ofsted registered madness?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ofsted registered madness?!

so I have been offered a job as a nanny but they want me to be ofsted registered I am already obviously as a childminder and will most likely have to ring them and ask 50 questions. Does anyone know if its like another whole process like CM'ing? I have been reading threads that say you still get inspected and all the paperwork u have to do?! this is what I wanted to get away from but my new employers really want the oftsed registered nanny purely because they can get childcare vouchers to pay through! help please

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I added home childcarer to my Ofsted registration at the beginning of last year, I rang and asked and they did it straight away, no questions asked or fee to pay. I can't remember what paperwork needs doing as I also mind for the same family so have it all anyway. Don't forget to inform your insurance though to make sure you're covered.

3. Likes Jessymax liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jessymax View Post
    so I have been offered a job as a nanny but they want me to be ofsted registered I am already obviously as a childminder and will most likely have to ring them and ask 50 questions. Does anyone know if its like another whole process like CM'ing? I have been reading threads that say you still get inspected and all the paperwork u have to do?! this is what I wanted to get away from but my new employers really want the oftsed registered nanny purely because they can get childcare vouchers to pay through! help please
    I would research this a little bit and prepare for your interview so that you also have the facts in front of you.

Nannies are well represented by a Union so I would ask for advice.
    Any nanny...in my opinion...will be better off being registered with Ofsted due to future policies...but I am sure you will want to find out yourself.

Make sure you make the parents understand the difference between a nanny and a home childcarer...if you are employed by the parents will they contribute to your pension? what about sickness and leave benefits?
    will you have a contract?
    if they want to access childcare vouchers and other benefits they will want a registered nanny.

what is your pay and are they going to change it to 'shared nanny' in future?...be careful about that.

Not easy but I am sure you will prepare yourself. ...after the interview ask them to give you time to think about the job.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Simona; 08-04-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The main difference is that is the name ofsted use lol its all abit of a faff I have already been interviewed and offered it yes have a contract yes from 2017 they pay into my pension. Exactly there is no benefit for me but is for them to use vouchers and obviously they will pay for the fee yearly and public liability etc I will give the big O a call this aft

Simona Guest

The main difference is that is the name ofsted use lol its all abit of a faff I have already been interviewed and offered it yes have a contract yes from 2017 they pay into my pension. Exactly there is no benefit for me but is for them to use vouchers and obviously they will pay for the fee yearly and public liability etc I will give the big O a call this aft
    Excellent...you could also ring one of the representing associations who cover nannies and look at what they can offer for you.
    There will be benefits for you and the parents if everything is in place.

Ofsted inspections for nannies are nothing like other providers....so much easier.

7. Likes Jessymax liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Jessymax, will you post up the info you get please. It's something I am considering for our next posting. Thank you xx

Good luck with it all if you go ahead.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Excellent...you could also ring one of the representing associations who cover nannies and look at what they can offer for you.
    There will be benefits for you and the parents if everything is in place.

Ofsted inspections for nannies are nothing like other providers....so much easier.

It would be really interesting to find out exactly how different they are. Obviously as a nanny you don't have control over the environment so if the parents don't have the resources set up in a way that children can self select then a nanny can't do anything about that - or if the family have a ton of poisonous plants in the garden etc. I guess they would want to check that safeguarding knowledge is there etc.

I'm wondering if Ofsted registered nannies have to do learning journeys or written planning.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    [/COLOR]

It would be really interesting to find out exactly how different they are. Obviously as a nanny you don't have control over the environment so if the parents don't have the resources set up in a way that children can self select then a nanny can't do anything about that - or if the family have a ton of poisonous plants in the garden etc. I guess they would want to check that safeguarding knowledge is there etc.

I'm wondering if Ofsted registered nannies have to do learning journeys or written planning.
    I know what they entailed before but would like to look into any changes now
    Remember that if parents want Ofsted registered nannies they also have to contribute to the inspection and collaborate.

I' ll look into it.

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is just a difference name if you are 'Ofsted ' registered its basically the same. Its up to the individual or agency to ask for what you want/expect.. obviously if you are registered you can ask for more perks. Its like 1 in 100 home child carers who get inspected and the inspector often does not want to come to the family you 'nanny' fors home they come to yours or somewhere in public just to check your first aid and ask any safeguarding questions because the worlds gone mad basically! I am able to switch my PLI from CM to HC and get a refund as its less and the family are paying for registration although it says It could take 12 weeks hopefully not as its no where near as lengthy as becoming a cm and that took long enough! will keep you all updated x

13. Likes singingcactus liked this post
    Simona Guest

This document...and many others on the Ofsted website...will clarify the implications for registering as a nanny
    There are responsibilities on both parents and the nanny herself

Nannies do get inspected as the document states

https://www.tinies.com/childcare-job...d-nannies.html

Simona Guest

More info about nannies from BAPN

https://www.bapn.org.uk/Parents_Advice.aspx

This from the Gov.uk website on employing a nanny

https://www.gov.uk/au-pairs-employment-law/nannies

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Simona thanks for taking time to look for info for me, very kind of you i had seen the Tinies one before- its very clear and helpful. Been on phone to Ofsted this morn to a very nice lady she explained the best option would be to put home child carer as my secondary provision but make it clear on my registration I will have no children on roll from end of may. This means I don't have to pay a new fee to swap and i'm keeping it there in case I want to go back to it in the next 3 years and if babies came along I suppose that would be a good thing..
    She said 10% nannies get inspected so it is unlikely and all I have to do in the mean time for both child minder with no children on roll and home child carer is keep update date with DBS( im on update service) first aid ( doesn't expire until 2018) and PLI I have had an email back off MM that they will refund me some money as PLI in my own home is obviously more expensive than to cover myself as a nanny so they are going to switch it over to correct one and refund me some.
    feeling positive! Now to tell the other families arghhh

17. Likes singingcactus liked this post
    Simona Guest

I hope it all works out for you and you will be happy.

I put the links here also to help anyone else who may be thinking of switching from Cm to nanny...or home childcarer...it is never an easy decision for some and clarity helps.

Good luck

19. Likes Jessymax liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Simona thanks for taking time to look for info for me, very kind of you i had seen the Tinies one before- its very clear and helpful. Been on phone to Ofsted this morn to a very nice lady she explained the best option would be to put home child carer as my secondary provision but make it clear on my registration I will have no children on roll from end of may. This means I don't have to pay a new fee to swap and i'm keeping it there in case I want to go back to it in the next 3 years and if babies came along I suppose that would be a good thing.. She said 10% nannies get inspected so it is unlikely and all I have to do in the mean time for both child minder with no children on roll and home child carer is keep update date with DBS( im on update service) first aid ( doesn't expire until 2018) and PLI I have had an email back off MM that they will refund me some money as PLI in my own home is obviously more expensive than to cover myself as a nanny so they are going to switch it over to correct one and refund me some. feeling positive! Now to tell the other families arghhh
    Good luck jessymax, how many families have you got left to tell? X

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya 2 families
    Me too hope its the right decision but I think it is I am really not happy working from home I need some away from home time and plus the town where this new job is has groups on every mon and aft so plenty of adults to meet x

22. Likes mumofone liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya 2 families
    Me too hope its the right decision but I think it is I am really not happy working from home I need some away from home time and plus the town where this new job is has groups on every mon and aft so plenty of adults to meet x
    aw good luck, I'm sure they'll be fine, they'll just want you to be happy :-) x