Sick Child query
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sick Child query

Hello everyone.. only been registered since last year and still learning..i had a mum turn up with her child this morning at the usual drop off time and informed me that the child had just been sick on her kitchen floor..she said dont worry she has a basin with her. I of course said i was sorry but was unable to take her as didnt want infection to spread through my 4 children..and this is also stated in my policies, but what im wondering is how do I charge for that...she knows not to bring her if shes ill but she did and then it was me who said i couldnt take her...so do I charge or not? Thanks in advance

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Check your contract. It should state what happens with fees when child is ill and if you or your family is ill. Usually it is the case that parents still pay when child is off ill- because you are still open and can not fill that place. If you are closed due to your own sickness then you would not charge.
    If this is not already in your contracts then I would be re-writing them ASAP as it really needs to be clear.
    The rule is to stay away for 48 hours AFTER the last occurrence of vomiting or diarrhea- make sure that is in your policy too and that it is clear to all parents.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Check your contract. It should state what happens with fees when child is ill and if you or your family is ill. Usually it is the case that parents still pay when child is off ill- because you are still open and can not fill that place. If you are closed due to your own sickness then you would not charge.
    If this is not already in your contracts then I would be re-writing them ASAP as it really needs to be clear.
    The rule is to stay away for 48 hours AFTER the last occurrence of vomiting or diarrhea- make sure that is in your policy too and that it is clear to all parents.
    I agree.

I put in contracts that parents pay when the child is sick.

TBH, I often waive the fee, and this can help discourage parents from bringing a sick child. I've heard parents say they take their sick children to nursery because they can't afford to pay for the absence whilst missing a day at work (which is very wrong, but it happens.) That said, my system is still flawed and I have had parents try to abuse my goodwill (and those are the ones I now charge every time.) I'd also be forced to charge if we had, say, a big chicken pox outbreak leaving me without enough paying customers for two weeks.

Irrespective of my own way of doing it (and I count myself lucky I can afford to do that), I absolutely stand by any CM who charges for all absences.