Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Alternate day

Registered Childminder since
    Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternate day

If a parent asks for 4 days childcare one week and 3 days the next then would you charge anything to keep that fourth day open or not?

Had an enquiry and i'm not sure whether to say i would have to charge half fee for that fourth day regardless of it being every other week that you need it because i still have to keep the space open for your daughter, or whether i just charge for 4 days one week and 3 days the next?

Thanks in advance

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a child who did three days one week and two days the next week, then back to three etc. To be honest, it meant that I was guaranteed to keep him until he started school because no nursery would accept that pattern without charging the family for three days each week. So it worked for me because it protected my income for the next few years.

I think that if you try to charge them for when they are not there they may look elsewhere, and if they did stay with you it might not be great for your relationship. x

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Maza. It did pop into my little mind that i guess a nursery would charge full fee for that day that wasn't needed one week and we have it going in our favour that we don't charge or charge half if we think we can

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lo that does 3 days one week, two the next, and so on...
    I charge a 50% retainer for the unused day as they need the day guaranteed. I made the mistake of agreeing to hold a place for a little one whose parents were shift workers, and not charging a retainer. I lived to regret it and will never do it again, as that too can cause bad feeling over time.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it would all depend on how 'busy' I want to be. Sometimes I am quite glad for a 'quiet' day once a week/fortnight. Sometimes I want to maximize my income and wouldn't want to take this on at all. No right or wrong, just what suits you and your business and family.