Multicultural Instruments
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Multicultural Instruments

Hi all, What Multicultural Instruments do you all have and where did you get them? x

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Hi all, What Multicultural Instruments do you all have and where did you get them? x
    Umm I have aboriginal rain maker and music sticks, collection of assorted african seed pods and gourds and some mini cymbals from somewhere! Bought from or given as gifts from assorted holidays, or when I see them in shops etc.

I think if you look on Amazon or Ebay you will find them.

3. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most of mine have been brought back from friends and family holidays. Small percussion particularly.
    My boys are quite musical and have lots of instruments stored in our music room as their flats are too small, so I have some nice string and drum instruments too. These are not freely available, but we use them in our music sessions.

I have Djemba drum and a Damura hand drum, also several monkey drums. Lima bola, Cas cas, bendy seed shaker, clack clack, Karimba, South American pan pipes, Celtic Bodhran, Aboriganal clapsticks and a didgeridoo.

Good website:

Musical Instruments - Kids Like Me

I keep all my instruments in together, if they are sorted in anyway it is by, type, string, drum, percussion. The percussion instruments are kept in a big basket, all in with triangles, maracus, various shakers etc.. not distinguished by its ethnic origin as I think this separation is saying multicultural instruments are different in some way and the idea is to expose the children to instruments generally.

5. Likes mama2three liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few , no idea of their 'names' but they have been added into my musical instruments as i have seen them on holiday or at car boots / charity shops. I wouldnt buy them from any of the main sites as they add a massive premium because they know it ticks an ofsted box.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They are expensive, so something to build up gradually if you really want to, again charity shops can be useful.

In the meantime, you can add photographs to your music area. I have got some lovely pictures from various sources (got some wonderful ones from Oxfam years ago). We talk about the instruments in the pictures: Do they look like any of our instruments - how are they the same/different? How is the lady playing that instrument? What are our instruments which we play by plucking/blowing/shaking etc. What sort of sound do you think it will make? If you could chose to try one of the instruments in the picture which one would it be?... You can have a bit of a search online and download some music or show them clips on youtube of the instrument being played and then they can dance to the music. Not quite the same as having access to the instruments, but a cheaper alternative.

Our local sure start centre had a great selection of multi cultural instruments and so the children could access them there. I did think about contacting the toy library to see if they had any that I could borrow, but I never got round to it.

Keep your eye out for local events - we've been to a few multi cultural music workshops over the years and also a few crafting sessions where the focus has been on making multi cultural musical instruments. It's pretty much pot luck as to what's on offer at the time, but do check out local libraries, sure start centres, community centres, national trust places and other places of interest - especially during Black History Month, Diwali, Chinese New Year etc.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great recommendations Maza, I have spent a life time collecting my instruments.
    Also playing music from different countries and cultures and playing the instruments you have to this music exposes the children to different sounds.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I have a few , no idea of their 'names' but they have been added into my musical instruments as i have seen them on holiday or at car boots / charity shops. I wouldnt buy them from any of the main sites as they add a massive premium because they know it ticks an ofsted box.
    Yes ive seen them sold on certain websites for astronomical amounts before - maybe they are aimed at nursery settings but i certainly have baulked at the price of some of them!

Floras suggested site seems far more reasonable however

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    They are expensive, so something to build up gradually if you really want to, again charity shops can be useful.

In the meantime, you can add photographs to your music area. I have got some lovely pictures from various sources (got some wonderful ones from Oxfam years ago). We talk about the instruments in the pictures: Do they look like any of our instruments - how are they the same/different? How is the lady playing that instrument? What are our instruments which we play by plucking/blowing/shaking etc. What sort of sound do you think it will make? If you could chose to try one of the instruments in the picture which one would it be?... You can have a bit of a search online and download some music or show them clips on youtube of the instrument being played and then they can dance to the music. Not quite the same as having access to the instruments, but a cheaper alternative.

Our local sure start centre had a great selection of multi cultural instruments and so the children could access them there. I did think about contacting the toy library to see if they had any that I could borrow, but I never got round to it.

Keep your eye out for local events - we've been to a few multi cultural music workshops over the years and also a few crafting sessions where the focus has been on making multi cultural musical instruments. It's pretty much pot luck as to what's on offer at the time, but do check out local libraries, sure start centres, community centres, national trust places and other places of interest - especially during Black History Month, Diwali, Chinese New Year etc.

thanks maza, i love the idea of adding photographs x Ooh whens black history month?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Most of mine have been brought back from friends and family holidays. Small percussion particularly.
    My boys are quite musical and have lots of instruments stored in our music room as their flats are too small, so I have some nice string and drum instruments too. These are not freely available, but we use them in our music sessions.

I have Djemba drum and a Damura hand drum, also several monkey drums. Lima bola, Cas cas, bendy seed shaker, clack clack, Karimba, South American pan pipes, Celtic Bodhran, Aboriganal clapsticks and a didgeridoo.

Good website:

Musical Instruments - Kids Like Me

I keep all my instruments in together, if they are sorted in anyway it is by, type, string, drum, percussion. The percussion instruments are kept in a big basket, all in with triangles, maracus, various shakers etc.. not distinguished by its ethnic origin as I think this separation is saying multicultural instruments are different in some way and the idea is to expose the children to instruments generally.
    Thanks for the link Flora thats great, very reasonable prices. I love the idea of not separating them out too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Umm I have aboriginal rain maker and music sticks, collection of assorted african seed pods and gourds and some mini cymbals from somewhere! Bought from or given as gifts from assorted holidays, or when I see them in shops etc.

I think if you look on Amazon or Ebay you will find them.
    Thanks loocyloo, yes i was looking on ebay but wasn't confident in the quality of some of the ones i came across.

Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree with you all that its nice when they have arrived in your setting as genuine gifts from yours of others travels rather than bought in especially.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Black History month is usually in October.

I know what you mean about how nice it is when they arrive as genuine gifts from your own and others travels. I wish I had been more aware in my twenties and early thirties when I did most of my exciting long haul travel. You just don't get the same opportunities for shopping when you are on family camp sites in the UK!

17. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of multicultural instruments, but I can't remember where half of them came from. Like others have said, they've been collected over the years, as and when I see them.
    Luckily my family are well trained in bringing back resources when they're abroad so I do have authentic instruments, clothing etc from around the world. You do have to be extra careful with them though as they're not usually safety tested. Most of the instruments here are in a basket for free access but there are several that I keep aside and we only use for supervised music sessions as there are bits that could come off and be a choking hazard.

If you have The Works shops near you they often sell multicultural instruments at very reasonable prices, so it's worth keeping a look out.

19. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I have a lot of multicultural instruments, but I can't remember where half of them came from. Like others have said, they've been collected over the years, as and when I see them.
    Luckily my family are well trained in bringing back resources when they're abroad so I do have authentic instruments, clothing etc from around the world. You do have to be extra careful with them though as they're not usually safety tested. Most of the instruments here are in a basket for free access but there are several that I keep aside and we only use for supervised music sessions as there are bits that could come off and be a choking hazard.

If you have The Works shops near you they often sell multicultural instruments at very reasonable prices, so it's worth keeping a look out.
    Thanks mouse - i would never have thought to look there x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought of this thread when I read this post on The Artful Parent (a favourite blog of mine)

Music Books for Young Children :: 10 Fantastic Books about Sound and Music