1 year olds! Activity ideas
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1 year olds! Activity ideas

Hi can anyone help me with ideas for one year olds please? I'm stuck as to what to do with my non walkers! Thank you :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone?! :-)

Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

what kind of things? Im sure there are lots of toys aimed at this age range but we have lots and lots of loose parts and holistic play. Lots of natural objects for exploring , treasure baskets , lots of sensory play - weve had a large branch with lots of ribbons , bells etc hung from it , tubes and things to post or roll down , pots and spoons and edible messy play , sensory socks with different smelly bits inside , texture blocks for exploring and crawling along...lots of rolling objects to encourage movement and gross physical skills , exciting objects placed at different levels to encourage pulling up , reaching , coasting etc...... A pile of hats or scarves , baskets . Firm favourite is always water play in any form.

4. Likes mumofone, FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    what kind of things? Im sure there are lots of toys aimed at this age range but we have lots and lots of loose parts and holistic play. Lots of natural objects for exploring , treasure baskets , lots of sensory play - weve had a large branch with lots of ribbons , bells etc hung from it , tubes and things to post or roll down , pots and spoons and edible messy play , sensory socks with different smelly bits inside , texture blocks for exploring and crawling along...lots of rolling objects to encourage movement and gross physical skills , exciting objects placed at different levels to encourage pulling up , reaching , coasting etc...... A pile of hats or scarves , baskets . Firm favourite is always water play in any form.
    Thanks mama2three, lovely ideas, can I ask what loose parts, natural items and holistic items you have that they enjoy?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Great suggestions.....I would add space....to crawl and sturdy surfaces to stand at and move around between. Most one year olds are curious about anything that is just out of their reach. My current LO's around this age love my cd rack in the hallway - they spend long sustained playtime taking them out, looking at the pictures and attempting to put them back...they haven't yet worked out that the cases open yet...in fact I don't think they know what they are, just something to take out and put back.
    I have an old spinny spice bottle holder that is just a stick that spins around now- with wooden curtain rings, fabric and sparkly bracelets, home made hard dough rings and dried fruits they put the items on and off and spin and watch and explore - always a winner.
    But like mamma2three suggested natural discovery baskets catch their interest- a basket with various large enough not to swallow slate, stone, pumice, shell, pine cone, mirror, clean wooden paint brush and spoon, fabric samples, pretend grass sample, leaves edible flower heads etc... Is one that mine focus for a while on. Emptying and filling again.
    After painting, one of my LO's loves to play in the water I use to wash his hands - before he moves anywhere - a roasting tray with matey and a few shells and a couple of small containers and he wants to stay until his fingers wrinkle - he likes this better than the painting part of the activity!
    Lots of cushions to manoeuvre over is another idea I got from a friend, different surfaces to crawl around and over. She had made her cushion covers with sensory things to touch, but mine just enjoy my normal different textured cushions too.
    When I put the tent up they love going in and out and hiding behind the flap- lots of giggles.

7. Likes mumofone liked this post
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant ideas on here! Will be stealing for some of my younger ones. Thank you. X

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for your ideas. I think maybe I overthink everything as I guess I'm doing lots of these already but not aware that I'm doing them!