Sustained shared thinking
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Sustained shared thinking

    Is anyone aware that they follow this and how does it manifest itself in your setting? What ages is this best for, surely it can't be used with babies -or am I missing something?!
    Sorry, not very lighthearted for a Friday!! :-)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,738
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It is discusses in detail here: http://www.norland.co.uk/uploads/Ann..._June_2014.pdf

    It is not something I have studied but I am aware of the subject, so I can not give a very intellectual answer, just my own thoughts. I think SST develops as the child develops language to be able to discuss ideas and the ability to engage for longer periods of time. But it has its roots in allowing time, listening, taking time to let the children work things out, open ended questioning, respecting the child's ideas and views- and all these things can be applied to babies. If you generally think this way then it comes naturally whatever age you are working with.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    1,032
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    It is discusses in detail here: http://www.norland.co.uk/uploads/Ann..._June_2014.pdf

    It is not something I have studied but I am aware of the subject, so I can not give a very intellectual answer, just my own thoughts. I think SST develops as the child develops language to be able to discuss ideas and the ability to engage for longer periods of time. But it has its roots in allowing time, listening, taking time to let the children work things out, open ended questioning, respecting the child's ideas and views- and all these things can be applied to babies. If you generally think this way then it comes naturally whatever age you are working with.
    Moggy how you have explained it seems to sum up my recent inspection.

  4. Likes moggy liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've never heard of it, hope they don't ask on my inspection as they'll get a very blank look :-/

  6. Likes bunyip liked this post
  7. #5
    Simona Guest

    Default

    For SST see EPPE project 2004...has been part of the EYFS since 2008 and now under CoEL...critical thinking etc etc.

    [ARCHIVED CONTENT] EPPE Final Report 1997-2004 - Every Child Matters

    For those who know Kathy Brodie
    look up her blogs and recent work which is about SST

    Sustained Shared Thinking - How Important is It?

  8. #6
    Simona Guest

    Default

    For those interested ...more links here

    http://samples.sainsburysebooks.co.u...ple_602852.pdf

    Also here for those who use Development Matters

    http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/fi...NT-AMENDED.pdf

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,987
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    I've never heard of it, hope they don't ask on my inspection as they'll get a very blank look :-/
    Ah, now I can come out and confess I never heard of SST too.

    It's probably just another of those things children have been quietly doing since we all began walking upright, but it needed a name so some 'expert' could write a smug treatise on it for their latest book.

    It's not even a good acronym.


    Btw, any time an inspector asks about this sort of thing, the correct response is to frown and say, "yes, I understand all that, but don't you find it's all relative to the child's developmental progress, taking account their family's socio-economic position?"

    (Yes, I know it's utterly meaningless, but it should put Mrs O on the back foot for long enough to change the subject to your garden-full of lovely windmills.)

  10. Likes moggy, gef918, Dragonfly, Goatgirl liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,102
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Ah, now I can come out and confess I never heard of SST too.

    It's probably just another of those things children have been quietly doing since we all began walking upright, but it needed a name so some 'expert' could write a smug treatise on it for their latest book.

    It's not even a good acronym.


    Btw, any time an inspector asks about this sort of thing, the correct response is to frown and say, "yes, I understand all that, but don't you find it's all relative to the child's developmental progress, taking account their family's socio-economic position?"

    (Yes, I know it's utterly meaningless, but it should put Mrs O on the back foot for long enough to change the subject to your garden-full of lovely windmills.)
    Indeed they have. I think sometimes it is easier to think about what SST is NOT - so, for example "Ok children, today is a festival that you know nothing about and probably still won't after this craft activity, dip your foot into his paint - yes, I know you hate the feel of paint but I have decided that this is what we need to do because I saw it on pinterest, you won't cry for long, and no, you don't get to choose the colour of the paint, now glue on these googly eyes - no, not there, over here, now I would let you cut it out but you won't do it neatly enough, so I'll do it for you, now I'm going to guide your hand with the paintbrush (you can stare out of the window while I do this if you like) and then I'll triple mount it and voila! You've learnt so much today and I can tick another box".

    Slightly exaggerated but it does happen when we focus on end product rather than process.

  12. Likes FloraDora, Lal, moggy, bunyip, BallyH liked this post
  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,987
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Indeed they have. I think sometimes it is easier to think about what SST is NOT - so, for example "Ok children, today is a festival that you know nothing about and probably still won't after this craft activity, dip your foot into his paint - yes, I know you hate the feel of paint but I have decided that this is what we need to do because I saw it on pinterest, you won't cry for long, and no, you don't get to choose the colour of the paint, now glue on these googly eyes - no, not there, over here, now I would let you cut it out but you won't do it neatly enough, so I'll do it for you, now I'm going to guide your hand with the paintbrush (you can stare out of the window while I do this if you like) and then I'll triple mount it and voila! You've learnt so much today and I can tick another box".

    Slightly exaggerated but it does happen when we focus on end product rather than process.
    Excellent!!!!! Simply briliant and brilliantly simple (..............both at the same time.)

    Now I get it.

