Over 8's policy
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Over 8's policy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Over 8's policy

As the mindees grow I am now in a position where I care for several children over 8. I have decided to write a policy which addresses a couple of issues that I have noticed, which are things like - chat that is not really suitable for younger ears, using unsuitable language eg:- "God damn", talking about not believing in Santa, tooth fairy etc. Can anyone think of anything else I could add? I am also going to remind them that I don't allow phones and tablet devices.

Registered Childminder since
    July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a policy for over 8's, but I did write a letter to parents a while back explaining that care of older children must not impact the younger children in a negative way, whether directly or indirectly. I was having some issues with very boisterous behaviour and after school was becoming a very stressful 3 hours where I was spending more time dealing with the eldest children, which I was unhappy about. I'd get the parents on board with behaviour management, and expectations of behaviour. What about doing a home/childminder agreement, involving the kids? This could tackle specific issues, such as language and demonstrate that it won't be tolerated.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoRo163 View Post
    I don't have a policy for over 8's, but I did write a letter to parents a while back explaining that care of older children must not impact the younger children in a negative way, whether directly or indirectly. I was having some issues with very boisterous behaviour and after school was becoming a very stressful 3 hours where I was spending more time dealing with the eldest children, which I was unhappy about. I'd get the parents on board with behaviour management, and expectations of behaviour. What about doing a home/childminder agreement, involving the kids? This could tackle specific issues, such as language and demonstrate that it won't be tolerated.
    :-) pretty much what I did, but sadly the child whose behaviour was the most frustrating was my own and I couldn't give notice!
    DS spends most of his time in his room and if he does venture down is loved by the LOs and is nice with them. DD is just entering the 'I'm now at high school' phase and is not always pleasant but she is out dancing most of the time!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently myself and the older children 'wrote' a 'rules' board. They all took turns in writing 'no pushing', 'no arguing' etc on this board and then we chatted about how important the rules are for everyone. The ideas are all theirs, well I had to prompt a few of them. The board looked really good. It was in their own handwriting with all different stages of letter formation and spelling. In different coloured markers. We then showed it to each parent with a little chat about expectations and each parent took it on board. The board is permanently on display. I also have a policy on gadgets/mobile phones which each parent is aware off. The children are made aware of this when necessary but what seems to happen here is that the younger children listen and know what is happening as I tend to discuss things like this openly normally during meal times when everyone is listening. The older children who now walk to and from school unaccompanied by myself have signed a 'walking agreement' with myself and their parent about rules and expectations.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    :-) pretty much what I did, but sadly the child whose behaviour was the most frustrating was my own and I couldn't give notice!
    Soddus lawrus

I don't have anything drawn up as such, parents, and children, know that we have our house rules and that there are consequences if they're not upheld - plus the children are very quick to point out wrongdoings

In my behaviour management policy I inform parents of over 8's that if their childs behaviour impacts negatively on the younger ones then I will have no choice but to terminate due to the EYFS regulations I must abide by.
    I explain I have a 3 strike rule and will hand them a 'provisional notice letter' on the second strike.
    This means they have been given 4 week notice, parents can look for another provider and leave at the end of that period (or before if they so choose to), or their child can stay however, if behaviour does not improve during the notice period they leave.
    If behaviour does improve, but reverts back at any time once the notice period is over, I reserve the right to terminate immediately on the third strike.

Thankfully, I've not had to implement anything to date as my over 8's have been here since they were younger, but I'm confident enough to do it should I have to.

6. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How about mentioning that they must not pick up/lift the little ones? You could mention that while you are happy to let them 'help out' with the little ones - they will not be allowed to feed them or take them to the toilet etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help everyone, I've decided to do something less formal than a policy which takes these ideas onboard.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    :-) pretty much what I did, but sadly the child whose behaviour was the most frustrating was my own and I couldn't give notice! DS spends most of his time in his room and if he does venture down is loved by the LOs and is nice with them. DD is just entering the 'I'm now at high school' phase and is not always pleasant but she is out dancing most of the time!
    My dd now goes to holiday club for this reason 😂