Learning journey advice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning journey advice

I've got a mindee coming for his "last contracted day" today as he starts school in September. However he hasn't fully left as he's going to be an Adhoc only child (occasional holiday care). My question is would you give the parents the folder today or keep until he's finished reception for Ofsted purposes?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Once he is in full-time YR school (10 sessions a week) he does not count as EYFS for you, so Ofsted would not expect to see LJ. Ofsted only want to hear about progress and attainment of children there on the day of the inspection so he wouldn't be there anyway. If they happened to inspect you on a holiday-day when he was doing ad-hoc with you (unlikely anyway I guess?), he would count as a schoolie anyway so no LJ.
    So, I'd be handing it over to parents now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Moggy, I sometimes get confused about what's required once they start school :-)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Moggy is right: there are no requirements to keep learning and development records once a child is in full time school. I can't remember whether this is written into EYFS or just one of Ofsted's guidance documents, but a smarter member than I will know for sure.

Strictly speaking, and unless you've made some contractual promise to the contrary, there is no requirement to handover the LJ when the child leaves. It's the CM's working tool and, legally, the CM's intellectual property.The only EYFS requirement (3.70) states, "parents must be given access to all records about their child......[etc.]". "Access" is not "ownership", and there's nothing to stop you keeping the LJ should you so wish. The only requirement is to allow parents to see it, and to provide a summary assessment of the child's L&D progress at the point of leaving your setting altogether.

That said, it's widely regarded as good practice to hand over the LJ at the appropriate time. In most circumstances I wouldn't see any good reason not to do so. Some CMs like to hang onto the LJ through the reception year, and include a small number of entries which demonstrate partnership working with school, parents, etc. I do this because my inspection improvement goal is to strengthen links with school, etc. I also add an observation if the child comes to me in the holidays, but these are minimal, and just to demonstrate we're working to consolidate his school learning.

IIWY I'd discuss what the parents would prefer, within the limits of what you'd like to do. If you just want to hand it over, then do that: one less bit of paperwork to be bothered with. If you think you'd like to keep it for Year R then propose that to the family and point out the benefits. If you do hand it over, just ask mum to look after it in case you need to refer to it at a later date.

Parents can have very different attitudes to LJs. Some value them for the educational record that they are. Some will treasure them as a memento of a special time in their lo's childhood. Others will lose or discard all your painstaking work without a second thought.
    Last edited by bunyip; 22-08-2016 at 07:43 AM.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

IF the child is still coming to me whilst they are in reception, then i keep the LJ until they finish reception.

I may put the occasional observation in, and any contact between myself and teachers/parents etc. i don't particularly bother with the 'tracker' though, as school do that.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've just handed over one of my LJs - it was finished so I passed it to parents - he starts school in a couple of weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies, I couldn't log on to respond! I decided to pass it on :-) his mum is still on mat leave until Jan, I'm away in Feb half term so I might not see him again until Easter and he would only do 1 or 2 days so didn't seem worth keeping hold of. This is also a lovely family who I'm sure will enjoy the LJ as a memory so it was nice to pass it on. I now use tapestry so it will be easier in the future as I can send the pdf but also keep a copy for reference if needed.

9. Likes bunyip liked this post