Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After schoolies!

Hi ladies and gents

Been a while since I was in here. But here goes!

We have been providing before and after school care for a long time now, but it is now becoming a problem in my eyes! For some reason or another it feels as if we are having nothing but problems with behaviour, bad attidues from parents and a huge amount of un-registered care going on between mums and dads.

Then add in how they are crying out for registered childcare which makes us feel rubbish as if we have done this all wrong.

The local pre-school have announced after school provision on their website and the school news letter. They will advertise OTT like they did when they moved and re-opened, annoying most of the other established settings in the area.

So, do we ride this until they all leave or just get shot now? I am worried personally that it will not be viable for us to run with me as assistant... which means I will need to find other work.

On the other hand we feel it would be so much better to just focus on the EY's from now on, if we can keep them coming that is!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayse74 View Post
    Hi ladies and gents

Been a while since I was in here. But here goes!

We have been providing before and after school care for a long time now, but it is now becoming a problem in my eyes! For some reason or another it feels as if we are having nothing but problems with behaviour, bad attidues from parents and a huge amount of un-registered care going on between mums and dads.

Then add in how they are crying out for registered childcare which makes us feel rubbish as if we have done this all wrong.

The local pre-school have announced after school provision on their website and the school news letter. They will advertise OTT like they did when they moved and re-opened, annoying most of the other established settings in the area.

So, do we ride this until they all leave or just get shot now? I am worried personally that it will not be viable for us to run with me as assistant... which means I will need to find other work.

On the other hand we feel it would be so much better to just focus on the EY's from now on, if we can keep them coming that is!
    Only you will know whether to wait. About once a month I think 'right, wrap around care only/right, ey only' as there is always something kicking off. It's exhausting. My local preschool is expanding to take more children and work almost an 11 hour day. I just can't compete. Plus if you decide to let them all go will you 'take' the 30 hour funding for the ey's? Some parents want a smaller homely setting for their school children others want a friend to do a favour. It's hard. Best of luck.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what to do, our gut says we offer this because that is what we do and it does keep us going!

We have enough EY's at present and a couple have expressed interest in 30hours, also tax-free childcare so we must be doing that right at least! our outcomes for EY's is good at present.

If we can continue and have parent's who choose us or my partner for her and what she offers then good! I am getting fed up with being used as an holding station for children who are just here because nobody else will do it. Maybe this new club is a good thing! maybe take the burden and placate these parents. My partner has had sarcastic comments regarding being an after-school club from the nursery staff in the past so, could just be jealousy?

Also one other thing that bothers us, we can only have numbers within our ratio and do not like impacting on the ey's. But certain parents seeking wraparound refuse to understand this and get negative about it. No amount of signposting, educating and giving out of info seems to help. It falls on deaf ears.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Older children are hard work - but there are rewards if they are kind to the little ones and everyone plays together and the money can be useful as an extra.

I think you need to weigh up pros and cons in 2 columns and work out the finances then you can make a proper decision

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Older children are hard work - but there are rewards if they are kind to the little ones and everyone plays together and the money can be useful as an extra.

I think you need to weigh up pros and cons in 2 columns and work out the finances then you can make a proper decision
    We will do this, meant to have done this over the weekend but we have just finished enhanced first aid then mothers day etc.

There is something else we have an issue with and that is regarding our poster, it is up on the school board by the entrance but somebody is making great efforts to keep covering it up! it stays up but is covered and its not by accident. No other information is covered. My partner is not happy at all about this and some communication was giving this morning with the Head about this. But I know this probably will change nothing.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Poster sorted! they moved stuff.

But... the exodus begins, first parent just tried giving us 4weeks notice partly over the holiday period but they are term time only. That is not happening, 4weeks notice during term time but they will all try this on. We knew this would happen!