could anyone spare a minute to help..
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default could anyone spare a minute to help..

I have decided to give notice and make a change as I have been unhappy from day one in this job and cant/don't want to hold out any longer to see if things get better. I care for 2 children in particular whose parents are good friends of 10 years and they travel a long way to use me so I am feeling guilty even though I shouldn't but kind of want to send a similar email/letter to all parents don't really know where to start with it though.. xx

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean you are giving notice to all parents, or just some?

I think the written notice should be short and purely factual, you don't want to be getting personal or emotional in writing- state date you are giving notice, how it is in accordance with your contract, the last date of care and about any last payments/deposit refunds etc. A line about what a pleasure it has been to work with them and how you wish them all the best for the future.

But I would be speaking to each family in person- so I would invite them in and tell them that sadly due to xyz I am having to close/change my business and that it has been a very hard decision etc. Offer to give a few names of local CMers who might be able to help, if relevant, and then hand them the letter saying it is the formal notice in writing.

Of course it is natural to feel guilty, but try to keep a business head on.

Are you leaving CMing? I hope you are okay... Hugs x

Post Thanks / Like

hi moggy thanks for your reply, no im giving up all together after a measly 3 months at it.. pathetic eh! Its just not for me and I am extremely lonely and low went to docs yesterday I will be ok when ive given notice I think I will start to feel abit better x

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not pathetic, just sometimes things don't work out. It happens. I hope the notice giving goes smoothly, as moggy says, just keep it short and simple. Good luck with your future plans, wherever they may take you xxx

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, sorry you feel it hasn't worked for you. Good advice given so far. Good luck in your new venture and be happy!

Post Thanks / Like

It takes great strength to admit when things are not right. Hold your head high, you have nothing to feel sorry about. May you be blessed with future opportunities xxx

7. Likes Jessymax, Maza liked this post
    sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

You've done the right thing I'm sure, some positives: you gave it a go, learnt lots I'm sure, became self employed, made a lovely safe environment for others kiddies well done

9. Likes Jessymax liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Childminding can be a fantastic job, but it isn't for everybody. It takes a lot of courage to accept that and to look at moving on.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you and I hope you go on to find a job that you love.

If you take one positive thing from the experience it has to be that you found all of us, so it can't have been all bad

11. Likes Jessymax liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessymax View Post
    I have decided to give notice and make a change as I have been unhappy from day one in this job and cant/don't want to hold out any longer to see if things get better. I care for 2 children in particular whose parents are good friends of 10 years and they travel a long way to use me so I am feeling guilty even though I shouldn't but kind of want to send a similar email/letter to all parents don't really know where to start with it though.. xx
    Hi jessy, I'm new to childminding too and it's really tough to find your feet and get the right mix of children etc.
    Are you sure you definitely want to give it up or just struggling with a certain aspect of it?
    I find it take a thick skin despite outsiders probably thinking its a bit of a doss job I think it's far from it!!
    Good luck if you do decide to pursue something else but is hate for you to stop CMing if you're just going through a bad patch.
    Good luck with whatever you decide :-) xxx

13. Likes Jessymax liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for all your advice and kind words ive had quite an emotional and draining weekend talking through with family. Basically I bought my first house and set up as a child minder all in the last 5 months and its obviously been too much and not the right thing I moved 15 miles from the village where I lived all my life and where both my parents and my partners parents live and i knew i would miss it but never thought this much! im so so homesick its really difficult because its out of out reach affordability i am going to open night at college tomorrow to go down the midwifery route which has always been my second option and trying to take 1 day at a time. Went to the docs on fri as my poor mum was so worried as i was out of character and very low but already feel better for talking to my close ones x

Post Thanks / Like

Also do I just need to notify ofsted?
    Or do I need to email LA (even though no funded children, insurance (even though already paid fo ryear so wont be refunded, ICO...

Post Thanks / Like

help please x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also do I just need to notify ofsted?
    Or do I need to email LA (even though no funded children, insurance (even though already paid fo ryear so wont be refunded, ICO...
    Once you have given notice to everyone that's when you need to tell people.

You can keep your registration open for a while because if you decide to cone back then you won't have to do everything again but you would have to keep your insurance and first aid valid.

If you do decide to resign once all you children have finished inform ofsted they will then write to you.
    Then I would tell my do (if you have one but ofsted will inform your early years team).
    Cancel your insurance/ico.

Good luck with the midwifery
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

hi sorry whats do?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

hi sorry whats do?
    Development Officer - someone at your LA on the Early Years team.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

DO is same as LA xx

Post Thanks / Like

still haven't plucked up the courage to send notice do you guys think this is ok.. or anything else added..

Wednesday 9th March 2016
    Dear parents,

It is with regret I am writing to inform you I am giving my 4weeks notice from the date on this letter.
    I have given a lot of thought before coming to this decision but I feel quite unhappy and sad that it isn’t working out how I thought it would. It is quite isolating and although I love looking after the children I feel I need to go back to being employed, working with other adults too.
    I am very sorry for any inconvenience and I am happy to point you in the direction of other local child minders or help in any way I can.
    Thank you for your understanding.
    Jessica

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Hun, whilst the letter reads well, I don't necessarily think that you need to put so much emotion into the letter. If you really need to explain why you're giving the career up you could possibly tell them your reasons face to face if asked. I would keep it as professional and straight to the point in the written correspondence as possible. Something along the lines of "whilst I have really enjoyed looking after your child/children I have decided that being self employed isn't a route that works for me any more" leave the isolation bit out but as I say, feel free to explain that in person if pushed.

Hth and good luck in what you decide to do x

23. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Kaybeea. I would keep it factual and brief. Leave out any emotion and any mention of how unhappy and tough you've found it in case parents start to doubt or question the care you've been giving their children.

I'd say something along the lines of

Dear parents

It is with regret that I am writing to give you 4 weeks notice that due to personal reasons I am closing my childminding business. The last day of care will be X date.

I have loved the time I have spent with the children and will miss them greatly. I will be able to give you the names of other local childminders if this will help in your search for alternative care. I will also do what I can to help the children with a smooth transition to a new setting.

I wish you all the very best and thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards

25. Likes Lal, loocyloo, JCrakers liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Mouse's draft sounds right. Leave the emotional bit for a face to face chat, keep the written word purely factual and business-like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast