Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Family's Children

Hi I have been asked to look after my niece's three year old twins three days a week. Do I need to do contracts and permission forms etc as I already know emergency contacts, doctors etc. Also do I need to do learning journey's with them as they are family and have one at nursery anyway. Seems a lot of work for two kids I've known from birth and see regularly.

Thanks

Elaine xx

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to be childminding them/ they are paying for your services then yes you need all of paperwork to comply with regulations. However learning journals are not a requirement, the requirement is for you to know all the information which you put in it, it's up to you how you prove that and a learning journal is usually the best way to do this!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elaineg View Post
    Hi I have been asked to look after my niece's three year old twins three days a week. Do I need to do contracts and permission forms etc as I already know emergency contacts, doctors etc. Also do I need to do learning journey's with them as they are family and have one at nursery anyway. Seems a lot of work for two kids I've known from birth and see regularly.

Thanks

Elaine xx
    I used to mind my nephew and at my inspection the ofsted inspector said she didn't want to see any of his paperwork as he was family. Contracts are not an ofsted requirement.
    I would still get all the permission slips signed - just so you know you are both singing from the same hymn sheet.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Elaine, it did seem strange but I treated my great-niece like any of my minded children and did contracts, policies, kept a diary/observations as she was included in my numbers.

I'm glad I did.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elaineg View Post

Thanks

Elaine xx
    I would discuss with the family and treat them exactly as others...do all the required paperwork and documentation as evidence of your registered setting and EYFS legislation.
    LJs are not compulsory but we need to observe and record progress in any format we like...some do it online ...others develop their own method.
    we also need to do a 2 year old check...that is statutory....again check with your LA as there are changes coming due to the integrated review.

I am not sure about your niece's twins but I think you will not be able to claim for funding ...check with your EY team in your LA.

We also need to keep in our minds that Cms are being discriminated against when they are not allowed to draw funding for relatives....while nursery staff can claim for their children who attend the settings they work at.

Good luck!