She spoke too soon!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default She spoke too soon!

Yesterday morning a lo was sick all over the floor. I phoned mum who said granny would collect the child. When she eventually turned up she was muttering about the child not even looking ill and how it was a waste of time her having to collect her when she would no doubt be fine for the rest of the day.

I handed the child over, explaining to granny that the child had been very sick (as she could see by the state of the clothes I had bagged up for her) and that parents know the rules. She took the child and said "see, there's nothing wrong with you". It was at this point that the child projectile vomited right over her. She was covered! I handed her a baby wipe and said "hopefully now she's got all that up she'll be fine for you for the rest of the day!"

I very rarely send children home so if I do it means there's a very good reason for it. Maybe next time granny won't question my judgement!!

2. Likes hectors house, bunyip, Maza, SYLVIA liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Had something similar years ago when I sent a child home after he was sick, I later bumped into the mum and gran with child in trolley in Asda - they said he was absolutely fine, I saw them a couple of aisles later - child had vomited over entire contents of trolley!

4. Likes Mouse, Maza, SYLVIA liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Yesterday morning a lo was sick all over the floor. I phoned mum who said granny would collect the child. When she eventually turned up she was muttering about the child not even looking ill and how it was a waste of time her having to collect her when she would no doubt be fine for the rest of the day.

I handed the child over, explaining to granny that the child had been very sick (as she could see by the state of the clothes I had bagged up for her) and that parents know the rules. She took the child and said "see, there's nothing wrong with you". It was at this point that the child projectile vomited right over her. She was covered! I handed her a baby wipe and said "hopefully now she's got all that up she'll be fine for you for the rest of the day!"

I very rarely send children home so if I do it means there's a very good reason for it. Maybe next time granny won't question my judgement!!
    Haha this is so funny!! x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do some parents try it on like this? Maybe Granny will think twice before speaking from now on lol

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Had something similar years ago when I sent a child home after he was sick, I later bumped into the mum and gran with child in trolley in Asda - they said he was absolutely fine, I saw them a couple of aisles later - child had vomited over entire contents of trolley!
    The day after I posted this I had a child (nearly 2 years old) who started getting grizzly at a toddler gym session so we came home early - just as well as on the way home she was sick in the car. This child gets very constipated and has been sick before when she is having constipation problems, so I phoned dad and said I would give her benefit of the doubt and she seemed very tired so I would pop her up to bed and keep checking on her to make sure she wasn't sick again - if she was in bed she wouldn't be infecting anyone else if it was a tummy bug.

After a couple of hours she woke up and I tried her with some home made root veg soup but she didn't want it, against my better judgement I decided to water down slightly her bottle of milk (wouldn't normally give milk to a child who had been sick) but parents had put her sachet of laxative in her milk and she still hadn't "been", anyway 3/4 way through the bottle she threw it back up all over the both of us.

I phoned dad who wasn't happy at coming to collect as he was going to view a house later on behalf of a family member - I said that wasn't ideal as she could throw up all over the carpets, so I told him to phone to see if he could view house immediately and I would hang onto her for another half an hour, he tried but couldn't rearrange, I then told him to phone mum who is teacher in another town, he tried her but she was 60 miles away collecting costumes for drama production, so he had to come to collect - as he picked her up to leave, she threw up again over him and my hall laminate flooring. I don't think it was a bug, probably due to her constipation but it was my Wedding Anniversary that day and I had a busy weekend planned.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I once had a toddler who threw up a huge amount all over the travel cot - up the mesh sides, in all the little corners under the mattress etc. I changed him and then sat him on a waterproof mat while I tackled the travel cot/phoned parents. He crawled off the mat and was sick all over the carpet and then again all up the wall. Despite this he was all smiles when dad came to collect. As he was the only child I had that day, dad made a jokey comment about how I would have the whole day to myself and how lucky I was. He mentioned it again when I phoned to check up on the child, and again on the Monday when he brought the child back. He was a lovely dad and didn't mean anything by it, but after a while I had to tell him that actually I had spent the rest of the afternoon deep cleaning the travel cot, carpet, walls etc. Mindee's mum had given him a smoothie in the morning containing loads of sesame seeds, and I was literally picking them out of my carpet and the mesh sides of the cotbed. I would much rather have spent my afternoon playing with a healthy mindee than doing that!

Mindee was actually sick once more for parents - but luckily for them he was in his pushchair whilst out for a walk and leant forward and so the whole lot went on the pavement and not on him or the buggy. No cleaning up for them!

10. Likes hectors house liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I once had a toddler who threw up a huge amount all over the travel cot - up the mesh sides, in all the little corners under the mattress etc. I changed him and then sat him on a waterproof mat while I tackled the travel cot/phoned parents. He crawled off the mat and was sick all over the carpet and then again all up the wall. Despite this he was all smiles when dad came to collect. As he was the only child I had that day, dad made a jokey comment about how I would have the whole day to myself and how lucky I was. He mentioned it again when I phoned to check up on the child, and again on the Monday when he brought the child back. He was a lovely dad and didn't mean anything by it, but after a while I had to tell him that actually I had spent the rest of the afternoon deep cleaning the travel cot, carpet, walls etc. Mindee's mum had given him a smoothie in the morning containing loads of sesame seeds, and I was literally picking them out of my carpet and the mesh sides of the cotbed. I would much rather have spent my afternoon playing with a healthy mindee than doing that!

Mindee was actually sick once more for parents - but luckily for them he was in his pushchair whilst out for a walk and leant forward and so the whole lot went on the pavement and not on him or the buggy. No cleaning up for them!
    I feel your pain - mesh sides on travel cots are a nightmare to scrub clean.

12. Likes Maza liked this post