Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Craft Items

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Craft Items

Hi
    I just had my pre reg yesterday and I already have children waiting to start at beginning of september. Im just getting my resources together and im working through section by section to see what I still need.
    Today is my craft section
    I have coloured paper, card, tissue papers, corrugated card
    Ready mix paint, standard and metallic
    Fabric Pens
    Stam pens
    Felt tips
    Crayons
    Pencil Crayons
    Pencils
    Chalk
    Foam stickers
    Ordinary stickers
    Pom poms
    Pipe cleaners
    Felt
    Foam
    Hama beads
    Beads and Wire
    Glue both pritt sticks and pva
    Will that be enough, is there anything essential I have missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newbielou View Post
    Hi I just had my pre reg yesterday and I already have children waiting to start at beginning of september. Im just getting my resources together and im working through section by section to see what I still need. Today is my craft section I have coloured paper, card, tissue papers, corrugated card Ready mix paint, standard and metallic Fabric Pens Stam pens Felt tips Crayons Pencil Crayons Pencils Chalk Foam stickers Ordinary stickers Pom poms Pipe cleaners Felt Foam Hama beads Beads and Wire Glue both pritt sticks and pva Will that be enough, is there anything essential I have missing?

Definitely sounds like a good start :-)

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great!

Don't forget to check if you have any left handers and then you can pick up some left handed scissors. x

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I just had my pre reg yesterday and I already have children waiting to start at beginning of september. Im just getting my resources together and im working through section by section to see what I still need.
    Fabric Pens
    Stam pens
    Felt tips
    Crayons
    Pencil Crayons
    Pencils
    Chalk
    Foam stickers
    Ordinary stickers
    Pom poms
    Pipe cleaners
    Felt
    Foam
    Hama beads
    Beads and Wire
    I think you have more than me! I would wait to see what the kids you are looking after are into before you get anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget nature gives you loads of resources and they are fun to collect too xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    Don't forget nature gives you loads of resources and they are fun to collect too xx
    On this subject, where does everyone get their lovely large fir comes from? Can you buy them at all?

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Get my cones from the trees!! this time of year is good to collect them and stash away for later in the year.yes you can buy them but I never have,the kids enjoy hunting for ones the squirrels haven't touched.

8. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy them at extortionate prices along with bundles of twigs and bags of pebbles but why? Just head to your nearest forest/national trust/park?

10. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I just had my pre reg yesterday and I already have children waiting to start at beginning of september. Im just getting my resources together and im working through section by section to see what I still need. Today is my craft section I have coloured paper, card, tissue papers, corrugated card Ready mix paint, standard and metallic Fabric Pens Stam pens Felt tips Crayons Pencil Crayons Pencils Chalk Foam stickers Ordinary stickers Pom poms Pipe cleaners Felt Foam Hama beads Beads and Wire Glue both pritt sticks and pva Will that be enough, is there anything essential I have missing?
    Where did you buy your corrugated card from?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    On this subject, where does everyone get their lovely large fir comes from? Can you buy them at all?
    Baker Ross will gladly extort you for plenty of stuff you can pick up in the woods.

Speaking of wood, last time I checked, TTS wanted £80 plus VAT for a "Forest School resource pack". It's no more and no less than a bag of wood with an A4 sheet of instructions.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Fabric Pens
    Stam pens
    Felt tips
    Crayons
    Pencil Crayons
    Pencils
    Chalk
    Foam stickers
    Ordinary stickers
    Pom poms
    Pipe cleaners
    Felt
    Foam
    Hama beads
    Beads and Wire
    I would say that's plenty to get started, then follow what the children like or ask for.

Fool that I am, I began with shed loads of craft, much of which remains untouched five years down the line.

You may have a local scrap store or resource centre. Whereabouts are you?

Aug 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Where did you buy your corrugated card from?
    From inside my amazon parcels
    Ive also got some coloured sheets from the craft packs at poundland.

Aug 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.
    Thats a great idea about natural resources. Ill take my boys rummaging around the local woods one day this week. Ive collected some bits already for an outdoor kitchen.

I think im worrying more about having resources suited to older children. Maybe ill purchase a few craft kits that would appeal.

Thanks

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.
    Thats a great idea about natural resources. Ill take my boys rummaging around the local woods one day this week. Ive collected some bits already for an outdoor kitchen.

I think im worrying more about having resources suited to older children. Maybe ill purchase a few craft kits that would appeal.
    Thanks
    The problem with kits is that they can be expensive and sometimes are one hit wonders - making them even more expensive.

Don't forget to look in your recycling bin too.

How old do you mean when you say 'older kids'?

Mine have all been very creative with home made playdough. Yes, they have nothing to take home at the end of the day, but that doesn't bother me or the parents/children at all. I did invest in some clay though and that has always gone down well and a big bag lasts for ages.

Aug 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Oldest child at the moment is 5 and dont really want to take on any older. My eldest son is 7 so want no older than him if that makes sense?

I was looking at the fimo type stuff in the range but didnt know how safe it would be to have around little ones.

18. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The 4 year olds I look after at the moment like empty boxes and masking tape.

They make all sorts of structures that they can either take home, or take apart to use again another time. Masking tape is good as it's usually easy enough for them to tear pieces off themselves and it peels off the boxes if they want to rearrange things.

I keep cereal boxes (undo the sides so you can fold them flat for storage), toothpaste boxes...actually any sort of box from big to small. What I usually do is unstick the sides of the boxes, open them out and stick them back together again inside out. It gives the children blank boxes to work with that are easier to paint on than printed ones.

20. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been moon walking this week booster packs made from two large milk containers attached together and then to child with masking tape and lots of foil survival blankets, bubble wrap for walking on. They all had endless fun for very little cost.