Charging for wrap around care
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging for wrap around care

For those of you who drop of and/or pick up pre schoolers how do you charge? Do you stick to an hourly rate or do you do a day rate? Im aware that doing an hourly rate you miss out on earning any money whilst they are pre shcool so is a day rate better? If you do a day rate do you do one rate for term time and another for holidays or do the same?

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

If I drop off and pick up to preschool/nursery then I charge for the hours the kids are there, I can't fill that space. Never once had a parent question it.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Posit: Mum brings the child to me around breakfast time; I take them to preschool, where they stay for the morning; I collect after preschool and provide care for the rest of the day. In this situation I would charge:-

• My standard flat fee for a school run, plus......
    • + No charge for the time the lo is at preschool.
    • + My hourly rate for the afternoon care.

I would then make an effort to fill the time they're at preschool, or enjoy a quieter morning and the opportunities that presents.

I would not take every job like this just because it's there. I'd have to bee sure there was a sound child-centred reason why they have to be at preschool in the first place. Will they particularly benefit from a group setting? Is it helping a forthcoming transition to school? Is it the best way to get to know their future schoolmates?

I don't simply ferry children to other settings to save parents money or because mum has some irrational 'gut-feeling' that "nursery is best for them." If they don't respect the fact that I can provide the same (or better) quality service then it's a non-starter.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am expected to pick up, drop off, cover pre prep/nursery/playgroup holidays, Inset days, emergency closure and child just too tired for setting I charge full fee whilst they attend other setting until they are attending full time. Never had a parent not understand my terms and why.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a minimum daily fee for pre-schoolers. It's slightly cheaper than the whole day but I do that to guarantee a fair income for myself. It does put some parents off, who only want a couple of hours care, but tbh I'd rather offer the place to a family where I can maximise my income!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    . I'd have to bee sure there was a sound child-centred reason why they have to be at preschool in the first place. Will they particularly benefit from a group setting? Is it helping a forthcoming transition to school? Is it the best way to get to know their future schoolmates? I don't simply ferry children to other settings to save parents money or because mum has some irrational 'gut-feeling' that "nursery is best for them." If they don't respect the fact that I can provide the same (or better) quality service then it's a non-starter.
    Love this- out of interest, if it's a family you currently care for who then announce they are starting preschool, what do you say? Most of mine attend preschools days they aren't with me but I care for twins who I get the feeling will want to go to preschool soon - their next door neighbour runs a preschool and babysits for them in evenings.

As for the original post - I charge per hour. At the moment I don't have children going to preschool in the middle but I do have funded children who use funding during times with me. I do them a different fee term and holiday time with free hours included in the term time hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoRo163 View Post
    I charge a minimum daily fee for pre-schoolers. It's slightly cheaper than the whole day but I do that to guarantee a fair income for myself. It does put some parents off, who only want a couple of hours care, but tbh I'd rather offer the place to a family where I can maximise my income!
    Do you charge them the same whether its a day they attend pre school or a day in their holidays?

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Do you charge them the same whether its a day they attend pre school or a day in their holidays?
    Not necessarily.

Eg pre-school pickup 12:00 & look after til 4. I'd charge £30 minimum daily fee.

Holiday period 8am til 4 pm £4.50ph

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Love this- out of interest, if it's a family you currently care for who then announce they are starting preschool, what do you say?
    Yes I can see the potential for problems as you describe.

So far it hasn't arisen as a problem, mainly because I only do pre-school runs to the one pre-school which is very close to the village school. If mums want their lo's to go to another group setting, I simply can't do the logistics, so they have to go on a different day when parents can do the drop-off and pick-up for themselves. I'm ok with that and provide systems so the other setting can communicate and share information with us.

On the whole, I'm happy with mindees eventually going to the village preschool. In most cases, they will then go on to the village school, so it is good for them to be introduced to their classmates and helps the transition into school. This is particularly so if they go at the right time, so I work with parents to consult/suggest/advise on the best timing.

I must admit, I'm having a few doubts about how things will go in the future. There seems to be a sudden marked trend in children entering preschool at an earier age than I've known before. I had no children starting school this year, so wasn't expecting many September changes. So I was taken by surprise when five families announced they were starting preschool or school-based nursery, especially as the oldest of these was 3 years and a week old when he started preschool. Most just reduced their hours with me, although one left: her school-based nursery insisted she do 5 days pw or nothing at all (so much for parental choice.)

Whilst I have only anecdotal evidence on this, I've a strong suspicion this is linked with the forthcoming 30 "free" hours scheme, and is likely to continue and maybe become more widespread. Nurseries and other group settings seem to be telling parents they need to already have a foot in the door before the 30 hours commences or there might miss out on a place due to the demand exceeding the supply of places.

Purely a personal hunch/opinion, but I'm waiting to see how it all pans out.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it makes sense if you do 1 run to always do that run. Currently I don't do any but it was easier when I did as then I could say I only accommodate that 1. There are 3 within walking distance of me and then I have 2 that go to 2 different ones in the next town where there are another 3 to choose from! Our school nursery class has always been 5 mornings or nothing. It's the reason I didn't send mine there.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I should have mentioned................. indecisive mummies.

One of those who was so sure her sweet one was ready for a group setting is now in a different frame of mind. She has decided "he hasn't settled as I'd like" after, ooooh, a whole three attendances at preschool (a total of 9 hours), and has told them he'll be leaving. (Not sure whether or not this is related to Mum being affronted when asked to sign an incident form after the little chap lamped one of his playmates with a toy truck.)

Mummy is now very put out because I've had to tell her that her DS cannot simply step back into his old Thursday slot because it's already been filled with a baby due to start next month. I wasn't entirely sorry to tell her she'd already burned her boats, and now she has to contemplate a retraction with preschool.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh I bet you were heartbroken having to give her that news ;-D

13. Likes bunyip liked this post