Emergency evacuation bag
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Emergency evacuation bag

Do any of you have an emergency bag in case of evacuations? What do you have in them?

I have put in some bottled water and emergency contact details. I guess some money would be useful. Otherwise, I know local childminders who could help me out so I'm not sure much else is needed. Am I missing something vital?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was doing pre-reg training, my trainer made a big thing of this.

When I got the county fire service to check my premises and look at my fire plan, the officer was quite categorically against the idea. He said that any robust escape plan must contain the absolute rule that "nobody stops to collect any belongings."

In practical terms, yes, I do have an emergency evacuation pack, but not at my place. It stays at my in-laws' house around the corner.
    Last edited by bunyip; 26-09-2016 at 01:11 PM.

3. Likes rickysmiths, Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No I do not have one. Got enough to think about already!
    I am lucky enough to live in a friendly neighbourhood so if ever an emergency forced us out of the house we can knock on a door somewhere round here to get shelter until help arrived or until a friend could take us in.
    I'd only pack something like this if we lived in the sticks and literally could be standing in a field until parents came- but even then, I am sure the police/fire service would help us out.
    Even if we broke down in the car I always have drinks beakers and nappy bag with me, the AA would be out to me soon enough, and again I'm not shy about knocking on a door and asking for help if needs be.
    This is a 'once (or never) in a lifetime' event, so you do need to keep it in perspective!

5. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also always carry a little first aid kit and have all contact numbers in there too.

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    No I do not have one. Got enough to think about already!
    I am lucky enough to live in a friendly neighbourhood so if ever an emergency forced us out of the house we can knock on a door somewhere round here to get shelter until help arrived or until a friend could take us in.
    I'd only pack something like this if we lived in the sticks and literally could be standing in a field until parents came- but even then, I am sure the police/fire service would help us out.
    Even if we broke down in the car I always have drinks beakers and nappy bag with me, the AA would be out to me soon enough, and again I'm not shy about knocking on a door and asking for help if needs be.
    This is a 'once (or never) in a lifetime' event, so you do need to keep it in perspective!
    once, when I was nannying, had another car drive into me ( and push me into another car ) whilst going round a roundabout! My car was not driveable, and this was in the days before everyone had mobile phones. looking back, I have no idea what the other drivers did, but I removed 2 yr old from car, climbed over fence at side of road to knock on door of an office block to ask if I could use their phone! I rang my dad ( as couldn't think who else to call! he called breakdown, my bosses AND came along himself! ) and the police. the office staff were lovely and gave my nanny charge biscuits and juice, and played with him whilst things were sorted out! One lady offered to take us home, but we got a ride with the tow truck! much more exciting for a vehicle mad 2 yr old!

I've had to call breakdown out a couple of times since I've been childminding, and the minute they hear you have small children with you ( and are female! ) you go to the top of the list!

I don't have an emergency bag. my phone is generally in my pocket, and that has all numbers in it. If I had to get out of my house, like moggy says, I would go to a neighbour.

9. Likes moggy liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    When I was doing pre-reg training, my trainer made a big thing of this.

When I got the county fire service to check my premises and look at my fire plan, the officer was quite categorically against the idea. He said that any robust escape plan must contain the absolute rule that "nobody stops to collect any belongings."

In practical terms, yes, I do have an emergency evacuation pack, but not at my place. It stays at my in-laws' house around the corner.

Mine is in the boot of my car.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My car keys and mobile phone provide me with everything I need in an emergency as I can drive to my parents house or another childminders house, if for some reason I don't have time to pick up my phone, I would go to my neighbours to phone my husband as he also has a list of emergency contact details for parents (in case i'm injuried in car accident - his works number is my ICE number displayed on sign in my car).

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone. Some things to think about. My LA advisor suggested an emergency bag after she observed me doing a fire drill and leaving my phone inside. Normally my phone comes out with me but being watched put me off! Anyway, I will have a bag with emergency contacts in, as well as having emergency contacts in my phone, my normal going out bag and an envelope on my notice board! I also live in a friendly area - I had an instance of locking us all out of the house and we were able to wait for the locksmith in a neighbours house.