Late payment
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Late payment

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,047
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Late payment

    Hi all, ive got a bit of a situation i dont know how to deal with. One of my parents has paid late and has admitted to me they are having financial difficulties (i kind of guessed this due to previous late payments) but promised payment to me a couple of times and havent made it.
    Child hasnt come on a couple of occasions - apparently sick but i wonder if this is avoidance at paying whats owed.
    I dont know what to do, i feel bad chasing them for money when i know they are struggling but at the same time am out of pocket myself, and would rather terminate the place than not be paid for it.
    What should i do dyou think? I want to deal with it sensitively because i feel for them and their situation but also dont want to be in a position where they build up a debt to me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    324
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Hi all, ive got a bit of a situation i dont know how to deal with. One of my parents has paid late and has admitted to me they are having financial difficulties (i kind of guessed this due to previous late payments) but promised payment to me a couple of times and havent made it.
    Child hasnt come on a couple of occasions - apparently sick but i wonder if this is avoidance at paying whats owed.
    I dont know what to do, i feel bad chasing them for money when i know they are struggling but at the same time am out of pocket myself, and would rather terminate the place than not be paid for it.
    What should i do dyou think? I want to deal with it sensitively because i feel for them and their situation but also dont want to be in a position where they build up a debt to me.

    I think you can probably guess what the answers will be cos we don't work for nothing! The trouble is it's soooo hard to ask for what is our due and I find it an awful situation to be in but it happens. Going by an experience I had years ago where every month although I got paid it was never the right amount always short, but with promises that they would catch up. At the time my reasoning was if I gave them up mum could not then go to work so I would still get nothing, in the end they left (emigrated) and I was £7.000 down! (it had been going on for a long time) I couldn't do anything about it as I let it get that bad and had no proof except my word. A hard lesson but I learned! I had to pull a parent up the other week as they had got behind (get paid monthly so not as easy to realise straight away) and lo and behold this month it was on time. I think if you just acknowledge that they are having difficulty and suggest that maybe they could cut their hours or take a complete break (if at all possible) because you have bills to pay as well and need to be paid on time. Do they have family that could help for a while? Maybe if you can, reassure them that you can keep their place for some time as it would be continuity of care. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,830
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What a horrible situation to be in.

    Do the family get tax credits? I know a few people who have had their claims reassessed and have had their money reduced. One of my families have had to cut a day as their tax credits have been reduced.

    Can you have a frank discussion with the parents and get the full facts from them? Do they think it's something short term or is it an ongoing problem for them? I would explain that while you are sympathetic, you know it won't do them any favours if you let a debt build up so you will have to charge. Ask if they have any plans - have they thought about reducing days, cutting hours etc. It might be that they already have some ideas on how to make it work so it would be good to let you know.

  4. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    2,137
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Can you have a frank discussion with the parents and get the full facts from them? Do they think it's something short term or is it an ongoing problem for them? I would explain that while you are sympathetic, you know it won't do them any favours if you let a debt build up so you will have to charge. Ask if they have any plans - have they thought about reducing days, cutting hours etc. It might be that they already have some ideas on how to make it work so it would be good to let you know.
    I echo what mouse said above
    Depends on whether it's a short or long term issue what the best course of action is. Trying to be helpful can really benefit parents but it can also end up shooting yourself in the foot.

    Factors I consider are- how are the parents generally (polite, courteous, don't take liberties, etc), are they normally good prompt payers, are they honest enough to keep you in the loop etc

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,149
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh gosh, good luck. Do they pay in advance?

    I've been in that situation once and it is awful - whatever the reasons for them not paying you can't stop thinking about it and feeling like you are being taken for granted. I telephoned the parent and was just very honest with them and told them that I couldn't mind their child on Monday if the money wasn't in my account by then. They were really embarrassed and paid the money. Looking back I can't believe I was that assertive, lol.

    I like the suggestions offered by previous posters about thinking of ways to help them out - but not in ways which mean you are more out of pocket.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    324
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Oh gosh, good luck. Do they pay in advance?

    I've been in that situation once and it is awful - whatever the reasons for them not paying you can't stop thinking about it and feeling like you are being taken for granted. I telephoned the parent and was just very honest with them and told them that I couldn't mind their child on Monday if the money wasn't in my account by then. They were really embarrassed and paid the money. Looking back I can't believe I was that assertive, lol.

    I like the suggestions offered by previous posters about thinking of ways to help them out - but not in ways which mean you are more out of pocket.
    I know what you mean Maza as I have learnt to be a bit tougher (not really in my nature) and I had a school boy last year just once or twice a week after school and it started off really well. Then it started slipping and they would forget to tell me that grandad was picking him up from school or sometimes mum and even the teacher noticed and was apologising to me! Then the money was arriving late. Then they went on a 3 week holiday in school time (so money wasn't the issue, or the lack of) and didn't tell me. So when they returned and she just text me to ask if I could pick him up I refused and told her when she got up to date with payment I would reconsider. A year on still no money! Can't believe some people, well actually I can now after doing this job for 30 years!

  8. Likes Maza liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,242
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Could you suggest that they set up a regular direct debit if the money is a similar amount each week or if they normally pay monthly and are struggling to find that money in full in advance could you maybe accept weekly payments and explain to them that unfortunately it will be "No cash, no childcare" from now on. I agree with the other suggestions that maybe the parent could cut back on the days or hours, you are entitled to be paid for the hours you work just the same as the parent expects that from their employer. It does depend on how charitable you can afford to be - we do this job because we are have a caring nature but sometimes that comes across as "MUG".

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Late payment Late payment Late payment

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk