Is this normal?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Is this normal?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Is this normal?

    I look after a 2 yr old who is with me three times a week full days but never poos, I can count on one hand the amount of soiled Nappies I've done. This seems very odd to me especially as all other mindees are nice and regular! Their diet seems quite limited which I've tried to work on to no avail, any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    338
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know some older children don't like 'going' while in school and can train their bodies to wait until they are home but 2 is a bit young for that. Also as mindee is still in nappies it does seem a bit strange. My little ones who are now just toilet trained and are not in nappies don't tend to go as much ( not here anyway) so are learning to control things. Have you spoken to mum to see what happens on the days mindee is not with you? Hopefully someone will post on here something more useful!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris goodyear View Post
    I know some older children don't like 'going' while in school and can train their bodies to wait until they are home but 2 is a bit young for that. Also as mindee is still in nappies it does seem a bit strange. My little ones who are now just toilet trained and are not in nappies don't tend to go as much ( not here anyway) so are learning to control things. Have you spoken to mum to see what happens on the days mindee is not with you? Hopefully someone will post on here something more useful!
    Thanks Chris that's what I thought. I'd expect it in an older child but like you say two seems very young to know what they are doing

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know how many bowel movements a day is normal for a child this age either...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    179
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It could be that he poos once a day at roughly the same time. My DD at the same age would usually poo about half an hour after dinner every day. I'd says it's normal to only do one poo a day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    2,921
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He could be an evening poo-er Could do it between 5-6pm and bedtime, some kids seem to be more regular, like clockwork than others. Check with Mum
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,329
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've had children like that. Just check with mum that he is regular, and if he is, count your blessings.

  8. Likes FloraDora liked this post
  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I've had children like that. Just check with mum that he is regular, and if he is, count your blessings.
    Lol yeh I'm not complaining, amazing for me!! :-)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    1,049
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He could be saving it for his parents, especially bath time.

  11. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,125
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My just 2 yr old mindee hardly ever poos with me , shes been coming around a year and I think I could count the number of soiled nappies on one hand. Apparently she poos early each morning before she comes. Some people are just more 'regular' .

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    675
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My little boy 'goes' every morning within half an hour of waking up. Ask parents if you're worried. Bet this LO is the same
    Blondes have more fun!

  14. Likes FloraDora liked this post
  15. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,031
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Doesn't matter when or how many times my 18month grandson has been, he always poos when he comes to my house- at least once!!! Maybe I'm scary and just have that affect on him

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,573
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They can be so different with their bowl habits so if this is normal for him then it's normal. I'd double check with mum if he usually goes in the morning/ evening. My dd was on medication for constipation when she was younger and the doctor told me to try to train her to "go" in the morning every morning. Ds on the other hand goes without fail at bed time every day - I'm sure he does it deliberately lol!

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So update on this...child not going at home either, is clearly constipated or holding it in in my opinion, am doing everything my end as far as I feel...lots of fluid, veg and fruit all wholemeal stuff etc but still not going. I feel like mums blaming me for this, I wonder if child needs to see doctor for medicine as I know constipation can be a big issue in young children. Any advice? X

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    They can be so different with their bowl habits so if this is normal for him then it's normal. I'd double check with mum if he usually goes in the morning/ evening. My dd was on medication for constipation when she was younger and the doctor told me to try to train her to "go" in the morning every morning. Ds on the other hand goes without fail at bed time every day - I'm sure he does it deliberately lol!
    How old was your DD at the time Samb?

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    Doesn't matter when or how many times my 18month grandson has been, he always poos when he comes to my house- at least once!!! Maybe I'm scary and just have that affect on him
    Haha lol, if my DS is anything to go by I must be super scary then!

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,893
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    So update on this...child not going at home either, is clearly constipated or holding it in in my opinion, am doing everything my end as far as I feel...lots of fluid, veg and fruit all wholemeal stuff etc but still not going. I feel like mums blaming me for this, I wonder if child needs to see doctor for medicine as I know constipation can be a big issue in young children. Any advice? X
    orange juice is great for loosening things up.

    I have a LO who is on medication for constipation, it works well for her, and just keeps her 'soft' !!!!

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    orange juice is great for loosening things up. I have a LO who is on medication for constipation, it works well for her, and just keeps her 'soft' !!!!
    How old are they loocyloo?

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,893
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post

    How old are they loocyloo?
    Just 2. Been on medication since about 20months.

  23. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,573
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My daughter started having issues with constipation just before she turned 2, had lactulose first and then went on to movicol between ages 2-5. By the end she only had third of a sachet every other day so basically 1 sachet a week- they have to get the dose right and slowly wean off. She's been fine since. She's 11 now. Her diet when under 4 years old was varied and no problems and she drank loads of water too. Her diet now is terrible - monotonous and although includes all food groups she is now incredibly fussy and controlling with food (she has ASD). I found it incredibly difficult at first as people would judge me and say I must be giving her a bad diet which I certainly wasn't. I used to make fab chocolate and prune muffins which were her only treat type food to try and help her "go". Wish I knew where I got the recipe actually cos they were lovely!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Is this normal? Is this normal? Is this normal?

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk