child swallowed 2pence coin! (not while in my care!)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    86
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default child swallowed 2pence coin! (not while in my care!)

    Hi All,

    my mindee turned up this morning and parent informed me that mindee swallowed a 2pence coin on Thursday night Child didn't choke heaven knows how! but was xrayed and this proved the coin was in the stomach waiting to be passed naturally. (parent informed me this has not happened as yet)

    my question is, should I be making a note about this somewhere, its not an injury as such, I just wasn't sure if I should do anything, can anybody offer advice?

    Why do people allow small children to play with coins unattended!!!!!!! the outcome of this could have been tragic!

    many thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,797
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would use my 'existing injury' form just to record it as something that happened at home, as it could still have some effect on the child. I hope it passes soon!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    86
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I would use my 'existing injury' form just to record it as something that happened at home, as it could still have some effect on the child. I hope it passes soon!!
    Thanks, yes that's what I was thinking, I just didn't want to appear "over the top" but I would rather be on the safe side. The thing is if it doesn't pass and it gets stuck somewhere, i just feel i should cover myself.

    Thanks for the advice.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    986
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's exactly how I made a record when a parent informed me their child had swallowed a marble! Hospital told them he would pass it in due course

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Teetering....
    Posts
    4,079
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    And me when a mindee swallowed a drawing pin at home, they took him to the hospital and they were not at all worried said it would pass in time, parent's were concerned.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I hear over and over when people talk about nurseries and children etc that "accidents happen" as if to excuse accidents but really, if you are watching and looking after children properly do they really happen that often. It amazes me some of the stuff i read that has happened and i cant help think that the parent/person in charge etc hasn't monitored the child effectively and risk assessed possible dangers.
    Sorry..rant over! ;-0

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,857
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One of my mindees once swallowed a snail - at home not with me . "My sammy is nice and safe in my tummy, I put him in my mouth and swallowed him like this"

  8. Likes Maza liked this post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
child swallowed 2pence coin! (not while in my care!) child swallowed 2pence coin! (not while in my care!) child swallowed 2pence coin! (not while in my care!)

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk