Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up FUNDING CONSULTATION

There is a new early years funding consultation.

It closes on 22nd September so there is still plenty of time to respond - https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...nd-4-year-olds

DfE introduce it here - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...-plan-launched - They say they are committed to ensuring funding is fair...

This is an interesting summary of some of the main points - 7 things to know about the consultation on early years funding

For all those who have moaned and groaned about the level of funding they get from their Local Authority... they're asking for our opinions... make sure you respond!!

2. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aaaargh! Thought I'd posted a couple of days ago to this but obviously didn't press the submit button

I went to an LA briefing session and got the impression that this has been kept very quiet as they were in a mad panic about it....

I also got the impression that the base rate (for all providers) would be reduced to fund the 'add ons' that were on offer:
    Rurality/Sparsity - top up for provisions in these areas
    Flexibility - for providers to offer more flexible childcare (earlier/longer hours)
    Efficiency - Encourage exploitation of efficiences identified in the cost of childcare review (??)
    Delivery the additional 15hrs - an incentive for providers to offer 30 hrs for 3 & 4 yr olds

So, if you don't live in a rural area (I don't) and or aren't able to extend your working hours (I'm 7am - 6pm as it is!), or aren't able to exploit the efficiency criteria (haven't quite figured out the efficiency one beyond accepting it will mean more paperwork ) then providers will only be entitled to a reduced government base rate with one top up for the additional 15 hours

Can anyone tell me if I've got this wrong?
    What are your thoughts?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks ... I think I responded a few weeks ago, but maybe not.

I definitely responded to a funding consultation!

I wrote that if funding fell to below my hourly rate, then I would not be able to offer funded sessions. AND regardless of whatever else they said or did, that was the bottom line. I only work with a few children and can not afford to be paid my usual fees.

I am in a rural area, but can't really extend my hours due to family commitments and I'm not picking up the 'slack' from other settings who can't offer flexibility either. I do sometimes think that the powers that be forget that childminders are people with families too!
    Last edited by loocyloo; 11-09-2016 at 08:19 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I found it was worded very badly and I really struggled with the replies ... I did tell them that when I replied!

I agree if the funding isn't right it won't be sustainable for a lot of people including a lot of the nurseries who are currently campaigning.

I do hope they get it right but I'm not holding out much hope after trying to answer the consultation

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am finding that more and more parents are expecting to use the funding for preschool and not pay me to keep spaces available during that time. I also can see a new problem arising here. All 3 of my mindees will go to the same preschool but the preschool now have 3 different pick up times; 12, 1.00 and 3.30. I can't do the late one as I go to a different school but not sure whether to say only a 12 pick up. I'll still have the same problem of payment whilst at preschool. The whole funded issue is a wider problem than just money

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well, I've answered it again!

they do word things to give the answer they wish to hear! I hope they read all the comments though, as my comment didn't always 'quite' match what they were asking, but I was making sure I got my point across!