    See, a CM can explain it simply and, what's more, get on and do it. I suspect there are an awful lot of these things we just get on and do without even realising it. Whereas an 'expert' would complicate it all and pad it out with endless waffle (sufficient to fill another £19.99 title for the 'Education' section of WaterSmiths, say.)

    Challenge for you now, Maza (and anyone else who's equally deserving of a sticker for extreme cleverness) - I need a simple explanation of where a 'schema' ends and where an obsessive-compulsive disorder begins.
    Last edited by bunyip; 24-04-2016 at 04:46 PM. Reason: insufficient hyperbole

  14. Likes Maza liked this post
  15. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Indeed they have. I think sometimes it is easier to think about what SST is NOT - so, for example "Ok children, today is a festival that you know nothing about and probably still won't after this craft activity, dip your foot into his paint - yes, I know you hate the feel of paint but I have decided that this is what we need to do because I saw it on pinterest, you won't cry for long, and no, you don't get to choose the colour of the paint, now glue on these googly eyes - no, not there, over here, now I would let you cut it out but you won't do it neatly enough, so I'll do it for you, now I'm going to guide your hand with the paintbrush (you can stare out of the window while I do this if you like) and then I'll triple mount it and voila! You've learnt so much today and I can tick another box". Slightly exaggerated but it does happen when we focus on end product rather than process.
    Lol maza this is too funny!!! :-)

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    I've never heard of it, hope they don't ask on my inspection as they'll get a very blank look :-/
    Lol yes this is my fear! :-)
    Ive got in my head they're going to quiz me on SST and im gonna go totally to pieces!

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Lol yes this is my fear! :-) Ive got in my head they're going to quiz me on SST and im gonna go totally to pieces!
    I think my inspection may be tomorrow and my brain is complete mush so learning something new is completely out the window!

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,543
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    I think my inspection may be tomorrow and my brain is complete mush so learning something new is completely out the window!
    Good luck and the inspector won't expect you have learnt something anything new. Just carry on as normal and the great things you do will shine through. xx

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,211
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Excellent!!!!! Simply briliant and brilliantly simple (..............both at the same time.) Now I get it. See, a CM can explain it simply and, what's more, get on and do it. I suspect there are an awful lot of these things we just get on and do without even realising it. Whereas an 'expert' would complicate it all and pad it out with endless waffle (sufficient to fill another £19.99 title for the 'Education' section of WaterSmiths, say.) Challenge for you now, Maza (and anyone else who's equally deserving of a sticker for extreme cleverness) - I need a simple explanation of where a 'schema' ends and where an obsessive-compulsive disorder begins.
    1st September after their fourth birthday?!

  20. Likes moggy, Maza, bunyip liked this post
  21. #15
    Simona Guest

    Default

    If you are expecting an inspector to 'question' a provider on SST during an inspection...think again.


    I am sure that the comments here are meant to entertain us and make fun of people ...not sure what an end product has to do with SST but I have learnt something new.

    If you need info on schema Bunyip I think Sarah here has written a very well informed piece on schemas...worth reading in addition to Chris Athey who researched them...

    I can see your 'schema' just reading your posts and comments ...very very well defined and clear trait in your schemas!

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    If you are expecting an inspector to 'question' a provider on SST during an inspection...think again. I am sure that the comments here are meant to entertain us and make fun of people ...not sure what an end product has to do with SST but I have learnt something new. If you need info on schema Bunyip I think Sarah here has written a very well informed piece on schemas...worth reading in addition to Chris Athey who researched them... I can see your 'schema' just reading your posts and comments ...very very well defined and clear trait in your schemas!
    Sorry Simona, are you saying inspectors are unlikely to question us about SST at our inspections? Phew...! X

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,987
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    If you are expecting an inspector to 'question' a provider on SST during an inspection...think again.


    I am sure that the comments here are meant to entertain us and make fun of people ...not sure what an end product has to do with SST but I have learnt something new.

    If you need info on schema Bunyip I think Sarah here has written a very well informed piece on schemas...worth reading in addition to Chris Athey who researched them...

    I can see your 'schema' just reading your posts and comments ...very very well defined and clear trait in your schemas!
    Do you know if the pacey book on schemas is a worthwhile read for a practical overview?

  24. #18
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Sorry Simona, are you saying inspectors are unlikely to question us about SST at our inspections? Phew...! X
    I did not say that Mumofo0ne...look at SST and then you will understand why I said being 'questioned' on SST may need a rethink on your practice.

    I think you subscribe to Kathy Brodie's newsletter now...am I right?...give her a call she will be delighted to help with your question as SST is her latest topic...or you could read EPPE and let us know what you think.

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I did not say that Mumofo0ne...look at SST and then you will understand why I said being 'questioned' on SST may need a rethink on your practice. I think you subscribe to Kathy Brodie's newsletter now...am I right?...give her a call she will be delighted to help with your question as SST is her latest topic...or you could read EPPE and let us know what you think.

    Sorry....you've lost me!!

  26. #20
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Sorry....you've lost me!!
    Give Kathy Brodie a call...she will be more helpful if you need to know about SST.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Sustained shared thinking Sustained shared thinking Sustained shared thinking

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk