NEW medication clarification
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,506
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default NEW medication clarification

    DfE clarifies medication requirements -

    DfE Clarification on medicines in early years settings | From pregnancy to children aged 5

    Note prescription AND non prescription medication is referred to AND it clearly says parents should not be expected to get medication from a doctor if it can be bought from a chemist!!

    It also refers to an updated (May 2016) copy of 'Guidance on Infection Control' which now includes 'other childcare settings' and will be included in the revised Eyfs -

    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...in_schools.pdf


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    1,472
    Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you very much.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    405
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Interesting read.
    It says that gloves and aprons must be worn when changing nappies. If it's linked in the eyfs, I guess this will become statutory. I normally only use gloves, where can I get aprons?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,847
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    I don't wear aprons, and I only wear gloves for a dirty nappy.

    I buy my gloves online, I should think you can buy disposable aprons the same way.


    only once, in 14 years of childminding, have I ever needed to change any item of my clothing after changing a nappy ! ( and that was after changing a little boys nappy .... and unless I was in a onesie type apron, I would still have needed to change my clothes! )

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    1,472
    Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Aprons- really 😷Think I'll buy these also- masks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Stoke-On-Trent
    Posts
    506
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    re medicines just to clarify. If a child suddenly gets a high temperature could I decide if calpol was needed. I have had a few children that have had febrile convulsions due to a high temperature and have needed immediate paracetamol. Could I still give it if I hadn't got written permission and I was using my own judgement? Thank you
    Julie X X

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the never never land fighting off fae
    Posts
    7,001
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    re medicines just to clarify. If a child suddenly gets a high temperature could I decide if calpol was needed. I have had a few children that have had febrile convulsions due to a high temperature and have needed immediate paracetamol. Could I still give it if I hadn't got written permission and I was using my own judgement? Thank you
    No you can't make the decision to give medication a parent has to give you permission.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

  8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    No you can't make the decision to give medication a parent has to give you permission.
    What if a parent has already given permission on a previous occasion to use that particular medication for that particular purpose?

    I recall the last of Ofsted's "clarifications" (which usually just muddy the waters ) said we didn't have to get written consent every time if we used a medication for something they'd previously signed for; we just had to record the dose, time, etc. then get a signature at the end of the day to acknowledge that we'd informed them.

  10. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the never never land fighting off fae
    Posts
    7,001
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

    What if a parent has already given permission on a previous occasion to use that particular medication for that particular purpose?

    I recall the last of Ofsted's "clarifications" (which usually just muddy the waters ) said we didn't have to get written consent every time if we used a medication for something they'd previously signed for; we just had to record the dose, time, etc. then get a signature at the end of the day to acknowledge that we'd informed them.
    I would always say cover your back. What if an medicine was changed and said child was now allergic if it transpires you didn't get permission whose fault would it be?
    Long term illnesses etc I would have a care plan in place signed by the parents.

    In case of febrile convulsions I would have advance written permission to give calpol but that would be in my care plan. In other cases such as any other childhood illnesses I would always get permission first
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 17-10-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I would always say cover your back. What if an medicine was changed and said child was now allergic if it transpires you didn't get permission whose fault would it be?
    Long term illnesses etc I would have a care plan in place signed by the parents.

    In case of febrile convulsions I would have advance written permission to give calpol but that would be in my care plan. In other cases such as any other childhood illnesses I would always get permission first
    Yes, I agree.

    If I have previous consent in writing and I need to use the same medication for the same reason, I always 'phone the mum to check before giving a dose. That's just for the easy-going mums. The 'tricky' ones have to give written consent every time.

    Btw, if they're writing clear rules on exclusion into the new EYFS, can we expect to see schools being obliged to be as rigorous as we are?

    I'm sick (pardon the pun) of telling mums their child is excluded for 48 hours after D&V only for the mum to retort, "no - it's up to 24 hours: school told me."

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
NEW medication clarification NEW medication clarification NEW medication clarification

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk