Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Balancing own child's clubs with childminding

As you know, I've taken a break from childminding and have gone back into teaching part time, topping it up with supply teaching when it comes up. However, I am looking to get back into childminding because a) I miss it, and b) the supply teaching isn't as regular as I need it to be and so I need to top up the money from my permanent (but part time) teaching job.

Anyway, now that I am looking to go back into it for one or two days a week, I am realising how much my family life has evolved since I was last childminding. DD now does netball on Thursdays, 4-5pm and I stay to watch - there's no point me going all the way home for this one hour. I don't want her to give this up. Several younger siblings also stay to watch other players, so it would be no problem, BUT it's different doing it with mindees isn't it? There isn't anyone else who can take her/drop her home as everyone lives in the opposite direction.

How do you all manage your own child's after school clubs when childminding?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I either rely heavily on other parents ( football run another parent takes and i collect after mindees have gone home), or he doesnt go.
    Its no different to any other job from that perspective. Some things can be done and some cant. In the summer when cricket or a football match is on the school field we all stay and watch. I take balls or whatever to keep mindees entertained and a snack.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning to work childminding 2/3 days why not 'try' to use mon-wed as the days you childmind and then devote Thursday/Friday to your DD?

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm lucky in that I live literally round the corner from school so their clubs aren't really an issue either for dd (who's in yr 6 and walks home by herself) or for mindees (who we all go and collect).
    DD does have gymnastics on a Monday where I have to put everyone in the car and drop her over,(her dad picks her up so no need to stay) takes about 40 mins for the whole trip. One parent meets me in the car park, another does the same if he finishes in time, if not mindee comes with me and he'll just wait for me to get back if he's back before us.
    When her session switched to the Monday I only had one mindee at the time and they were ok with this, as more came along I just explained that if they wanted a Monday then that's what I would be doing, and so far they have all been fine with this. I think because I am happy to collect mindees from clubs and I reiterate that I am a 'family' setting nobody so far seems to have an issue with it.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    If you are planning to work childminding 2/3 days why not 'try' to use mon-wed as the days you childmind and then devote Thursday/Friday to your DD?
    I teach on Mondays and Tuesdays and so am not available for childminding. I've just had a parent interested in Wed and Thur and am considering it. I guess I just need to be open with the parent and tell them that this is what we do and if it gets in the way of future business then I need to have a think about using other parents or not doing clubs.

It goes without saying that if I take mindees along they will be my priority and I will take snacks and activities.

8. Likes BallyH liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

I teach on Mondays and Tuesdays and so am not available for childminding. I've just had a parent interested in Wed and Thur and am considering it. I guess I just need to be open with the parent and tell them that this is what we do and if it gets in the way of future business then I need to have a think about using other parents or not doing clubs.

It goes without saying that if I take mindees along they will be my priority and I will take snacks and activities.
    I used to take 3 mindees to my childrens swimming lessons! We used to sit in reception and eat a picnic tea and 2 were collected there (granny worked down the road) and the 3rd I dropped off on my way past!

My children are older, but I do find myself playing taxi and if I need to load the car up for a drop off/ collection then I do. I always explain to new parents if their child is likely to be involved in a club run! I do try and sort lift shares, and as my children get older, everything happens later but if I can manage to get my children where they need to be, then they go and if in occasion I can't, then they don't go!

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As you know, I've taken a break from childminding and have gone back into teaching part time, topping it up with supply teaching when it comes up. However, I am looking to get back into childminding because a) I miss it, and b) the supply teaching isn't as regular as I need it to be and so I need to top up the money from my permanent (but part time) teaching job.

Anyway, now that I am looking to go back into it for one or two days a week, I am realising how much my family life has evolved since I was last childminding. DD now does netball on Thursdays, 4-5pm and I stay to watch - there's no point me going all the way home for this one hour. I don't want her to give this up. Several younger siblings also stay to watch other players, so it would be no problem, BUT it's different doing it with mindees isn't it? There isn't anyone else who can take her/drop her home as everyone lives in the opposite direction.

Honestly I don't manage. The children know they can do school clubs on certain nights. Tonight is a prime example they wanted to do a certain club but have to go into another sports club so I can guarantee someone picking them up at 5.
    As there is no way my Los can do the school run 4 times in an hour. If I drove it would only be 5 minutes in the car.
    Their football starts at 6 so I have to finish at 530 on those nights. Luckily I only do 6pm for one parent who is very understanding.
    Be upfront with your parents I'm sure if they want you they will be willingly to work around you
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I am quite lucky in that my Grandad is more than happy to take over after school club runs etc if I can't do them for my son. He spent a good 6 years ferrying my son to tennis, diving, and trampolining classes!

On the odd occasion when he wasn't available I'd speak to parents beforehand and ask if they wouldn't mind either meeting me there for pick ups or me dropping mindees home a wee bit later after the clubs if possible. All parents were completely fine with it and usually just met me at the club as it was normally on their way home from work, not sure how they'd have been if it had been every week though.

Now my son is that bit older most of his clubs are later at night so it doesn't affect childminding anymore and my Grandad gets his time back

A Friday is different though as I don't take any kids on due to my son's swimming commitments, he does both swimming lessons and his swimming club on Fridays meaning we're there for nearly 4 hours every week. Much easier not to work that day than trying to fit mindees around it all.

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any problem with it as you're starting afresh. You can be clear from the beginning what you offer and parents can chose whether or not it suits them.

When you see any new parents you tell them that on a Thursday your daughter goes to netball club and you stay to watch. If they want to use your service they will have to work around that. So if they want to collect their child between 4-5pm they will have to come to the club to collect them. If they don't collect until after 5 they need to accept that their child will be out at a club for an hour. If they're happy with that, then great. If they're not happy then they need to look for a different childminder

16. Likes Maza liked this post