First day nerves :-)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First day nerves :-)

Ok, so I've a couple more days of normality, then I start looking after my first little one. This sounds utterly ridiculous, but after looking forward to it for so long, I actually feel a bit unsure of what to do...! The contracts are signed, I have nappies, wipes etc so all the practicalities are sorted, I'll assess him when I've had him for a week or so ... But what on earth will I plan to do on the first day? We'll be straight off on the school run, then I know he likes a sleep - but should I then keep him busy out and about as a distraction (he's very clingy with mum so there'll be tears), or stay home for him to get used to it .... He's 11 months...

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck! The first day is a bit daunting! I had two 11 month olds start recently. The first one settled really well and so was happy to stay at home exploring and napping easily. The second one was really tearful and didn't want to settle for his nap so we ended up going out. I think you will need to be guided by the child. I gave both children lots of cuddles and reassurance and the child that took longer to settle is now happy to explore.

3. Likes White Rose liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice about following the baby's lead but you may find that you need to get out of the house so a walk won't do any harm. Best of luck.

5. Likes White Rose liked this post
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. As said previously, follow the baby's lead. If you do go out, make sure it's just you and the baby, ie no busy playgroups. You need to help him recognise you as his main carer.

Also, don't be afraid to call his parent/s during the day to get advice on how to help him settle. I also found it helpful to call another minder for advice as issues arose through the first week.

7. Likes White Rose liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Relax and enjoy! Childminding is a huge responsibility yes - but it's also great fun

9. Likes White Rose liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was so nervous too!

As someone else said, don't do any playgroups for at least the first week - too many unfamiliar places and faces will be overwhelming. A nice walk out in the buggy or playing in your garden will be a healthy distraction though. I also wouldn't have out too many toys. Don't plan anything adventurous because you might not get it done if he is clingy and needs lots of cuddles.

Do you know what type of thing he likes to play with at home? A little bit of soothing background noise sometimes helps too.

Let us know how you get on! x

11. Likes White Rose liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I still get nervous now when I have a new starter, so it's perfectly natural to have a bit of a wobble before your very first child starts.

11 months can be a tricky age with some children when they realise that they're being left with someone new. There may be lots of tears, but they may surprise you and settle easily.

I wouldn't plan anything specific for the first few days. It's all about you getting to know each other. Don't think you have to rush straight into doing crafts and setting up extravagant activities. Keep it simple - a few toys, preferable a mix of different toys so you can see what they are naturally drawn to. I have a box of random toys. It might look like a lot of nothing much but it's really useful to observe the children playing and see what they choose and what they leave. It's got things like a few duplo blocks, some building blocks, some Happyland, part of a tea set, some small balls, a couple of musical instruments etc. If a child shows a particular interest in something they find in the box I will get out more of that toy.

With a baby I would also spend as much time as possible sitting opposite them so they can see me clearly and learn what I look like! I use a parent facing pushchair so they can see me while we're out walking and indoors I sit on the floor opposite them to play.

Good luck and do let us know how it goes

13. Likes White Rose liked this post
    Jan 16
    Post Thanks / Like

That's all really helpful, thank you - I needed some practical advice :-) I had thought of playgroups as a distraction but will save that for a bit later on and just stay local for the first week.

I think perhaps I feel a bit as though I should be hitting the ground running with my schemas and progress plans and development matters and interesting Pinterest activity plans ... when in reality I simply need to spend the first couple of weeks reminding myself of what one year olds are like and go read back through the stuff we did on the course (not least so I don't look blank and go off into an internal panic about safeguarding when his mum simply asked if I'd Whatsapp her a couple of photos!).

Are there any sling using childminders? I used a sling with both my own children and this little boy likes them, but I've discovered he's been used to a baby bjorn one used front-facing. I'm wondering if I'll hit snags if I try to face him in or back-carry - I'm not ever so keen on front-facing ... Argh! Actually, I think that's just shown me the root of the problem - I need to figure out which bits I'm in charge of and which bits I follow the same path as his home! How do you decide that, then?

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever do your website whiterose? How did it go?
    You'll be great, think positive :-) x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Rose View Post

Are there any sling using childminders? I used a sling with both my own children and this little boy likes them, but I've discovered he's been used to a baby bjorn one used front-facing. I'm wondering if I'll hit snags if I try to face him in or back-carry - I'm not ever so keen on front-facing ... Argh! Actually, I think that's just shown me the root of the problem - I need to figure out which bits I'm in charge of and which bits I follow the same path as his home! How do you decide that, then?
    For slings- I just try them out and see what works for us. Wear round the house for a bit and see. I get permission from parents for me to use my slings. I go with what works for me as well as baby as the sling needs to suit me as much as it does baby. Don't worry too much about what baby has used before with parents- you are a different carer and will have a different baby-wearing-relationship together.