff).
    However the Ofsted form for registering as a childminder only allows for an individual to register (unlike the form for registering as a childcare provider on domestic premises, which allows you to register either as an individual or as a company/organisation).
    Does anyone have any idea what we should do?
    I have tried to contact Ofsted once, but I couldn't get the lady I spoke to to understand my query!
    Thanks!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A childminder registers as a sole provider on domestic premises - another childminder can register to work alongside them from the same premises - or a childminder registers an assistant to support them using the ey2 application form - each registers individually.

Does that answer your questions?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I actually eventually managed to get that answer from my local authority as well.

It's just confusing, because the guidance makes it sound like an application to register for ALL types of childcare provision can be made either by an individual or by a company/organisation. But like you say childminding can only be registered by the person providing care, so obviously not by a company!

We'll have to just decide who the main childminder will be, support them in fulfilling the necessary conditions to register, and get them to register (rather then the company registering), and then use the EY2 form to add anyone else who will be assisting. I can't see any other way.

Thank you very much!