Risk Assessing Orbit online software for use in setting
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Risk Assessing Orbit online software for use in setting

Ive decided to use Orbit just so I can do Learning Journeys for the parent.

Ive created my first LJ and printed it and it looks great. Then I got to thinking......

- Should I have asked parents permission to use this?
    - Should I be risk assessing this software and where do I start if so?

My heads spinning with questions like should I just enter childs name a dob falsely so it cant relate to children in my setting. Then what if I want to share with parents (you can do that in this software). What are the risks there as a hacker would be able to get their email addresses even if the childs name is false.

I guess im looking for someone to come along who uses software for this purpose and advise what paperwork they had to do!

Thanks in advance!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Tapestry. I informed parents that I was going to use it. I changed my basic permissions sheet to say I use online LJ software. I tell all new parents that is how I work.
    The companies themselves can tell you how they keep their sites secure, you need to ask them rather than trying to RA yourself.
    You can remind parents to keep their passwords secret.
    Never had a problem with parents, they love it- loads of reception classes use Tapestry for all their class, these things are just standard now.
    Doesn't mean it isn't wise to think about security, but don't lose sleep over it! Yes, you need to use correct names and date of birth etc- would get very confusing otherwise! You could be sharing info with other settings and then school so you need to use it right.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still using Orbit. Getting use to the new updates. I have got permission from all parents to use it and share information with other providers if needed. This is becoming very common now and will continue if we share children with a nursery or preschool for example. It is good to show working you are with other providers to benefit the child's learning and development.