child swallowed 2pence coin! (not while in my care!)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default child swallowed 2pence coin! (not while in my care!)

Hi All,

my mindee turned up this morning and parent informed me that mindee swallowed a 2pence coin on Thursday night Child didn't choke heaven knows how! but was xrayed and this proved the coin was in the stomach waiting to be passed naturally. (parent informed me this has not happened as yet)

my question is, should I be making a note about this somewhere, its not an injury as such, I just wasn't sure if I should do anything, can anybody offer advice?

Why do people allow small children to play with coins unattended!!!!!!! the outcome of this could have been tragic!

many thanks for any advice.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would use my 'existing injury' form just to record it as something that happened at home, as it could still have some effect on the child. I hope it passes soon!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I would use my 'existing injury' form just to record it as something that happened at home, as it could still have some effect on the child. I hope it passes soon!!
    Thanks, yes that's what I was thinking, I just didn't want to appear "over the top" but I would rather be on the safe side. The thing is if it doesn't pass and it gets stuck somewhere, i just feel i should cover myself.

Thanks for the advice.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly how I made a record when a parent informed me their child had swallowed a marble! Hospital told them he would pass it in due course

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And me when a mindee swallowed a drawing pin at home, they took him to the hospital and they were not at all worried said it would pass in time, parent's were concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear over and over when people talk about nurseries and children etc that "accidents happen" as if to excuse accidents but really, if you are watching and looking after children properly do they really happen that often. It amazes me some of the stuff i read that has happened and i cant help think that the parent/person in charge etc hasn't monitored the child effectively and risk assessed possible dangers.
    Sorry..rant over! ;-0

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my mindees once swallowed a snail - at home not with me . "My sammy is nice and safe in my tummy, I put him in my mouth and swallowed him like this"

8. Likes Maza liked this post