Arts & crafts ideas - 2 yr olds
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Arts & crafts ideas - 2 yr olds

Hi everyone, I'm after some arts and crafts ideas for my two year olds, painting ideas, stuff we can make or do etc?

Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Painting with or without an out come. using different resources sponge dabblers , yoghurt pots etc.. Handprints made into butterflies etc. foam/ soap sud play , play dough, playdough, water play with bubbles in.use sticky backed plastic and let them stick things on it cellophane pieces?
    List is endless

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, projects with paint and craft.
    What about handprint hedgehog, tree using handprints as leaves or collect leaves and let them stick onto the tree you have drawn on paper.
    Paint acorns and cones/ leaf printing.
    Caterpillar out of a cut up egg box
    Tie a plastic bag on to a length of string, run with it, bag will fill with the wind and take off depending on length of string -can decorate bag first if you want.
    Cut out centre of paper plate attache sticky back plastic let them stick leaves coloured paper etc on.
    Someone will come along with lots more I'm sure

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I like printing with every day things - potato masher, old veg, back of a fork, old flower heads, duplo, scourers, cardboard tubes

Using various combs/pizza cutter to run through paint.

I try to offer a variety of canvases (?) for free painting, such as tin foil, 3D objects, paper plate, different textured paper, huge paper, small paper, different coloured paper, paper on easels, paper on the floor.

Make your own paint from real food or food colouring, textured paint, scented paint.

Mix two techniques/mediums - so paint and stickers, paint and colouring pencils, paint and glue/collage

Make clay objects or salt dough objects and paint them

My two year olds have usually ended up just painting their hands though. That's fine by me - they are obviously getting something out of it!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

My two year olds have usually ended up just painting their hands though. That's fine by me - they are obviously getting something out of it!
    Lol ... same thing always happens here! Or current favourite is gluing hands :-D :-D

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Sorry, projects with paint and craft. What about handprint hedgehog, tree using handprints as leaves or collect leaves and let them stick onto the tree you have drawn on paper. Paint acorns and cones/ leaf printing. Caterpillar out of a cut up egg box Tie a plastic bag on to a length of string, run with it, bag will fill with the wind and take off depending on length of string -can decorate bag first if you want. Cut out centre of paper plate attache sticky back plastic let them stick leaves coloured paper etc on. Someone will come along with lots more I'm sure
    Sorry painting OR crafts I mean...just anything I can do with two year olds. Currently we do the very predictable playdough, colouring, drawing, chalks, finger painting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Sorry painting OR crafts I mean...just anything I can do with two year olds. Currently we do the very predictable playdough, colouring, drawing, chalks, finger painting
    Oh and collages and sticking...

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I find it very hard to give a prescriptive answer, as I very rarely have a finished product in mind-it's all just exploring and investigating what paint/glue/paper etc can do.

Like Maza said, I offer a wide variety of resources and we go from there. Sometimes I might cut the paper into an elephant shape for example and then we stick/paint/colour or I might get a whole lot of elephant pictures and cut them out for the children to stick down or maybe provide black and white paint and see what happens.
    All the time talking to/with the children and following their lead and also being silent and giving them time to concentrate.

I know you don't like Pinterest, but it really is the best resource for this sort of question, or just Google and look at images.
    Last edited by loocyloo; 15-09-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Sorry, I find it very hard to give a prescriptive answer, as I very rarely have a finished product in mind-it's all just exploring and investigating what paint/glue/paper etc can do. Like Maza said, I offer a wide variety of resources and we go from there. Sometimes I might cut the paper into an elephant shape for example and then we stick/paint/colour or I might get a whole lot of elephant pictures and cut them out for the children to stick down or maybe provide black and white paint and see what happens. All the time talking to/with the children and following their lead and also being silent and giving them time to concentrate. I know you don't like Pinterest, but it really is the best resource for this sort of question, or just Google and look at images.
    I wasn't after a prescriptive answer just wondered what your two year olds enjoy! 🙂 I guess I like feedback from others rather than trawling through images which often don't -pardon the pun - paint much of a picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I like printing with every day things - potato masher, old veg, back of a fork, old flower heads, duplo, scourers, cardboard tubes Using various combs/pizza cutter to run through paint. I try to offer a variety of canvases (?) for free painting, such as tin foil, 3D objects, paper plate, different textured paper, huge paper, small paper, different coloured paper, paper on easels, paper on the floor. Make your own paint from real food or food colouring, textured paint, scented paint. Mix two techniques/mediums - so paint and stickers, paint and colouring pencils, paint and glue/collage Make clay objects or salt dough objects and paint them My two year olds have usually ended up just painting their hands though. That's fine by me - they are obviously getting something out of it!
    Thank you, this is something I don't do much of...printing with various objects, I'll give this a go, thank you!

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red Ted Art is a good website to look at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Red Ted Art is a good website to look at.
    Thanks loocyloo that's great :-) x

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to my Pinterest boards, there are literally hundreds of ideas on there on themed boards

https://uk.pinterest.com/mrscmyk/

16. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    Here's a link to my Pinterest boards, there are literally hundreds of ideas on there on themed boards

https://uk.pinterest.com/mrscmyk/
    thanks veggiesausage, it doesnt work for me unfortunately, it wants me to log in. But kind of you to share :-) x

18. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    thanks veggiesausage, it doesnt work for me unfortunately, it wants me to log in. But kind of you to share :-) x
    Join up! I get all my ideas on Pinterest it is totally fab.....its free....

20. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post

Join up! I get all my ideas on Pinterest it is totally fab.....its free....
    And you can be totally anonymous! No need to put any identifying info about yourself at all ... apart from what interests you . . So anyone looking at mine would guess I had an interest in early years!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont understand the pinterest reluctance ....a few of us follow each other on pinterest too , it is amazing for inspiration , everything you can imagine. I dont like social media sites at all , i dont tweet or facebook or instagram. I love pinterest though , much like on here I use a different name and dont share any personal details. Why not give it a go ?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I dont understand the pinterest reluctance ....a few of us follow each other on pinterest too , it is amazing for inspiration , everything you can imagine. I dont like social media sites at all , i dont tweet or facebook or instagram. I love pinterest though , much like on here I use a different name and dont share any personal details. Why not give it a go ?
    I use my forum name on Pinterest!

(And don't do social media at all)

24. Likes mama2three, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just a series of pictures or is their any feedback from people on any of the arts or activities or any text/instructions. What do you do just search for something and see what images pop up?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

you dont get feedback but people can stick one of your pictures onto one of their boards if they like the idea . So if you are looking for anything from christmas craft ideas to recipes to fashion then you type it in and you get hundreds of picture ideas. Some have a link to the original website they came from ..so then there may be instructions or information. you can then ''save'' the ideas yu like by pinning them to your own board. its very easy , rather addictive and incredibly inspiring.

27. Likes FloraDora liked this post