Mindees with fleas
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mindees with fleas

Hi all, I've not been on here in ages but in need of some advice. We don't have any pets, or come into contact with animals at all... but my mindee siblings have adopted a stray cat and the cat has subsequently bought fleas into their home. The girl is covered in bites and tells me mum has sprayed all their bedding etc, but I have found five fleas so far in my home and am not sure of the best way to deal with it. Is it over kill to flea treat my playroom? Hubby thinks I should be excluding the siblings but I am pretty sure I can't/shouldn't do that. They are on a three week Easter break next week anyway but what do I do in the meantime?
    Blessed Be!

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    Hi all, I've not been on here in ages but in need of some advice. We don't have any pets, or come into contact with animals at all... but my mindee siblings have adopted a stray cat and the cat has subsequently bought fleas into their home. The girl is covered in bites and tells me mum has sprayed all their bedding etc, but I have found five fleas so far in my home and am not sure of the best way to deal with it. Is it over kill to flea treat my playroom? Hubby thinks I should be excluding the siblings but I am pretty sure I can't/shouldn't do that. They are on a three week Easter break next week anyway but what do I do in the meantime?
    I would de-flea wherever the siblings have been, the whole house if necessary. Vets usually sell good products for this - not cheap but worth the money as rubbish ones don't work. I think I would exclude the children until it was completely cured! (not really sure if we can but I would)

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris goodyear View Post

I would de-flea wherever the siblings have been, the whole house if necessary. Vets usually sell good products for this - not cheap but worth the money as rubbish ones don't work. I think I would exclude the children until it was completely cured! (not really sure if we can but I would)
    I used a variety of flea sprays when my cats got them, then I had INDOREX spray recommended. I bought some online .. cheaper than vets or pet shops. Used as per instructions and it was excellent.

I would also tell parents. Years ago I had some children who brought some fleas with them (they were farmers) and mum was mortified but glad I had said.

Good luck x

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I will get a good flea treatment tomorrow so I can do it over the weekend and shut off the playroom to my kids while it settles. I hate chemicals in my house but don't want to allow an infestation to develop. Spoke to mum tonight who said she thinks the cat has found a new home as they haven't seen it in a week, but said she would carry on treating it, so hopefully by the time they are back after Easter it'll be cured.
    Blessed Be!

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my child have been scratching dreadfully for a few weeks now and i started to wonder if its that all my families own a pet and wondered whether we had somehow got fleas or allergies off them. I have no idea how i would find out or have that conversation!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I would de flea. as you have spoken to mum and she is doing her best I think it is unfair to exclude the children.