How to re-activate my Childminding registration and what's new?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to re-activate my Childminding registration and what's new?

Hi, I was an Ofsted registered Childminder from 2007 to 2015. I then moved house and did a bit of nannying and pre school work instead because all the agency issues came in and it seemed like a good time to stop.
    I am thinking of starting Childminding again (but not for another 18months as I am newly pregnant). I cancelled my Ofsted registration and they haven't been to our new house so am I right in thinking I need to start again? What has changed since 2 years ago? Is it still independant childminder or an agency registered one? Briefly what are the pro's and con's of each?

Anything else drastic that has changed in 2 years??!! Or should I not ask lol

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you resigned your registration in 2015, then unfortunately you will have to go through the whole process again.

The biggest differences that I'm aware of is that the whole process now is funded by the applicant rather than part funded by the LA so:
    CM course (£240 approx with pacey, other providers are available lol)
    Health declaration (£?? depends on doctor)
    DBS check (£44 + annual update service charge)
    First Aid (£60 approx)
    Safeguarding (free from your LA although some may charge)

Agencies thankfully don't seem to have taken off, although they are still around, and as an independent CM, I would always recommend staying independent of them anyway so wouldn't be objective in the pros and cons.
    For me, being ofsted registered rather than agency registered is the way forward for any childminder.

The EYFS has been updated, so probably best to download that and have a look through.
    It's mostly been wording changes from memory.

Funding is now easier to do via the LA, no need to have level 3 or jump through 'joining a network' hoops, although your LA rate may be less than your hourly rate.

If you join the facebook group (independent childminders) there's a check list in the pinned post of all the up to date documents, as well as in here.

You may want to look at this post Sarah has recently updated:
    Registering as a childminder - UPDATED 05.2017

Good luck

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well spotted Kiddlywinks - yes that's my latest guidance!

you won't need to do the pre-reg course again - just dbs - dbs update service - eyc and sort dbs etc for family members and ey2 ... medical check - first aid - safeguarding ... JUST lol!!

good luck with it all

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

The person who used to be our authority support worker for childminders has lost her job and has decided to go back to childminding, she used to be a childminder many years ago, and has to start from scratch, it will be interesting to see how she gets on and how she copes with her inspections.
    Teacake2

Pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I just ask please for a childminder to be have to be signed up for dbs update service. Is it have to be done for the other persons too eg husband have to sign up too or the enhanched dbs is enough? thnx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Everyone that lives in the house where childminding takes place must have a DBS check and sign up to the update service.

A criminal records check is only good on the day it was issued traditionally, someone could commit an offence 2 days later and Ofsted would possibly never have known. By subscribing to the update service, ANY legal changes to that person are now logged so any 'wrongdoing' will be highlighted and will/should stop adults (over 16) from being able to slip through the net when it comes to safeguarding our children