Heatwave next week
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Heatwave next week

Will you be taking the kids out or staying in? I get so worried in the high temps that I err on keeping them inside...

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Early mornings we are out, keep to the shade as the day goes on and all in for naps anyway after lunch.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

We go out earlier than normal to parks etc as air still cooler, then have a big gazebo out in garden although it's often too hot even under that at hottest time of day as our garden doesn't get any shade until about 4pm, at which point they're all outside in the paddling pool or sprinkler :-)

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Early mornings we are out, keep to the shade as the day goes on and all in for naps anyway after lunch.
    I do this.

But I'm very excited at thinking about all the washing I can catch up with! I feel I'm a 'great' mummy when I've got a big line of washing out on a sunny day.

5. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, I love that I can wash everything and it all be dry by lunchtime...was gutted to have to hang things on my heated airer earlier in the week as it has got drenched 3 times on the washing line in the downpours!
    I hope this is the beginning of summer, especially as it's my 4 year olds bouncy castle party in our garden next Saturday...!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a washing line as an adult! I love having my washing drying inside as I love the smell of the detergent! Plus, I have lived in flats for the past sixteen years.

I'm lucky with my garden as there are so many trees around it that there is always plenty of shade and so we just move all of the toys from one side of the garden to another so that the children can play in the shade. I'm not really a sun lover (except when I'm abroad with a pool and sun lounger) and so I always cross the road from one side to another so that I can walk in the shade. My mindees used to always comment on this and there was only one poor mindee who loved the sun and so I could tell that he felt badly done to, bless him. We would walk in the sun for a little while to get some vitamin D (not sure how long it takes to get your daily quota) but then we would stick to the shade. The woods are nice places to go to when really sunny as they are usually cool and shady.

We usually make smoothies or fresh juices on really hot days because even though all mine have loved drinking water, I like to give them a big cool drink after outdoor play that I know they will all finish rather quickly, whereas with water they all tend to sip on it continuously throughout the day.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I read somewhere that it is about 10mins daily in sunshine to get your vitamin D quota. (may be wrong - it has happened before.)

I love taking little teasets outdoors in the really warm weather. The children pour, drink, pour continuously. Very good for hand to eye, independence and keeping hydrated.

9. Likes Maza, loocyloo, SYLVIA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do they have any rules at schools and nurseries and pre schools in a heatwave?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Different schools will have different rules I am sure?

Personally I also go out in the morning and stay either inside or under our covered area between lunch and school pick up. After this we have an hour outside before tea time and I will get out water play.

In the summer holidays I will get out a gazebo too so there is more shade. I'm fully in the sun for the majority of the day here.

I freeze frubes for snack and give ice poles for the older kids. Fresh water all the time. Sun cream applied before they come and then reapplied after lunch. Everyone has a legionnaire style hat.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

WP_20160718_16_13_10_Pro.jpg
    this is how we spent the afternoon

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    WP_20160718_16_13_10_Pro.jpg
    this is how we spent the afternoon
    Fantastic! Lucky children. So much nicer than being stuck in a nursery all afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm Going to stay in completely today, due to be 32 degrees! Argh!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Kids been here since 7. Have been outside since they got here. Not have the pool out n all children sitting in it to get cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh I changed my mind, we've been out too, but are back in as think they were wilting already!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got an 11 month old and a 21 month old here today. We went out into the garden just after 8am. We came in just before 10 and they were both fast asleep within minutes. I'd kept the curtains closed and the fan on in the room they sleep in, so it's lovely and cool in there for them.

They should both sleep until lunchtime, then we'll go out in short bursts throughout the afternoon.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Out first thing - had breakfast outside.
    We put up our family camping tent today - all of my garden then became shade and the novelty was attractive - we made it in to a garden centre where we planted up salad bowls, with a cafe where we ate....came in in the last hour of the morning to smash the raspberries we picked and made icing for the cakes DH had made. We re made the ice blocks with hidden toys for tomorrow and popped them in the garage freezer then back out for lunch in the cafe, rest time in the tent - all 3 slept and I had to wake them up....meanwhile D H and I enjoyed reading in the shade ...a lovely day for both children and us!

Post Thanks / Like

It was 32 degrees here today, not sure what it was where you all are but well done for surviving it better than me by the sounds of it!!

20. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes up to 32 here, 3 school runs where I walked and little ones were shaded in the big buggy, I've got a lovely shoulder and arm tan, not such a great flip flop mark on my feet though!
    We had our usual singing class this morning, then after lunch and naps my sons nursery leaving picnic in their garden which was thankfully lovely and shaded with a breeze, then home to our sun trap garden which was unbearable but a tiny bit of shade with sprinkler going and paddling pool out kept everyone cool and happy for the rest of the afternoon!
    I'm still boiling now, tomorrow was meant to be cooler but is saying 29 again so not going to be much cooler! We're going to go strawberry picking as it has a shady playground, ice cream cafe and massive sail shade thing for picnics :-)
    Felt unbearable this heat and hard work pushing buggy back and forth in the baking heat but I much prefer it to the torrential and continuous rain of last week!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I've got an 11 month old and a 21 month old here today. We went out into the garden just after 8am. We came in just before 10 and they were both fast asleep within minutes. I'd kept the curtains closed and the fan on in the room they sleep in, so it's lovely and cool in there for them. They should both sleep until lunchtime, then we'll go out in short bursts throughout the afternoon.
    Just out of interest mouse, what do your 11 month and 21 month old get up to in the garden?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We paddled in a river this morning - it was fantastic. We caught leaves that went passed us in the current, plopped stones in and guessed the height of the splashes, filled containers in a little waterfall and laughed every single time a vehicle drove through the ford part. And it was so cool on my ankles and feet - bliss. We had a picnic in the shade and then stayed inside between 1-5:30 other than school run in the car.

24. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast