Need advice before child arrives at 10am!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice before child arrives at 10am!!

Hi all,

So need a bit of advice. Parent has txt saying she is going to be late and that she will pay two hours less next week. However that's not my policy. If your absent you still pay and I feel they if I let her off she will carry on other times and it will open a can of worms as I've done it once.

Any ideas on how to approach this? How do I say it nicely??!! Don't want to sound funny as she is a new parent

Thanks to everyone reading and replies

Xxx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always explain that its like renting a house just because your not there does not mean u can stop paying rent.

As for saying it nicely i often think when it comes to money its better just to say it bluntly and in straight facts.

3. Likes loocyloo, Laurasymons liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would quickly text back a reply ( as I hate talking money on the doorstep!) that full fees are payable as per contract for contracted hours.
    good luck x

I have one mum that used to pay weekly but has seemingly swapped to paying monthly, but pays me on the first day of the month that I have child, not first of month as in contract! this month, she paid most of it last week, and will pay the rest this week ! I really ought to say something, but have let it go, so now I'm stuck with it! I know mum will pay, and never quibbles over fees but I think because I said she could pay weekly, she has forgotten that monthly fees are due at start of month!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by **Orchard CM** View Post
    Hi all, So need a bit of advice. Parent has txt saying she is going to be late and that she will pay two hours less next week. However that's not my policy. If your absent you still pay and I feel they if I let her off she will carry on other times and it will open a can of worms as I've done it once. Any ideas on how to approach this? How do I say it nicely??!! Don't want to sound funny as she is a new parent Thanks to everyone reading and replies Xxx
    Oh my god, what a nerve!!! I agree with loocyloo :-) good luck x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi XXX, Regards hours next week can't push them over as they are contracted xx

-- I've just txt that. Short and sweet? Do you think that's good?

This is a parent that came from a day nursery - a full time space so I know it's not a money thing!!!!

Xxxxxxx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately contracted hours are not interchangeable and full fees are due as per our contract

8. Likes mama2three, rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a parent who sometimes says "oh X won't be coming on Friday but don't worry we'll pay you anyway" as if they are doing me a favour!!! I'm like err you have to anyway!!

10. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I have a parent who sometimes says "oh X won't be coming on Friday but don't worry we'll pay you anyway" as if they are doing me a favour!!! I'm like err you have to anyway!!
    I've got one like that!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

So need a bit of advice. Parent has txt saying she is going to be late and that she will pay two hours less next week. However that's not my policy. If your absent you still pay and I feel they if I let her off she will carry on other times and it will open a can of worms as I've done it once.

Any ideas on how to approach this? How do I say it nicely??!! Don't want to sound funny as she is a new parent

Thanks to everyone reading and replies

Xxx
    As she is a new parent it needs addressing quickly or she'll not realise that isn't how it works and will expect the same to happen each time.

I had a parent message me last week saying she'd let me know which days they'd need me over the summer. I said that's fine, obviously all contracted days need to be paid for anyway. She then decided lo would be coming every day as normal! She's been coming here for 4 years so knows how it works, but tries it on every holiday.

I hope you got it sorted x

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Yep ,I've got one of these also.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At least you've realised you have to nip it in the bud quickly. Bless them, they do keep trying!

So how did it go when she dropped the lo off?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hope you got it sorted amicably.
    I think the dread of responding to money issues is always worse than the actual reality.
    On a more positive note about parents and payment : Last month I had had a LO an extra morning as nanny had to talk to the minister about grandad's funeral. I didn't charge for this, I felt I was helping the family out ( nanny and I share the childcare). Parents text to say I hadn't charged when they received the invoice. I replied it was ok, they paid extra anyway.
    There are a lot of nice, fair parents, when it comes to financial issues out there too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    There are a lot of nice, fair parents, when it comes to financial issues out there too.
    Definitely!

I've often had children extra, with no intention of charging, but parents nearly always want to pay something. If I refuse they still turn up with flowers or wine as a thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

She never mentioned it in a reply or when she turned up!! I don't mind swapping days (if I've got space) but as long as it's the same contracted hours or more. If I hadn't of said something though I imagined her saying 'I'll come at 10 today instead of 8' and expecting a cheaper bill every week or something. If she had an extra day I would just charge the hours but contracted are different.

She also tried it on saying that whilst she is on holiday she can't pay and nursery didn't do that - yeah right!!! I let her off as it was pre booked before he started but made her very aware that holidays are payable.

Deffo need to nip these things in the bud!!

Xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

Arrrggghhh, now got the parent saying she wants to pay for two days next week but she's contracted for three.

In her previous day nursery she wouldn't have been able to do this, why do parents expect us to do it?

Putting my foot down with a firm hand!!!!

Xxxxxxx

19. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you give them the option of booking and paying for fixed days, or becoming an ad hoc parent paying a higher hourly rate with no guaranteed space explaining they run the risk of having no care available if you fill the vacancy with a fixed place?

Post Thanks / Like

Well she said she needs three days and has been doing them for the past few weeks. Her contract is full time and I'm kind of wanting to stick by that as she keeps messing me around. With demanding she doesn't pay whilst she's on holiday, wanting to take hours to the next week and now this.

I've actually rang the old nursery she went to - pretended to be a interested parent! And asked all these questions. Nursery confirmed that parents pay for holidays and hours they are contracted for. I get the feeling she is trying to push the boundaries to see what she can get away with???

Xxxxx

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well she said she needs three days and has been doing them for the past few weeks. Her contract is full time and I'm kind of wanting to stick by that as she keeps messing me around. With demanding she doesn't pay whilst she's on holiday, wanting to take hours to the next week and now this.

I've actually rang the old nursery she went to - pretended to be a interested parent! And asked all these questions. Nursery confirmed that parents pay for holidays and hours they are contracted for. I get the feeling she is trying to push the boundaries to see what she can get away with???

Xxxxx
    She's very persistent. Stick with it or there will be constant trouble.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think I'd be tempted to call her in for a meeting, sit her down with your fees policy, and go through it with her, then say, these are my terms which you agreed to, if they no longer suit you then you are free to leave with the required notice, however, if you decide to stay, please don't embarrass yourself, or insult me, by attempting to dictate or change our agreement or I will be forced to issue immediate notice.

24. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    I think I'd be tempted to call her in for a meeting, sit her down with your fees policy, and go through it with her, then say, these are my terms which you agreed to, if they no longer suit you then you are free to leave with the required notice, however, if you decide to stay, please don't embarrass yourself, or insult me, by attempting to dictate or change our agreement or I will be forced to issue immediate notice.
    I agree with this completely. When I very first see parents I tell them that I am very strict on the business side of things. I tell them that if we all know where we stand, there's no need for questioning fees etc and we can get on with the important bit - making sure the children are having fun!

I tell them that's it's very straight forward. If I am open and available to work, they pay. If I'm closed and unavailable, they don't pay. It really can't get any easier than that. I then explain that they pay for the contracted hours to be available to them, not for the hours I actually work. I then run through some scenarios - you arrive late in the morning or collect early at night, there's no reduction in fee or hours owed to you as the contracted hours were available and that's what you pay for. Your child is ill, you pay. I'm ill, you don't pay. Your child is on holiday, you pay. I'm on holiday, you don't pay. I ask if you can collect your child an hour early one day, I deduct money from the bill. You say you need to collect an hour early, you still pay as the space is available.

I would spell it out very clearly to your parent and put it in writing. Give her the option of accepting your conditions, or giving notice as per the terms in your contract.

If she keeps saying she did things a different way at nursery, I would suggest (in a pleasant way) that she may be better going back there

26. Likes Lal, Kiddleywinks liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast