Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning journal from preschool

Do preschool have to produce a folder for children. I have a child leaving a preschool as parent not happy with the school. They have asked for her folder only to be told there isn't one

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No, as you can see in the EYFS, learning journals, scrap books or folders are not even mentioned. They are not statutory.
    But a pre-school should have records to show the children have made progress, they should have the statutory 2-yr Check (if there between 24-36mths). It is unusual for a pre-school to have no records at all, it could be done on-line though, many are now so no physical 'folder' to give. The pre-school maybe being a bit protective if they know this is a disgruntled parent and not wanting to give their records away; they might not have made any records ()how long has the child been there?); they might wrongly think they need to keep the records for a future Ofsted inspection... Maybe the parent can ask more specifically for any 'photos', 'observations', 'reports', or 'the 2-yr check' (depending on age)... or ask for a transition report for the new setting?

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I thought. She has asked and there is nothing or so she was told. The parent hasn't been happy with a few issues at the preschool and said she was going to complain to ofsted that they hadn't done a folder. Apparently the school said that as I do one they didn't but the child is actually has more hours there than here although I do have a folder which the patent has seen and is happy with
    They do have folders as other children ice had from there had them but there's never much in them
    Last edited by SYLVIA; 07-07-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The mum can complain to Ofsted but as long as the Pre School has done 2 Year Checks then Ofsted are unlikely to do anything because there is no other written Developmental paperwork that is required.

I don't do anything other than the 2 year check.

I know exactly where my children are and their Next Steps. I take lots of photo evidence and put them in a scrap book but that is it and Ofsted were fine when I was inspected under the CIF last September.

I have done this because I don't see the point in doing reams of paperwork. I enjoy the company of the children and playing with them and enjoying their company and actually watching them grow and develop rather than spending unnecessary hours writing about it.

6. Likes gef918 liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think she would have much to complain about. Just hope it doesn't create a bad vib as I still have to take children there next term. Thanks everyone for confirming what I thought

8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post