New CM..... What is the likelihood of this kind of work........
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New CM..... What is the likelihood of this kind of work........

So im newly registered and im getting a few people interested but its not ideal situations.

My ideal situation is having 2 children under 5 who come to me full time everyday that are dropped off and picked up. The reason being is that I have a daughter already who is 2. I have a corsa and im not within walking distance of schools.

I want to take work but then think if something better comes along I will be kicking myself as I wont be able to give the people i may have at the time notice as im too soft.

My friend tells me theres a lull and then 2 weeks before September its all go. Is that true?

Ive being toying with a 7 seater but its just more expense I need to recoup as I have spent a fair bit becoming a CM.

Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

I think everybody wants full time children but to be honest in 10 years of childminding I've never had a full time enquiry. Most I've had is 4 days.
    I only do full days though, I don't do hourly or part days.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've never had an all day 5 days a week child yet, always been a mix of part timers that slot in term time and again during the holidays.
    Always worked a minimum of 50 hours a week, so it's possible to get full time hours with the right mix of part timers.
    If you wait for a full timer a. You might be waiting a while and b. It's a lot of money or lose in one go if they leave.

Enquiries do tend to go a little crazy towards the end of August due to people coming back of their holidays and realising they've not yet organised childcare from September, but again, probably be more PT enquiries than full ones

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only open 4 days a week and I do find 4-day-a-week children. I do know of 5-day a week mindees, they struggle to find 1 CMer able/willing to take them so you could do well offering this. But usually, our work is made up of a few 2-, 3- and 4-day mindees who jigsaw-together to fill our working week. It is worth holding out for what you want. I had a regular car for years as a CMer, 1 in the front, 2 in the back, no problem.

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

In 11yrs I've never had as full timer 5days either. I've had quite a few 4 days but I would say it's more 2-3 days that people need. I think parents, mostly mothers tend to only work park time or have a day off each week if they can whilst their children are young, they also tend to use a grandparent or family member for a day.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My first children I had in 2001 were full-time siblings, one in school one 2. Since then the closest I have had is 21 hours over 5 days and 4 full days. I was full before Easter and will be full again in September all are part-time, The most is 3 full days or will be part-time hours over 4/5 days. I have also turned down a part-time enquiry yesterday as I am full.

I prefer part-timers as if they leave you have less of an income drop. When I had my full timers I also had similar siblings 4 days a week - one mum was made redundant and they other decided not to work and they both handed notice in on the same month so I went from fantastic income to none.

Good luck x

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My 5 eyfs children are all part timers. In fact I think this will definitely be the norm when the 30 hours funding comes in. yes it is good in case one leaves but it is a lot of paperwork, contracts, invoices etc. But at least it's work and I'm enjoying their company.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the 9yrs I've had 3 full timers (Mon-Fri 50hrs a week) I've also had quite a few 4 dayers (40hrs) and then I have 2 dayers and 1 dayers so a mixed bag.

They are out there but it really depends on your area and I do agree that July/August is my busiest month for enquiries. I've just lost 8 children to either school/mum giving up work/being too old (having a key home-12-13yrs) and I was starting to worry but managed to sign up a 6m old 3 days a week and a 2yr old coming to visit on Monday so happy days.

Plus 4 new schoolies .....I am a glutten for punishment Chance of a quiet life...no chance!
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

last time I minded i started part-time and filled the 2 days i was working, then i extended my hours and filled the other days - it was all a bit 'bitty' and made worse by me being very flexible with shift work, start and finish times and having some for only 4 hours a week. This time I am working 4 days a week and I have advertised full days only. I have 2 children coming 3 days, 1 x 2 days and 1 for 1 day. I have another child that will fill the last 2 days and then have only 1 space left which her sibling might come on so they both come together.

I think if you have a full timer as in 5 days a week it will be harder to fill the space if that child leaves and have a bigger impact on your loss of income so having children that come 2/3/4 days a week may be of benefit. The other draw-back of children coming every day is your own child may be more likely to get more fed up with them - I know if my own son has a friend over to play there is a limit to how much he wants to actually want to play with that child. Even worse what if your child doesn't really get on with the child? might be ok if it was just a day or 2 of having but if it was every day it might be quite hard on your own child.

It is important to get what suits you so make sure you are happy from the start - as you say once you have families start it is harder to make changes without having to give them notice!
    Good luck and best wishes

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all 1 and 2 day children, one went up to 3 but then back to 2 when mum went on maternity leave. I've not had any full time enquiries since starting 2.5 years ago, most I've had is 3 days per week as many try and get family to have the child one or two days a week to save on costs.
    I like lots of part timers, within about 6 months I was full, I had one that could be flexible so swapped her days to accommodate others, almost all of them have increased their days or recommended me to someone else that I've taken on, every day is a bit different and if someone leaves it doesn't cripple you financially, it's a small drop that usually doesn't take too long to fill as I get part time enquiries.