Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which drinking glasses for kids?

I need to buy some new drinking glasses for children - just broke one of my last ones and can't remember where they came from. I want glass ones which are easy for little hands to hold. Any recommendations? Ikea?...

Thanks x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use these:

We have always used this size for fresh orange juice in the morning and red wine in the garden - I usually stock up from a French supermarket every summer but I found these last year and they are not expensive but look good and are dw proof - the French ones sometimes cloud a bit but these are still sparkling- though they are made in France too.

They are just the right size for little hands too so I use them when we are at the table.
    They are about the size of school glasses too, so good prep.

Buy Duralex Picardie Single Tumbler 0.25L | John Lewis
    Last edited by FloraDora; 17-03-2016 at 12:15 AM.

3. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Charity shops often have shelves of glasses to choose from. I like ones with straight sides so the base is a big as the rim, harder to knock over. And I like short glasses- I have some about 3" tall with straight sides and they are perfect.

5. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay! Good to know there are other childminders that don't use plastic!

7. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine were from Ikea. They're the perfect size for little hands and have a raised pattern on the outside which I think makes them easier to grip than plain, smooth sides.

I did always use plastic, out of habit I guess, but I switched to glass after reading posts on here and wondering why I didn't use them!

9. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Mine were from Ikea. They're the perfect size for little hands and have a raised pattern on the outside which I think makes them easier to grip than plain, smooth sides.

I did always use plastic, out of habit I guess, but I switched to glass after reading posts on here and wondering why I didn't use them!
    Must admit I do use plastic cups and you say probably out of habit. But I do get them knocked to the ground as least once a week so that stops me changing. I switched from using plastic knives forks and spoons many years ago and actually had a potential parent comment how good it was to see a 1 yo using a real fork
    Tess1981

11. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    Must admit I do use plastic cups and you say probably out of habit. But I do get them knocked to the ground as least once a week so that stops me changing. I switched from using plastic knives forks and spoons many years ago and actually had a potential parent comment how good it was to see a 1 yo using a real fork
    I find that glass is heavier so we have less mishaps! Also we do have carpet so if it falls to the ground and as mine are thick glass they don't break. However if I had laminate, I mightn't be so keen on glass.

13. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the large american soda style. They are heavy and tall but the kids do great with them and they come in all different colours. When my !husband! drops them, they tend to survive too haha. Because they are heavy the kids must use 2 hands, so they get a better grip to start with, and because they are heavy they are easier to pour into when you are just learning to use a jug and feel the need to rest the spout on the lip of the glass. Less tipping.

15. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd love to use glass ... but I have a stone tiled kitchen floor - great for messy play, but not so forgiving for dropping anything on!

we do use china plates and proper cutlery from about age 3/4 when sitting at the 'big' table, but at the small low table its plastic plates and cups!

I've just got some small china jugs for pouring from - they are quite heavy and so far, the LOs have kept them on the table ... maybe i'll be brave and move to glasses for the LOs!

17. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post