Funded 2 year old query - urgent response required please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Funded 2 year old query - urgent response required please

I have an enquiry for a funded 2 year old Sept start, trouble is mum doesn't have transport and will require me to pick the child up and to drop off. Now this isn't a problem usually, as I charge my hourly rate for non funded children pick-ups etc., BUT this child's family are on a low income and are entitled to the 15 hours FREE education. So can I feasibly add in my travelling time approximately 15 minutes either way and include that within the child's FREE entitlement or do I have to do this at a personal financial loss. Mum can't afford to pay extra, but at the same time even if I am travelling I am still 'working' and deserve to be paid for the time.

Does anyone have any experience of claiming from their LA 'pick-up' and 'drop-off' time please? Is this included within the child's FREE hours?

x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to speak directly to your LA as they are the only ones who can answer this. Every LA is different and they can make all kinds of allowances for special circumstances.

July 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in this situation for the summer term whilst a child was awaiting a space in the LA nursery. I spoke to the lady who over looks the childminder in my region and she said to pick the child up at 9 (I was meeting mum at school when dropping an older sibling off) then drop back off at home at 12. She said that the extra 10 mins per day was 50 mins a week that I wouldn't be paid for so to do it within the 15 hours. Mum was fine with this and it worked well x

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree speak to your LA, but also consider where you would stand if you were unable to collect or drop off - car broken down for example, or bad weather
    If it's 'your fault' child can't attend then it's you that loses out, either on paid fees or by having to offer alternative hours.

It's for this reason I make it clear it's parents responsibility to get the child to me and pick up promptly.
    That's not to say I haven't offered to do either, but it's done as a one off favour rather than made part of our contract

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If I did this the travelling time to collect child would come out of their funding hours if I was making a special journey. Is there no one offering 2 hr funding within walking distance for this family? I know this will sound like a sweeping statement but sometimes families entitled to funding to expect everyone to be at their beck and call and expect a lot as they "are entitled".

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it, but then I can be quite brutal at times. It is the parents responsibility to get their child to childcare. Could mum look for childcare closer to her home? Also, if you say you can't offer that part of the service, it is amazing how some parents suddenly find a way to do it after all.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstainding
    Post Thanks / Like

You're probably sorted by now - but our LA does have a clause within 2yo funding to cover pick ups and does allow this time to form part of the hours.
    Making the leap & returning to childminding - it's what I know & love

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicaukids View Post
    You're probably sorted by now - but our LA does have a clause within 2yo funding to cover pick ups and does allow this time to form part of the hours.
    Sorry to be naïve, does this mean that if you spent an hour each day picking them up and dropping them off, would they then only be able to be with you for fourteen and a half hours, but you still get paid for 15 (because you are actually working for 15)?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to pick up and drop off a funded child by arrangement with LA and they worked out what the mileage was and how much they would need to pay me, they then took this amount off the funding available and child had fewer hours per week. I then included my travelling time in the funded hours. Luckily it was only for 1 day, school hours, as the mileage took alot of the funding! (Also just one term) I wouldn't have done it, except it was whilst 2yr old funding was still being piloted and they were working out how it would work in a rural area with the childminder collecting/returning! The decision was that it wouldn't!
    It was understood by mum and LA that if I couldn't collect/return for any reason that it was mums responsibility to get child to me but equally, I wouldn't receive mileage that session.

It was very tying having to collect and return and not brilliant for other mindees (although I did discuss it with them before I agreed and it was decided that as only for 1 day a week for 1 term and a 'good cause' it would be ok)

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I used to pick up and drop off a funded child by arrangement with LA and they worked out what the mileage was and how much they would need to pay me, they then took this amount off the funding available and child had fewer hours per week. I then included my travelling time in the funded hours. Luckily it was only for 1 day, school hours, as the mileage took alot of the funding! (Also just one term) I wouldn't have done it, except it was whilst 2yr old funding was still being piloted and they were working out how it would work in a rural area with the childminder collecting/returning! The decision was that it wouldn't!
    It was understood by mum and LA that if I couldn't collect/return for any reason that it was mums responsibility to get child to me but equally, I wouldn't receive mileage that session.

It was very tying having to collect and return and not brilliant for other mindees (although I did discuss it with them before I agreed and it was decided that as only for 1 day a week for 1 term and a 'good cause' it would be ok)
    Yes, I've done it a few times over the years as one offs. The parents have always been very accommodating and were always ready and waiting for me to arrive (usually it was me requesting it if I had a meeting at DDs school or something) and it is a pain. I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.