Daily Mail Article: Childcare Costs
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,078
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Daily Mail Article: Childcare Costs

    Sorry for linking to a cringe Daily Mail article but thought some of you might be interested in the comments section on the cost of childcare!! Enjoy...

    Why are families earning £50,000 broke at the end of the month? | Daily Mail Online

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    OMG, the utter hardship the bourgeoisie have to suffer: having to go a whole 4 years without a foreign holiday*.

    And to think, all my self-indulgent single mum had to do was forego a few meals to make sure I could have a new pair of shoes whenever the old ones could no longer be repaired.

    *Actually, I'm surprised the Daily Mail is suggesting people ought to go abroad, since foreign counntries are full of all those dreadful people who can't speak English and won't serve a decent 'full English'. (tongue firmly in cheek.)

    Gimme strength.

    Is this what the Daily Mail really does, now it can no longer fill the spaces between Tory Central Office press releases with sycophantic pictures of the Queen Mum and Lady Die? (and that's not a typo.)

    This is why I read Socialist Worker.
    Last edited by bunyip; 26-08-2016 at 11:04 PM.

  3. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    PS. If they really need a 4-bedroom house, perhaps they could save £20 by eating the goddamn guinea pig.

  5. Likes Kiddleywinks, Dragonfly liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    330
    Registered Childminder since
    May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love reading the Daily Mail but £11 per hour for a childminder?

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,078
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post
    I love reading the Daily Mail but £11 per hour for a childminder?
    Lol I wondered that too but it's for their 2 children so guessing £5.50 an hour

  8. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,229
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Lol I wondered that too but it's for their 2 children so guessing £5.50 an hour
    Yes, I think I was for two children.

    It's quite sad that we think things like Sky TV are necessities and still moan about being poor.

    Some of the families were annoyingly lucky - like the family who bought their house before the property boom, and the couple whose parents helped her out with childcare.

    I would love to know what hours these families are working.

  9. Likes Kiddleywinks, Pixie dust, Ripeberry liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    2,140
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    I get so angry at this kind of media sh1te!

    My apologies if that word offends anyone, but honestly, what being on the breadline really means and what these people think being on the breadline means are worlds apart from those that are, or have been, on their behinds financially.

    I speak from experience having gone without food/clothes myself so my kids could eat/have school shoes/underwear.
    We didn't have sky/virgin, a mobile,broadband, holidays, a car, or underwear without holes in!

    If you're overspending by £615 PER MONTH you're living beyond your means in a big way - do what everyone else does and find ways to cut back!
    Start by getting rid of the sky box, and the season ticket, and shop around for food like the rest of us

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    978
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    I get so angry at this kind of media sh1te! My apologies if that word offends anyone, but honestly, what being on the breadline really means and what these people think being on the breadline means are worlds apart from those that are, or have been, on their behinds financially. I speak from experience having gone without food/clothes myself so my kids could eat/have school shoes/underwear. We didn't have sky/virgin, a mobile,broadband, holidays, a car, or underwear without holes in! If you're overspending by £615 PER MONTH you're living beyond your means in a big way - do what everyone else does and find ways to cut back! Start by getting rid of the sky box, and the season ticket, and shop around for food like the rest of us
    Is it just me, but yo me, Mum looks like she is a bit preggers in the green dress in the photo.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,229
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    Is it just me, but yo me, Mum looks like she is a bit preggers in the green dress in the photo.
    She is. In the article it says they have three kids and the youngest is two weeks - so they took the photo before the baby was born as there are only two kids in the photo.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    978
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    She is. In the article it says they have three kids and the youngest is two weeks - so they took the photo before the baby was born as there are only two kids in the photo.
    Ah, I missed that bit. Thanks. I do think I have read about this family before as they live about 10 miles away from me.

  14. Likes Maza liked this post
  15. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    482
    Registered Childminder since
    1993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree with what's been said about these families cutting their cloth accordingly as we all have too but what I don't get is our need as minders to justify some one else earning £11 per hour "......its for 2 children" we are generally so undervalued let's please not do it to each other. If there is a minder charging this or more good on them.

  16. Likes Maza liked this post
  17. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So the Daily Mail is highlighting how even so-called "respectable, hard-working" families of Middle England are being hurt by the true cost of British Late Capitalist ideology: property ownership; privatised transport; privatised utility companies; private gym memberships; multi-car families; and the expenses involved in both parents going to work.

    Pure coincidence, of course, that this agenda precisely matches national socio-economic policy since Thatcher's times, as promoted by such publications as......er.........well......The Daily Mail.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Daily Mail Article: Childcare Costs Daily Mail Article: Childcare Costs Daily Mail Article: Childcare Costs

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk