Parents cutting back hours
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parents cutting back hours

This is a moan really. I had an EYFS child cut back hours to one day a week in January and I wasn't too happy about that but now they want to cut back to half a day a week from April. I'm not sure what to do. In some ways I want to say no because they keep changing things as they know I have been accommodating so far On the other hand I'm thinking I might say ok but if someone else (existing family or new enquiry) want the full day I will have to give them notice. Any advice?

I would be good if I could have a month or two where no one leaves or cuts back hours!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisha View Post
    This is a moan really. I had an EYFS child cut back hours to one day a week in January and I wasn't too happy about that but now they want to cut back to half a day a week from April. I'm not sure what to do. In some ways I want to say no because they keep changing things as they know I have been accommodating so far On the other hand I'm thinking I might say ok but if someone else (existing family or new enquiry) want the full day I will have to give them notice. Any advice?

I would be good if I could have a month or two where no one leaves or cuts back hours!
    Only you can decide. It's hard to know but some work is better than no work. Are you currently advertising? Maybe you could call their bluff and say no because I need the income and I have someone lined up if they don't stay all day. This happens to us all at some stage. Parents have 'belts' to tighten also.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in this exact situation full timer wanting only half a day I said I will offer half day on ad hoc basis. I can then take on other work if it comes along.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you charge by the hour? Do you have a minimum charge/ hours? A friend charges for 8 hours a day ... regardless of if the child does 3, 5 or 8 hrs!
    Just because a parent has said they'd like to go to half a day, doesn't mean that you have to accept it, or that half a day means half a days fees?
    Maybe you could say 'yes; I can do half a day, the fees for that are X' ( which are more than half a day, but maybe a little less than full day )

I charge by the hour and do offer half days (if it fits and I want to!)
    But I'm thinking about changing to a minimum fee per day that would equal 6.5 hours per day (school hours) and then charging per hour on top of that.

I'd love to have a month where nothing changes!

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

Do you charge by the hour? Do you have a minimum charge/ hours? A friend charges for 8 hours a day ... regardless of if the child does 3, 5 or 8 hrs!
    Just because a parent has said they'd like to go to half a day, doesn't mean that you have to accept it, or that half a day means half a days fees?
    Maybe you could say 'yes; I can do half a day, the fees for that are X' ( which are more than half a day, but maybe a little less than full day )

I charge by the hour and do offer half days (if it fits and I want to!)
    But I'm thinking about changing to a minimum fee per day that would equal 6.5 hours per day (school hours) and then charging per hour on top of that.

I'd love to have a month where nothing changes!
    Yes I charge an hourly rate. I hadn't thought of charging a minimum fee per day but sounds like a good idea. I'm not against the idea of half days but just a bit fed up at the expectation it's OK to cut hours.

They won't be saving money by doing this as it means an increase in nursery hours and they have to pay lots in addition to their funded hours (only allowed 6 hours funded hours for a set 11 hour day).

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So are they cutting down on your hours to increase their hours at nursery? Do you think they will eventually give up the half day if space comes up at nursery?

As BallyH said, sometimes a bit of work is better than no work. I know what you mean though about them just assuming that it is ok to reduce the hours and yet it seems that childminders agonise over any changes in contracts that they may wish to make.

I found that one advantage of agreeing to do random hours is that they are less likely to leave because they couldn't get those hours anywhere else especially not in a nursery, and so they are more likely to become long term clients. It depends how full you want to be.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it personally, It may block another enquiry and you have to consider whether it's worth your bother. Some CM's do a minimum amount of hours and I think I would turn down any work under a certain amount of hours. I had one enquiry that was for a couple of hours 2 mornings a week or something but it just isnt worth my time and totally blocks any other EYFS space for that day - Im not a babysitter and i felt that's what they needed as mum just wanted a bit of a break.

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I wouldn't do it personally, It may block another enquiry and you have to consider whether it's worth your bother. Some CM's do a minimum amount of hours and I think I would turn down any work under a certain amount of hours. I had one enquiry that was for a couple of hours 2 mornings a week or something but it just isnt worth my time and totally blocks any other EYFS space for that day - Im not a babysitter and i felt that's what they needed as mum just wanted a bit of a break.
    Totally how I feel Mumofone. I feel bad about saying no although I doubt the parents are that bothered about doing this to me again.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a much higher hourly fee for under 3 hours childminding, works for me.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I only offer full days now. It has been a great move.
    1. It helps me plan better for the day
    2. It eliminates children coming and going at different times. Which I found annoying and upset other children.
    3. I am able to relax and not clock watch - it makes a big difference to the equilibrium in our setting.
    4. It gives everybody "time" to do what we want to do.
    5. it eliminates waiting for parents picking up at lunch time - cos you can't start lunch till half day child has gone or you have to finish lunch quick for half day child to start.

But it is entirely up to you - this is my experience.

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only do full days (minimum of 7 hours) and I tell the parents that if they want child to go to Nursery as well as to me then that's full days at Nursery as I don't do Nursery or school runs. I also don't only do one day a week anymore, it's too much paperwork as you try to do a weeks worth of observations in just one day (or in your case - in half a day). If all children only came one day a week you would have 15 EYFS children on your books, or 30 if they all did half a day!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I only do full days (minimum of 7 hours) and I tell the parents that if they want child to go to Nursery as well as to me then that's full days at Nursery as I don't do Nursery or school runs. I also don't only do one day a week anymore, it's too much paperwork as you try to do a weeks worth of observations in just one day (or in your case - in half a day). If all children only came one day a week you would have 15 EYFS children on your books, or 30 if they all did half a day!
    I have alot of one day a week children. I maybe only do 1 or 2 obs a month for these children. But often the one day a week turns into more. I currently have 2 one day a weekers waiting for extra days ...

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I have alot of one day a week children. I maybe only do 1 or 2 obs a month for these children. But often the one day a week turns into more. I currently have 2 one day a weekers waiting for extra days ...
    I don't mind one day a week really as I've only been working 3 days a week until recently by choice. I only have 2 under 5 places a day as I have my own 4 yo so a half day bothers me more.

I still don't know what I'm going to do!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Because I'm still very undecided about taking the 30 hours funding I think I'm eventually going to end up with a lot of 1 day contracts for 3&4 year olds.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I charge an hourly rate. I hadn't thought of charging a minimum fee per day but sounds like a good idea. I'm not against the idea of half days but just a bit fed up at the expectation it's OK to cut hours.

They won't be saving money by doing this as it means an increase in nursery hours and they have to pay lots in addition to their funded hours (only allowed 6 hours funded hours for a set 11 hour day).
    So is it the Nursery who only allow 6 funded hours per an 11 hour slot? I wonder how much they charge for the other 5 hours?

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post

So is it the Nursery who only allow 6 funded hours per an 11 hour slot? I wonder how much they charge for the other 5 hours?
    Yes it's the nursery. I think about £6.50/hr which it much more than our funded rate!