New Puppy
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: New Puppy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    2,921
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New Puppy

    I've got conflicting advice about this (as usual )

    We have a new puppy, which I have risk assessed. Do I need to ring Ofsted to tell them?

    I wasn't going to, as I felt a RA was enough but the childminder up the road said that she nearly received a warning because she hadn't notified them. She also said the inspector said that the dog needs to stay out of the way of the children......something which I don't agree with at all because the puppy needs to get used to the children not be kept sepertate
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    72
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We got a new puppy earlier this year. I notified Ofsted ad they replied saying I needed to make sure I had done a risk assessment, notified all parents and adhere to the dangerous dogs act.

    My puppy can be kept separate but I also let the children have contact with her and we take her for walks together.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Following, as I would love a puppy. I would really want the puppy to be part of the family and wouldn't want to separate them for most of the day / week. I have already started researching breeds and would always choose a breed that is typically good with families.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Teetering....
    Posts
    4,079
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I have a puppy (& 2 other dogs & 4 cats) - not Ofsted but CSSIW. My animals all intermingle with the children. The puppy has a crate where he can go if he gets too boisterous. This week I have also put a stairgate on the playroom door because he keeps running in and pinching toys to chew (most of the time what the children are actually playing with!). He also likes to steal toilet rolls (wants to be an andrex puppy) and has started pulling the wallpaper off in the lobby (He's right it has needed redecorating for a long time!) I've risk assessed, have a pet policy, I had to let CSSIW know by changing my Statement od Purpose (have to send it to them every time anything changes) all the parents are happy and have all signed that they are happy for the children to have contact with the animals.

    This is Bumble when we first got him and now 6 weeks later. He is a rescue cocker spaniel cross (he was seized by the RSPCA before he was 6 weeks with Mum and siblings )

    WP_20160301_21_36_27_Pro.jpg WP_20160413_19_11_03_Pro.jpg
    Last edited by tulip0803; 19-04-2016 at 10:10 PM.

  5. Likes ajc, AliceK liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    72
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    I have a puppy (& 2 other dogs & 4 cats) - not Ofsted but CSSIW. My animals all intermingle with the children. The puppy has a crate where he can go if he gets too boisterous. This week I have also put a stairgate on the playroom door because he keeps running in and pinching toys to chew (most of the time what the children are actually playing with!). He also likes to steal toilet rolls (wants to be an andrex puppy) and has started pulling the wallpaper off in the lobby (He's right it has needed redecorating for a long time!) I've risk assessed, have a pet policy, I had to let CSSIW know by changing my Statement od Purpose (have to send it to them every time anything changes) all the parents are happy and have all signed that they are happy for the children to have contact with the animals.

    This is Bumble when we first got him and now 6 weeks later. He is a rescue cocker spaniel cross (he was seized by the RSPCA before he was 6 weeks with Mum and siblings )

    <img src="http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8862"/> <img src="http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8863"/>
    Aww, he is very cute! We have a gate on our playroom door but our pup can now jump over it! She also likes to pinch all the toys!


    FB_IMG_1461141904328-1.jpg



    FB_IMG_1461141776275-1.jpg

  7. Likes ajc, tulip0803, AliceK liked this post
  8. #6
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I've got conflicting advice about this (as usual )

    We have a new puppy, which I have risk assessed. Do I need to ring Ofsted to tell them?

    I wasn't going to, as I felt a RA was enough but the childminder up the road said that she nearly received a warning because she hadn't notified them. She also said the inspector said that the dog needs to stay out of the way of the children......something which I don't agree with at all because the puppy needs to get used to the children not be kept sepertate
    There is no reason why you should receive conflicting advice

    You can inform Ofsted using the new online tool to advice of any changes to your setting...consultation with parents, RA and steps you have taken including Health in case of allergies and hygiene... and children's safety

    It is not individual inspectors who make the regulations...it is Ofsted itself who is the regulator whose guidance is the one that counts.

    Hope you get it sorted...Good luck !

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I got a dog and didn't inform ofsted. I have a risk assessment and pet policy in place. The dog mixes with the children and they love it. During my inspection the dog decided to do a poo right in the middle of the garden - something she never does as she has a specific area she normally uses. I nearly died. I picked it up and then rinsed the area through.
    I apologised to the inspector and she said 'it happens and you dealt with it as per your policy'

    She gave me outstanding!

  10. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    2,921
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks everyone. I have gated the kitchen off which where he spends most of his time, with access to the garden. He doesn't go in the playroom as he's not 'potty trained' yet

    The kids have supervised access. I went for a non shedding poodle cross due to allergies (my dh is allergic and has been fine)
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the never never land fighting off fae
    Posts
    7,000
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Thanks everyone. I have gated the kitchen off which where he spends most of his time, with access to the garden. He doesn't go in the playroom as he's not 'potty trained' yet

    The kids have supervised access. I went for a non shedding poodle cross due to allergies (my dh is allergic and has been fine)
    I have a gate across my kitchen too but it's there to protect dogs from the children as they need their space too
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Thanks everyone. I have gated the kitchen off which where he spends most of his time, with access to the garden. He doesn't go in the playroom as he's not 'potty trained' yet

    The kids have supervised access. I went for a non shedding poodle cross due to allergies (my dh is allergic and has been fine)
    A crate is great for dogs too. It's somewhere they can retreat to if the children are getting too much for it

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In LaLa Land
    Posts
    3,598
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Love the photos of all your puppies, they are so sweet, I want another one, my "puppy" has just turned 2yrs.

    xxx

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
New Puppy New Puppy New Puppy

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk