Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Ratios AGAIN!

Hello!

Sorry ... I've just had a long chat with a friend, who rang Ofsted yesterday to ask for clarification about continuity of care and was told categorically that 'NO. YOU CAN NOT CARE FOR MORE THAN 3 CHILDREN, USING CONTINUITY OF CARE, THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GO OVER 3 IS FOR BABY SIBLINGS.' She had parts of EYFS 2014 quoted at her. she thinks 3.40?

I've said that provided it is exceptional circumstances and you can fully care for all the children safely, then its up to each individual childminder to assess each individual situation and make their own decision.

I quoted 3.30 but she is worried, as she needs to go to 4 under 5 one day as a mum has had to change her working days ( and there is no other childcare available as friend is only minder in area! ( and no nursery! )

sorry, not sure what I'm asking, just what has anyone else heard?

Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the people who answer the phones at Ofsted often don't have a clue what they're talking about and continue to get things like this wrong.

Are you on the forum facebook group? I know there are copies of letters on there that clarify when you can exceed ratios - letters from people much higher up than those answering the phones. I'm not sure if they're on here anywhere, but admin would know.

If childminders are still being given wrong information it should be reported higher up the chain.

On the day of my last inspection I only had 2 children here, but the inspector could see I often had 4 EYs children at a time. There was no problem with it at all and she was such a dragon she'd have jumped straight on it if I'd been doing anything wrong!

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think they were wrong. I'm sure it states somewhere that continuity of care is there for parents who have to change their day or if their shift pattern changes and not just for baby siblings. It's to keep the care CONTINUOUS for the child!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

:-) Thanks, thats what I thought, and I did read her the copy of the letter that I downloaded from the forum ages ago.

Can anyone give me a link to Facebook info? I'm not on Facebook but could forward it to my friend! Thanks x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    :-) Thanks, thats what I thought, and I did read her the copy of the letter that I downloaded from the forum ages ago.

Can anyone give me a link to Facebook info? I'm not on Facebook but could forward it to my friend! Thanks x
    I'm going to ask Rick of he will put the copies of the letters from the dfe in here too
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

Hope this works

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/fi...Ratios_FAQ.pdf
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes BallyH, loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I put the letters in the following thread. For some reason I can't open the files now. Maybe it's just me.

IMPORTANT INFO FROM OFSTED AND DfE

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I put the letters in the following thread. For some reason I can't open the files now. Maybe it's just me.

IMPORTANT INFO FROM OFSTED AND DfE
    Thanks ... I can open the thread, but not the files

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted don't call it 'continuity of care' as those words aren't in the Eyfs ... but as the document linked above clearly shows we can offer it.

We can, as others have said, offer a space for a current child in our provision even if that takes us to 4 under 5 - with a risk assessment and after speaking to other parents and considering any concerns they might have.

More information here - Changes to Conditions of Registration

Hth

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Ofsted don't call it 'continuity of care' as those words aren't in the Eyfs ... but as the document linked above clearly shows we can offer it.

We can, as others have said, offer a space for a current child in our provision even if that takes us to 4 under 5 - with a risk assessment and after speaking to other parents and considering any concerns they might have.

More information here - Changes to Conditions of Registration

Hth
    THANK YOU!

15. Likes sarah707 liked this post