Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Should the 30 hours funding be stopped?

this report says it should! https://www.pre-school.org.uk/news/2...30-hours-offer

I know a lot of childminders - and group providers - are very concerned about their continued sustainability if it goes ahead...

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agreed .....

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

agreed also

Post Thanks / Like

Yes please

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    this report says it should! https://www.pre-school.org.uk/news/2...30-hours-offer

I know a lot of childminders - and group providers - are very concerned about their continued sustainability if it goes ahead...
    Honestly in my area no it would be welcomed.
    It would put us on a level playing with school nurseries why send to a cm for 15 hours when you get 30 with a school nursery.
    Come September there are very few 3 you funded unless they didn't get the school of their choice.
    The rate of funding is on par too
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely it should be stopped - but unlike almost every other provider I am not against it from a funding / sustainability perspective...Im against it for the gap its going to open up between children. Weve worked so hard over the last few years with disadvantaged 2 year olds to close the attainment gap by offering them 15 hours. Now many of those will still get 15 hours when they turn 3 , whilst their more affluent peers will get twice as much. Its the sole reason the government call it 30 hours childcare ...we all know that they are expecting us to teach , rightly so , but they cant admit to calling it education as education must be offered equally regardless of background.

it wont be stopped now though and the effects will be devastating.

8. Likes Mouse, FloraDora liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Absolutely it should be stopped - but unlike almost every other provider I am not against it from a funding / sustainability perspective...Im against it for the gap its going to open up between children. Weve worked so hard over the last few years with disadvantaged 2 year olds to close the attainment gap by offering them 15 hours. Now many of those will still get 15 hours when they turn 3 , whilst their more affluent peers will get twice as much. Its the sole reason the government call it 30 hours childcare ...we all know that they are expecting us to teach , rightly so , but they cant admit to calling it education as education must be offered equally regardless of background.

..Exactly.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe that even parents who are earning upto £100,000 can receive it!! Why do they need 30hrs free childcare? Its ludicrous. Even the 15hrs free for some families is ludicrous. A family I used to work for had 2 really high paying jobs and they still got 15hrs free?!?!

On another note:
    DH earned a few pounds over the child benefit limit and it was taken off of us...even though my wage is super c**p. But another family who earn £49k each still get it...but that's another gripe!!
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

11. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post

It was done as a vote winner. Clearly not thought out in any way and now they are stuck with a system that many providers can't substain
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

13. Likes bunyip liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post

On another note:
    DH earned a few pounds over the child benefit limit and it was taken off of us...even though my wage is super c**p. But another family who earn £49k each still get it...but that's another gripe!!
    Don't even go there! I quite agree and yet, they have a different criteria for free childcare!

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Should definitely be stopped. We have a preschool near me that's held in a church hall. They will be closing as they can't offer the 30 hours as the church won't let them have the hall any longer so parents are going elsewhere. A parent I work with went to visit a preschool as they suggested she put her child there from 9 to 3 instead of using me. When she asked what would she do for childcare after 3 pm the teacher just shrugged her shoulders. The extra hours just hasn't been thought through and is causing mayhem to childcare workers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    Should definitely be stopped. We have a preschool near me that's held in a church hall. They will be closing as they can't offer the 30 hours as the church won't let them have the hall any longer so parents are going elsewhere. A parent I work with went to visit a preschool as they suggested she put her child there from 9 to 3 instead of using me. When she asked what would she do for childcare after 3 pm the teacher just shrugged her shoulders. The extra hours just hasn't been thought through and is causing mayhem to childcare workers
    I hadn't thought of this...would they expect a childminder to pick up at 3 and do the remainder of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not to do with funding for me, I just can't bear the thought of so many tiny children going into large chain nurseries for so much of their early life.

18. Likes SYLVIA, Dragonfly liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    It's not to do with funding for me, I just can't bear the thought of so many tiny children going into large chain nurseries for so much of their early life.
    But wouldn't they be doing that if parents worked anyway?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just can't see how it would be "policed" as the extra 15 hours are only for working parents - would we have to regularly see wages slips as proof that parent still has a job? Would we have to pay back funding if parent stopped working and didn't tell us and therefore no longer qualified. Agree with others that this wasn't thought through properly and was only intended to sway voters, just think of all the time and money that has been put into this half baked idea - what a waste of tax payers money,

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    But wouldn't they be doing that if parents worked anyway?
    No, this is to encourage more parents into work- those who would have stayed home with their children otherwise. Now it will be 'cheaper' to have childcare for 30hrs a week, therefore going to work will be more worthwhile financially... but of course no one considers if that is best for the child.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to a briefing on this next week. I'm sure whoever came up with the idea is now regretting it. It's like when someone suggests shots on a night out and it seems like a great idea then you have the worst ever hangover. I'm sure if it goes ahead it will cause an huge hangover because I cannot see how it will work on many levels!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Looking forward to a briefing on this next week. I'm sure whoever came up with the idea is now regretting it. It's like when someone suggests shots on a night out and it seems like a great idea then you have the worst ever hangover. I'm sure if it goes ahead it will cause an huge hangover because I cannot see how it will work on many levels!
    Haha love the analogy!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont suppose that same person is regretting it , it won them an election - but the people who actually have to work out the logisticswill be having a nightmare!
    I just wish the media would see it for what it is , on the one hand today they are talking about nursery schools being under threat due to the policy ...yet they still call it childcare rather than education. I wish someone much cleverer and legal savvy than me would challenge this under the fact that the same education should be fairly available to ALL regardless of background.

25. Likes loocyloo liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast