Next steps...1 year old
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Next steps...1 year old

I have a one year old who is starting to walk (PD) (quite well!), babbles away, makes eye contact, smiles, laughs, communicates by crying etc (c&l). Has bad anxiety if I leave the room (PSED).
    I feel they are perfect for their age.
    What kind of thing can I suggest as their next steps?
    I was going to do -
    Ensure enough space to move freely etc (PD)
    Sing and read (c&l)
    Work on their confidence for when I leave room (not sure how?!) -psed

Am I on the right track? Can anyone advise/help!! ? :-)

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I often am working on things like using a spoon to feed themselves, using an open cup for drinks at the table, listening for first words and attempts at words and building on single words ('dog!', 'yes, a big dog!'), starting to notice the marks they make, cooperative games like rolling a ball to each other, looking at photos of family and friends, following simple instructions...

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

For the anxiety, play hiding things behind or under toys or blankets and let baby find them it builds up there confidence that you are still there when out of sight.

4. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are doing enough so don't worry unless you have an inspection coming up!

I find 1 years olds very fickle in their development anyway as they are so young. So you might find they do something great but then don't or won't do it again for ages so just go with the flow.

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For the separation anxiety, I play peepo round the door/furniture, as then they are sad/worried for a few seconds, then learn to associate it with laughing.

For the walking, on your plans you could put that you'll put toys in different places and at different levels (on low furniture /tables) to encourage their cruising, standing and walking.

For the talking, in addition to sing and read you've said, I say I'll chat to them about everyday activities whilst emphasising key words 'you've got a CAR, it's a lovely red CAR. Does your CAR go zoooom?' Also you can listen to their babble, isolate a sound or two and repeat it back to them, whilst making eye contact and smiling , as a 'conversation' to show you value and respect their contribution and encourage them to babble more.

Hope that helps, it's what I'll be suggesting for my 1 year old in his starting report soon. ;-)

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For one year olds like this I do sensory baskets, introduce baskets for exploring, encourage walking in different environments eg outside and in, exploring books - flaps, textures etc, next step of routine eg trying to feed themselves etc, daily songtime and how they respond /encourage speech....