Use covers on buggy to combat air pollution.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Use covers on buggy to combat air pollution.

Just read this article regarding air pollution and school runs :
    Use buggy covers to combat air pollution danger, parents warned | Environment | The Guardian

Thought you might find it interesting.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read. A lot of children hate pram covers though and I don't blame them, it must feel like a greenhouse in there. I'm having a little giggle now as I think of several past mindees and my DD going berserk and trying to kick and pull the rain cover off the pushchair. It wasn't funny at the time and I would only use it in extreme weather. I would be running home desperately trying to end everyone's misery!

As an aside, I wonder why they chose that photo for the article - it's hardly Putney High Street!

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Just read this article regarding air pollution and school runs :
    Use buggy covers to combat air pollution danger, parents warned | Environment | The Guardian

Thought you might find it interesting.

First they advise not to put a thin cover over the buggy in hot weather as the temperature can soar inside, now we have to put a rain cover on every morning and afternoon school run. How uncomfortable will that be in the summer! I know it's all for the health issues for children but don't you think society has created more problems as we get ever more mobile and work driven? Bring back the big old Silver Cross prams where we didn't have any of these problems. Babies were higher up so fumes (if there were any) didn't reach them, they were more protected from the weather and it was a joy to push the pram! I know we can't go back but oh how I wish we could!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris goodyear View Post
    First they advise not to put a thin cover over the buggy in hot weather as the temperature can soar inside, now we have to put a rain cover on every morning and afternoon school run. How uncomfortable will that be in the summer! I know it's all for the health issues for children but don't you think society has created more problems as we get ever more mobile and work driven? Bring back the big old Silver Cross prams where we didn't have any of these problems. Babies were higher up so fumes (if there were any) didn't reach them, they were more protected from the weather and it was a joy to push the pram! I know we can't go back but oh how I wish we could!
    I had a silver cross carriage circa 1980's in storage until I saw Kate and William push Charlotte to her christening in one and thought Why not? So out it came. I bought it second hand when my boys were young. I ' did it up' alongside a more portable silver cross grey one too, both cheap and with TLC worked well.

So I have used it for my last baby. Perfect for nap times when he was a baby ( he came to me at 3 months ) and I have loved pushing it when in the local nature reserve - it's wheels are really sturdy. It certainly is a joy to push. I am told that they are now quite trendy again.

I think they went out of fashion as less parents stayed at home and pushed their children to places, collapsable , ease of putting in the car, on public transport, round shops became the key needed element and these bulky magnificent forms of transport for babies don't tick these boxes.
    But since I walk everywhere it was perfect. it has a great back rest that folded down for sleep and up for sitting up and because it is so wide he can still fit in it now at 18 months. I have put it back in storage recently though as it took up a lot of room, which I was happy to do when the other cots were being occupied but now I have less children a cot is available and he loves to walk to the reserve so buggy is easier to pop in and out.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I also love the big silver cross coach prams! As a little girl I used to dream of pushing my own baby in one one day. I had older sister-in-laws and whenever they were pregnant they would talk about whether they were getting a navy one, or a maroon one etc. They had the elasticated fly nets, crocheted blanket and toys on an elasticated piece of string too! Then you could add a toddler seat when baby number 2 came along!

I couldn't quite bring myself to buy one for DD - being in a first floor flat it wasn't really practical, lol. I did buy a slightly scaled down silver cross pram though. I did get some sniggers from peers because it was twice the size of all of their modern ones, but I also got so many positive comments from 'older' ladies, about how lovely it was to see 'proper prams' again! I honestly never anticipated the amount of attention a pram could create! I used to love pushing her through the park and seeing her focusing on the tree branches overhead. One of my fondest, simple memories.

Floradora did you also wear ten inch heels like Kate when you pushed your little one around in the pram?

I guess the thing about the school runs is that they are relatively short usually, and so exposure to the pollution is short.

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

Floradora did you also wear ten inch heels like Kate when you pushed your little one around in the pram?
    Not quite! Usually my walking boots or wellies! I didn't look quite so sophisticated, probably more like a bag lady with all our gear for forest school activities.

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My raincover is hardly airtight, so not pollution proof. Sick of lo's poking holes in it to the point where mummies might just get a bill for the next replacement.

11. Likes FloraDora, SYLVIA liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Covers for the buggies, but what about the ones that have to walk?? Don't tell me, we all have to wear masks now!!!
    Soon we will be told not to leave the house.

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of interest, how do people feel about buying fruit and veg from the road side stalls? I mean ones which are truly on a main road?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Out of interest, how do people feel about buying fruit and veg from the road side stalls? I mean ones which are truly on a main road?
    I'm sure if you wash them they'll be fine. Veg boiled will surely get rid of the nasty pollution too....or does it penetrate through?
    Living in a small town though I can honestly say I do not know of a stall so close to a busy road. Positives of not living in a city.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I'm sure if you wash them they'll be fine. Veg boiled will surely get rid of the nasty pollution too....or does it penetrate through?
    Living in a small town though I can honestly say I do not know of a stall so close to a busy road. Positives of not living in a city.
    I don't know if it penetrates and remains after washing and cooking. I err on the side of caution and stay away from road side stalls. Shame though, and I do think they brighten up a busy street.