Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Learning delays

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning delays

There is probably a very simple answer to this but what do we do if we identify learning delays?
    I have sat with parent concerned and pointed out where he isn't quite achieving in the correct age bracket and have recommended she have a chat with her health visitor incase there is some extra support put there for him.
    Is there anything else I should do? Never had to deal with this before but suddenly there is actually two kiddies that are causing me concern.
    Any advise would be much appreciated
    Blondes have more fun!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends what the area is and how far behind they are... Can you give any more details?
    HV is a good start, but depending on what the issue is then parent might need to see GP, Speech & Language drop-in, physio, support from Children & Family Centre drop-ins... but hopefully the HV will point them in the right direction.
    I would also be researching what I can do in my setting to support the child and looking for advise from the LA EY team if needed, training courses, resources to borrow/buy etc.
    But if the child is only very slightly behind and is otherwise on-track (this is where gut-feeling counts, I believe), I wouldn't be overly worried- they develop at their own rates and EYO is only a guide. There are other very good guides to development such as Universally Speaking (free booklet to order) https://www.thecommunicationtrust.or...-speaking.aspx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Moggy. It's mainly communication and behaviour. He's showing a few sings of autism if I'm honest. Gut feeling tells me there is something wrong.
    The thing is, what training etc do I do when we don't actually know what is wrong? Training is expensive and time consuming and I don't want to go running off down the wrong lane. Surely it needs referring and looked at by professionals first?
    Blondes have more fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeMoment View Post
    Thank you Moggy. It's mainly communication and behaviour. He's showing a few sings of autism if I'm honest. Gut feeling tells me there is something wrong. The thing is, what training etc do I do when we don't actually know what is wrong? Training is expensive and time consuming and I don't want to go running off down the wrong lane. Surely it needs referring and looked at by professionals first?
    Hi BM there's a free autism training course you can do...ill post a link when I get a moment...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeMoment View Post
    Thank you Moggy. It's mainly communication and behaviour. He's showing a few sings of autism if I'm honest. Gut feeling tells me there is something wrong.
    The thing is, what training etc do I do when we don't actually know what is wrong? Training is expensive and time consuming and I don't want to go running off down the wrong lane. Surely it needs referring and looked at by professionals first?
    You're right that specific training won't help if you don't know what you're dealing with. You could do some internet searches for autism and behaviour though as it might give you some ideas of techniques you can use while you're waiting for him to get help.

I would phone my LA Early Years team and ask what they think is the best place to go to for help and advice. I usually recommend the HV as the first step, but in my experience HVs can be very dismissive and don't always take the interest we'd like them to. It might be that you can do an actual referral to a HV rather than just send mum to ask and that might move things along a bit further. Check with your LA if/how you do that.

How old is the child? Have they had a 2 year assessment with the HV yet?

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mouse's suggestion about contacting your LA early years team, they may have a pre-school inclusion team that can work with. I assume you have parental consent to contact other professionals.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If there is a speech/language or communication issue can you refer them to your local speech and language team ? Definitely speak to your local authority early years support team I know some areas have better support than others. referred a child to speech and language in the past with a child I had significant concerns with. They have been having support for the last 2 years and are only now deciding that this child is showing signs of being on the Autistic spectrum (I thought this 18 months ago) The earlier you can get support the better. Good luck!
    Pixie Dust

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What age is the child? Could it be part of an inter department two year old review?
    I would ask permission of parent to discuss with LEA SEND dept ....following the SEND policy.
    It's always good to highlight concerns early but lots of specific work would need to be undergone before exploring autistic spectrum issues.
    I have observed so many children who's parents have thought AS diagnosis was the answer when plain old parental behaviour management is the issue - this is not dismissing catching issues early....so all avenues need to be explored. Specific obs and lots of evidence where a child is not meeting age related progress and development is our first focus in this situation...so that our 'gut' feeling is backed up by specific evidence that can be discussed at reviews etc..photos, detailed obs is the way forward.

9. Likes moggy, Pixie dust liked this post